1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Yao Ming named to All-NBA Third Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yetti, May 17, 2006.

1. Chronz

Chronz Member

Its been a long time comin but I was finally able to register. PS anyone know Julio- on these forums

2. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Let me be the FIRST to say that he doesn't deserve to be behind ben wallace.

3. dream2franchise

I give credit for guys like Yao and Zo for at least trying to make a defensive play. Shaq's great at getting out of the way i'll give him that.

4. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I understand the jinxing part but luckily Yao already has enough pressure on him and he has handled it well. I think he will be able to cope with the pressure pretty well.

5. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

the problem is it seems like everybody forgot the rockets and Yao and the way he played D.. dont u guys remember ??? I used to go crazy, jump up and down and shout like a freakin r****d when Yao puts his hands up like a sissy and jumps to the offensive player, and gets called for the foul... then, he makes that r****ded "did u just call a foul" face and claps his hands like a Kindergarten kid.. that's the story of everygame.. I start shouting like a r****d in front of the T.V that my mom thinks I have serious problems and I shouldn't watch the rockets anymore...I keep saying, either block his a$$ or take the freakin charge.. dont try to do both at the same time... did y'all forget ???

6. compucomp

compucomp Member

What are you doing on this forum? This isn't a Miami Heat or Shaquille O'Neal fan forum.

Besides, you're just wrong. Looking at this season's numbers, Shaq's rebounding numbers are NOT better (per 40 minutes: Shaq 12.0 Yao 11.9), Shaq's defense is NOT better (dRtg on basketball-reference (points given up per 100 possessions, clearly lower numbers better): Shaq 102 Yao 100), and Yao gets to the line quite a bit (FT attempts per 40 minutes: Shaq 10.4 Yao 8.1). I think everyone would agree that Shaq goes to the line quite a bit, so Yao's FT attempts, while not as high, certainly indicate that he goes to the line a lot, as well.

Try looking at the numbers next time before making blanket statements that just aren't true.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/onealsh01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mingya01.html

7. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

yao ming will never get the respect he deserves. 75% of the sports writers would have to eat their words for that to happen.

8. Chronz

Chronz Member

Umm you may be right about Wallace but Shaq had the better year ALL things considered.

9. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

well, excuse him Mr. Compucomp. last time I checked it says that u dont have to be a Miami heat fan to tell the truth and express ur opinion...

10. compucomp

compucomp Member

What he says isn't the truth. It's clearly lies, as the statistics I produced show.

11. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

ok guys, that should do it for me today... I will be excitingly waiting for ur replies and attacks :D ..just to wrap things up, let me make a little summary of my opinion:

Yao is a great player, he might be the best center after his great development, but we've only seen his development for 2 months, I dont think it was enough for experts to give him 1st team selection.. Shaq is still around, he aint as good as the old days, but he is still a great player and a great center.. he deserves 1st team for his age and achievements... Ben Wallace is just a joke, he shouldn't be 2nd team.. he is way overrated.. Yao should've been 2nd team.. but experts did that on purpose because the Pistons keep saying that nobody gives them credit...
    in the end, nobody cares who gets picked for what, it's all about what you believe and what u think are the most important qualities for classification..

I had a great time sharing opinions and ideas with y'all, talk 2 y'all later...

12. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

Ben Wallace blew a chance to give the Pistons the lead for the first time since early in the second quarter when he missed two free throws with 40 seconds left. That left one of the NBA's worst free-throw shooters 0-for-7 for the game, which remained tied at 84. Cleveland's third straight win en route to a 3-2 lead in the second round series.

13. choujie

choujie Member

If you wateched game, you would recognize Yao gets worse treatment from refs than Shaq. Especially before Allstar break, (and you called that a bad first half season on Yao, but Shaq gets a free pass.) Even after surgery, he only got calls for like 4 or 5 games before everything went back to normal.

14. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Whoever voted the guy who was 0-7 from the FT line and single handedly cost his team an important playoff game is moron.

Maybe that's the status the current NBA, or this is a league that deep down is a league of racists. They would take a 7ppg black player who cannot shoot FTs to save his life over a 23 ppg Asian player. LOL!

15. choujie

choujie Member

Skill or not, come out to help is defense. If not, how could Ben Wallace win defensive player of the year?

Please don't say Shaq is better than Yao on D when he doesn't even try.

16. choujie

choujie Member

Now I see your problem. You gotta realize NBA 1st team award is neither a lifetime achievement award nor a senior citizen discount program.

17. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

ok now, comparing Ben and Yao defensively is just non-sense... it's not even close,.. it's not even a debate or anything..
    and please , what do u mean he doesn't try ??? stop bashing Shaq... Shaq is a great player, the reason I respect him that much is because he admitted that Hakeem dusted his butt... Shaq is a man.. Shaq is the best center today... he deserves 1st team.. and i understand that it's not a life-time achievement, but it's not a 2-month streak either...

18. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

well, I thought I said the exact same thing in my post.. I said Yao gets screwed by refs.. it improved a lil bit after the surgery... but refs are Messing with Shaq right now in the playoffs... that's really messed up...

19. bulk

bulk Member

It's amazing the same person who defended TMAC hard in the TMAC vs Kobe thread now diss Yao with the same passion.

- Yao played well because he has great luck. Shaq sucked only because he had bad luck.

- Shaq's great even with the injury. Yao's injury? Oh that's just crap.

- Shaq didn't get more points because he just didn't need to. Yao got more points only because TMac's not there.

- Yao makes some good defense? Well, that's only JVG told him to. How great is that?

- Shaq has good teammates -- yeah that's because Shaq made them better. Yao has worse teammates, oh yeah that's all Yao's fault. Yao brought them to lotty.

- Ft doesn't mean ****, if you can't get there. (You forgot to compare how many fts they made in this season.)

- Yao's defense is crap. Not worthy of a thing. At this height he should have .......

Wow, just wow.

Mind you: you don't have to diss a core player in the team to praise the other. They're at the same team, our team (well if you're really more a Rockets fan than a Heat one).

BTW, if you wanna diss Yao, just do so. Stop those "I like Yao", "Don't get me wrong" crap. Please, at least be a man.

20. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

How in the heck can Yao be on the All-NBA third team? :confused:

I'm sure its been debated already on the past 6 pages of this thread but I'm so flabergasted by this I have to get this out.

OK I can see an argument for Shaq but Ben Wallace ahead of Yao?

I like Ben Wallace and think he's a valuable part of the Pistons but how can he be compared to the all around talent of Yao and how valuable Yao is to the Rox?