1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming said goodbye to Shanghai

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by windandsea, Oct 19, 2002.

1. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

Yao Ming, his father and his headcoach of Shanghai Sharks at the sendoff and celebration at this morning (Houston time).

[​IMG]

2. Truth

Truth Member

w&s, has he already left for Houston?!!

3. windandsea

Not yet. Now it's night at Shanghai. I think he will leave at tomorrow morning (American time tonight).

4. Truth

Truth Member

I (for the fist time) hope you're wrong. I hope he's already boarded and is on the way. But, your most likely right.

5. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Remember that he gains a day. Leaving tonight, which is Sunday his time, he will arrive on Sunday here.

6. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

oops...it Saturday here today isnt't it?

Few too many Heinekins last nite...:eek:

7. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Would it hurt him to smile? Just once? I never see him smile.

:) :) :) :)

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It not sunday yet there. Its about 9:00 pm Saturday. Flights usually leave in the morning and it should take about 12-15 hours not including lay overs. He will gain about 12 hours so he will get here in the afternoon. This goes along with Old schools scoop of 4:00 pm sunday.

9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

If you check back you can find him with a smile! He only smiles when he has something to smile about. He is Chinese and they dont smile so often like Americans.I expect he will arrive on the 4.45pm flight from San Francisco,on United.

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

I like it that he doesn't smile. He has that stone cold look on his face and other plays might just find that intimidating. Unlike Shawn Bradley, who looks like Opie Taylor.

Im interested to see how Yao responds on the court emotionally. Will he not hesitate to pump his fists when he throws down a dunk? Will Steve Francis teach him Hanging on The Rim 101?
    I think he will be almost Tim Duncan-like in his on court demeanor. Very professional and I think that will only help him gain respect more quickly.

11. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

It's now Saturday in China past midnight and I think he is leaving in a couple of hours and it will take him at least 18 to 20 hrs before he arrives here in Htown!

12. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

I've got to hand it to Yao Ming...This cat looks like James Dean in every shot...I like it!!

:cool:

13. windandsea

[​IMG]

Ming visited his teacher of elementary school (first grade) at the morning of 19th.

14. windandsea

[​IMG]

Ming visited the Sports School of Shanghai, where he began his bball training, at the morning of 19th.

#14 windandsea, Oct 19, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2002
  15. windandsea

[​IMG]

19th, morning, Ming at the Sports School of Shanghai.

#15 windandsea, Oct 19, 2002
  16. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Since Yao can grab the rim standing on his tip toes, I don't think he'll be very successful at that Hangin' on the Rim class! ;)

If Yao develops a Duncan type demeanor, it will fit really well with the enthusiastic natures of Cat, Steve, & Moochie. Now that I've thought about it, there are quite a few Rockets with a very focused no nonsense game attitude - EG, KT, OT, T,Mo, and Boki. Although for some of the "rooks", it just may be nerves.
    :)

Darn you, Doc Rocket...now I can't get that Eagles song "James Dean" out of my head. Except I keep hearing them sing "Yao Ming, Yao Ming...so hungry and so lean...".

#16 GATER, Oct 19, 2002
  17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Thanks Wind and Sea for posting these (and previous) pics of Yao. Really gives you a sense of the guy, plus the significance of his move from China to the US and NBA. I hope that the fans, media, and organization takes all this into account while he starts his career with the Rockets.

I am really happy Houston selected Yao in the draft, since it seems he is a really good person and player and I think Houston is the type of environment where he will find the transition easier (than places like LA, NY, Chicago, SF).

18. windandsea

He showed his smile at three out of four photos that I posted today.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I bet there must be lots of sentimentalism there as he said goodbye to his root.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

That was the sense I got as well... it was kind of sad, seeing him tour old schools, gyms, etc.