1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming information from the NBA Draft Media Guide

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Vengeance, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

This info is obviously VERY OLD, but I figured I'd post it just in case anyone is interested.

I bought an NBA Draft Media Guide on Ebay -- the same one they give to the broadcasters, etc. It's got everyone in here! I figured I'd post what they say about Yao Ming. It's all old news, but still cool to see:

<b>On Page 4, in the Section for Top Prospects:</b>
    <blockquote>
    <b>Yao Ming, 7-5, 296, Shanghai Sharks (China) - Projected Position: Center/Forward</b>

Yao will face enormous expectations, which is not altogether fair considering the numerous adjustments he will have to make to the NBA style of play. While the league is evolving to accept a quicker, more athletic type of player, Yao will have some matchup problems going against more muscular frontcourt types. However, his height and perimeter abilities will give opponents headaches. Those with NBA memories that extend back to the mid-1990s will recall how easily 7-7 Gheorghe Muresan of the Washington Bullets was able to set up 10 feet from the basket, turn and shoot a simple jump shot without any worries about a defender blocking his shot. Muresan, not nearly as athletic or mobile as Yao, shot about 58 percent from the field over a three-year stretch and averaged from 10 to 14 points.

"I think he will be a force eventually, but he will take time to develop," said Indiana Pacers President Donnie Walsh. "He does remind me of [longtime Pacers center] Rik Smits. He is bigger and probably more skilled than Rik was when he came into the league."

"The things that impress you are that he has very solid post moves and a soft touch around the basket," said Miami Heat President and General Manager of Basketball Operations Randy Pfund.</blockquote>

<b>Yao Ming's Bio page (150)</b>
    <blockquote>
    <b>Yao Ming

Full Name: Yao Ming
    Position: Center
    Height/Weight: 7-5 (2.26m) / 296 (134kg)
    Birthdate: September 12, 1980 <i>MY BIRTHDAY!!! SAME DAY/YEAR!!! HOW COOL IS THAT!!!</i>
    Team: Shanghai Sharks (China)</b>

<i>It has his stats listed here, but I'm not up to making a table for them right now. If there's sufficient interest I'll do it, but it's the same you can find on the net</i>

One of the most highly anticipated players ever to join the NBA, Yao has rapidly developed into the best and most dominant player in China. Held well-attended workout for NBA general managers and scouts in Chicago on May 1, 2002. Performed in the 2000 Summer Olympic Games in Australia. Follows fellow China National Team members Wang Zhizhi of the Dallas Mavericks and Mengke Bateer of the Denver Nuggets to the NBA. Scouting reports note Yao's agility and quickness for a player of his height. Possesses a soft shooting touch and has shooting range out to 15 feet. Has improved his free throw shooting to above 75 percent.

In the 2001-02 CBA (China Basketball Association) season, Yao led the league in blocked shots (4.8 bpg), and ranked 2nd in scoring (32.4 ppg) and rebounding (19.0 rpg). He was even more dominant in the championship series, where he led the Sharks to a 3-1 victory over the Bayi Rockets, earning Shanghai's first CBA championship. In that four-game series, he averaged 41.3 points, 21 rebounds, and 4.3 blocks. In the clinching 123-122 victory, Yao recorded 44 points, 21 rebounds and seven blocked shots. For the playoffs, he averaged 38.9 points, 20.2 rebounds and 3.5 blocks.

In the 2001 Asian Basketball Championship for Men, Yao helped the Chinese National Team capture the title and an accompanying berth in the 2002 World Championship, slated for Indianapolis, Indiana, late this summer. Yao, who was named MVP and the Top Rebounder, averaged 13.4 points, 10.1 rebounds, and 2.76 block shots in 20 minutes per game.

Yao became the dominant player in the CBA as a 20-year-old during the 2000-01 CBA season. Averaged 27.1 points, 19.4 rebounds and 5.5 blocked shots. In the first game of the CBA Finals against the Bayi Rockets and national teammate Wang Zhizhi, Yao scored 32 points and grabbed 21 rebounds to spark Shanghai to a 116-105 victory. In the second game of the series, scored 22 points and grabbed 24 rebounds, but Bayi won, 114-109. Yao was named the regular season MVP.

In the 2000 Olympic Games, led China in blocked shots (2.17 bpg), rebounds (6.0 rpg) and field goal percentage (63.9%) and was second in scoring (10.5 ppg). In the first game of competition against the USA Basketball Senior National Men's Team, was limited to 16 minutes by foul trouble, but tallied five points, three rebounds, two blocks and two assists in his brief time on the court. In 82-66 loss to Lithuania, scored a game-high 23 points, grabbed a team-high seven rebounds and added two blocked shots.</blockquote>

I also can type up the one for Bostjan Nachbar and Tito Maddox if anyone wants it.

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

<i>I also can type up the one for Bostjan Nachbar and Tito Maddox if anyone wants it.<i>

You da man! Thanks for the hard work. Nachbar & Maddox info from the Media Guide would be greatly appreciated whenever you have the time.

Thanks again!

3. Vengeance

Sure thing, I'll start on them right now.

I also got the 2000 media guide if anyone wants to hear about Jason Collier and Dan Langhi. I was hoping for 1999 and 1998 (Francis and Mobley), but the guy who got these for me doesn't have it. He's looking though.

4. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

No, I think we know all we need to about Jason Collier & Dan Langhi.

Thanks for the kind gesture, but I am sure that the 2002 Rookies will be more than enough.:D

5. Vengeance

<b>Bostjan Nachbar's Bio Page (pg. 105)</b>

<blockquote><b>Bostjan Nachbar

Full Name: Bostjan Nachbar
    Position: Forward
    Height/Weight: 6-9 (2.05 m) / 221 (100.2 kg)
    Birthdate: July 3, 1980 (Slovenj Gradec, Slovenia)
    Team: Benneton Treviso (Italy)</b>

<i>Same stats table as before. Maybe I'll put the time/effort into making a table later</i>

Originally an early entry candidate for the 2001 NBA Draft, he withdrew his name from consideration and is now eligible to be selected as a player playing outside the United States who i s in the calendar year of his 22nd birthday. A member of the Slovenian National Team, he has played for four teams in the past five seasons, explaining his uneven playing time and statistics. Played in the Slovenian All-Star Game in 1999 and 2000, and in the Nike Hoop Summit games of 1999 and 2000. Now playing for Benetton Treviso in Italy, where former NBA player and coach Mike D'Antoni is the head coach. Teammates include former NBA Guard Tyus Edney.

In his second season for Benetton Treviso in 2001-02, earned 24.1 minutes per game and averaged 13.7 points and 4.1 rebounds. Has become a capable three-point shooting threat, hitting 37.4 percent of his three-point attempts. Scored a season-high 30 points vs. Lauretana, making 11 of 12 two-point field goal attempts. Grabbed a season-high 10 rebounds vs. Adecco Milan.

In 2000-01 season, averaged 4.3 points and 1.5 rebounds in 11 minutes per game for Benetton. Became the youngest foreign player to play in the Italian A-1 League that season.

In 1999-2000 season, played for Pivovarna Lasko in Slovenia. Averaged 9.0 points and 2.6 rebounds in 31 minutes per game. Hit 17 of 40 three-point attempts.

In 1998-99 season, played for Maribor in Slovenia. Posted 12.3 ppg and 3.2 rpg in 24.3 mpg.

In 1997-98 season, played for Olimpija Ljubljana in Slovenia. Averaged 7.4 points and 2.4 rebounds in 19.8 minutes per game. His team won the Lithuanian national championship. Scouting reports say he is suited to the small forward position, as he loves the uptempo style and is a hard worker. He possesses good ballhandling skills for a player his size and can play both guard and forward.

According to the J&J European Basketball Register, has a well-rounded offensive game and is a team player. Their report indicates he can shoot facing the basket on the perimeter or use a jump hook close to the basket. Recent scouting reports praise his ability to run the court and finish on the break.

</blockquote>

Tito Maddox coming in a few minutes.

6. Vengeance

<b>Tito Maddox bio Page (pg. 95)</b>

<blockquote><b>Tito Maddox

Full Name: Theodore "Tito" Maddox
    Position: Guard
    Height/Weight: 6-4 (1.93m) / 190 (86.2 kg)
    Birthdate: June 7, 1981 (Compton, California)
    High School: Compton HS (Compton, California)
    College: Fresno State</b>

<i>Stats table . . . look it up somewhere else if you want it</i>

Early entry candidate for the 2002 NBA Draft. Originally an early entry candidate for the 2001 NBA Draft, but withdrew his name from consideration prior to the draft. Did not play college basketball during the 2001-02 season.

Played one season at Fresno State (2000-01). Named Western Athletic Conference Freshman of the Year, Named to WAC All-Newcomer Team, Selected First Team NABC District 13. Sat out first eight games of the season due to academic suspension. Signed with Fresno State in the spring of 1999. Sat out the 1999-2000 season while working to satisfy NCAA academic requirements.

In his sole college season, scored in double figures in 23 of 25 games. Led the WAC and was fourth in the nation in assists (8.0 apg). Averaged 13.5 points and 5.8 rebounds. Had five games with at least 10 assists, including a season-high 17 against TCU to go along with 16 points and nine rebounds. Had 130 assists in league play, the second-best mark in conference history. Recorded 14 assists and 10 points vs. SMU. Made his Bulldogs debut on December 19 against Toledo and registered 19 points and 13 assists. Scored a season-high 20 points against Louisiana-Lafayette and Hawaii. Twice named WAC Player of the Week.

<i>College SID: Steve Weakland (O) 559/278-2509</i>
    </blockquote>

There ya go.

7. mrbasketball

mrbasketball Member

thanks vengeance!!

how much did the booklet cost anyways??? that is a pretty cool collectors item...

8. Stevie Francis

good info, thanks. It makes me want to see them play even more.

9. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

What was Bostjan's career high in scoring? and Yao's as well that would interesting

10. Vengeance

Well, I overpaid for it at $17.50. I figured it'd be a HOT item so I did the "Buy it Now" option. The guy said he had the 2000 media guide and I got it at the same price. He was nice enough to also send me the Portland Trailblazers' Draft Guide too. It's actually worthless though -- it was probably given to fans or local media, and only has history of the Trailblazers' draft picks.

You can find them on ebay for around $5 or so, but the auctions are pretty scarce. Once every week or two there's one up for bids.

I've had this one for a month or so, but I haven't sat down and typed these things out for everyone until now.

11. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I think one of the Communist leaders of China was Mao or something like that. I'm only guessing cause I'm 15 myself.

*Edit* yep, that's him. I just checked for "China:Mao" on Google and he's that guy who you hear about from China. I don't know much about him, but there was a nice little article there.

12. Panda

Panda Member

Thanks vengeance. Always good to hear more on Boki and Maddox.

rocketsux:
    Hey LonghornRocket, do you need to be taught how to do trolling? register some other monikers before you post another idiotic post and get banned again. Your current one doesn't help your case at all, troll.

13. Vengeance

Mao Tse-Tung was the first communist chairman of China. It's also spelled Mao Zedung. <a href="http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/mao/">Here's a reference</a>.

Maybe tomorrow I'll do the Jason Collier and Dan Langhi just so we can look with hindsight on each player's promise (or lack thereof).