1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming: I Need To Excel/Surpass the Other Me

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Jul 30, 2007.

1. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Sigh, we actually need more sensible posters like Sherlock and durvasa on this board.

The 2 sore points of the first interview with certain posters on this board seems to be the words 'unstable' and 'jealous'.

If you all just focus on the literal meaning of that ONE word... and not take into account the larger picture, the history, the relationship, and myriad other factors, you will reach a wrong conclusion as to what was actually meant, or why it was actually said.

Of course, please don't forget that there are 2 different cultures at work here, 2 completely different meanings and 2 completely different interpretations.

Ultimately, we must look at Yao himself and his hopes for the future. Before the spire can get to the very top, you need a foundation to hold it up. And I repeat again, I am very happy that Yao is absolutely determined to become the foundation of the Rockets. T-Mac can get his glory. But Yao will be the foundation.

P.S. For those of you bashing Pruyen, please do not forget that he was responsible for loads of gems, the first coming to my mind was the interview with Adelman. Don't bash him on the account of you unsatisfaction with a couple of words in one article. LOOK AT THE GREATER PICTURE OF HIS CONTRIBUTIONS.

2. amadeus

amadeus Member

Yao is Yao.

There is an ancient Chinese saying: Rumors stop with the wise people.

I rather believe something wrong with translation or the reporter.

3. SmitingPurpleEm

Sina would never make up direct quotes. The stuff outside the direct quotes is often BS, but they can't make up Yao's quotes.

The translation is fine (I can read Chinese, was born in China, and have lived in America for years), and the fact that the board is jumping on "unstable" and "jealous" shows how difficult translating something is with all the subtle connotations. "Unstable" in this context means not Ron Artest unstable, but rather inconsistent. Given the surrounding sentences, I believe he's saying that McGrady's shot comes and goes these days, and he has hot and cold spells. He doesn't light it up as consistently as Kobe. "Jealous"... well... that is what he said. It is the correct translation. But he said he was only "a bit jealous" and then immediately qualifies it by saying that he's willing to be the guy that keeps the team in the game for 45 minutes while McGrady takes over the last 3 and wins the game and gets the glory.

My take is that he was stating the obvious in the first instance (a little too bluntly, IMO, and easy to be misrepresented if it falls into the hands of say ESPN), and in the second he was simply being human (I mean who the hell doesn't want to be recognized for their contribution to the team?) It's not a big deal.

4. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

I think a bunch of Rookies, nOObs, and shriveled up jealousy mongers need to STFU and read it. If you think it means something else, then by all means put it up for debate. Quit hating on people who actually contribute something to the site, that's not bashing, or drivel.

5. brando

brando Member

Maybe it was Hakeem telling Yao to take control?

6. haperkelu

haperkelu New Member

No doubt pryuen did a great job
    I am sorry for hurting other people inadvertently
    I registered this forum just one day ago
    I definitely think yao is not sour grape, so I said the translation is bad.......
    After reviewing the original ariticle,I think the pryuen's translation is obviously great
    But I want to point that some sina journalists who want to make sensational news are not responsible for the article
    Maybe this is the case that these journalists “translated” yao's words
    Again I apologize to pryuen

7. haperkelu

haperkelu New Member

In my opinion yao really meant that tracy is the go to guy who will take charge in the last 3 miniutes
    So yao think he will be the cornerstone and more suitable for this part
    Anyway yao is so smart that is there any chance that yao will display
    any evil feelings?:)

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I think what Yao is complaining about is not what that Tmac is doin int the end of games but Tmac is NOT doing in the start of games.. As Yao said, Tmac looks lazy in the start of games so Yao had to carry the burden early.. the problem is by the end of the game, Yao runs out of gas so there's no other choice but to have Tmac take over the game.. maybe they should be sharing the load throughout the game and not having one takeover at the start and the other at the end

9. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

again, let's stop interpreting what yao said. this is all hearsay. until we hear actual sound bytes of yao saying this, then this is all up for interpretation.

but again, if he did say this, it's not a very good thing.

yao has his faults too, does he want tmac to say it publicly? (get stripped easily, turnovers, dunks on...)

tmac def. has his faults and he is streaky, easily one of the most streakiest players in the L.

but really, do we want our players to air each other out publicly?

let's keep things IN HOUSE. i thought yao would understand this. if he wants tmac to play the whole game more seriously, sit down, chat w/ him face to face.

10. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

and after reading BASED ON THE TRANSLATIONS ONLY, i do think yao is jealous.

let's look at it like this. yao said tmac is unstable. that could mean ANYTHING. but then look at his example. he said tmac did basically nothing in the first half. then he exploded in the 2nd half. then he mentioned TMAC GOT ALL THE LOVE. yao got nothing. that's basically jealousy. yao was kinda mad he didn't get any recognition and rightfully so.

but he said he was a LITTLE jealous. but he will not let his individual jealousy get in the way of the ultimate goal, which is a championship. yao is a true team player.

but keep it IN HOUSE.

11. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

This thread can be boiled down in English very simply.

Let me spell this out so you guys can figure this out.

Translation - Yao
    I worked my azz off for the whole game. I carried this team on my shoulders for 40 minutes and T-Mac gets hot at the end of the game and gets all the credit? BS! Of course I wish I could have gotten some props but that's ok. I'm the guy this team depends on...the foundation.

Ok now who among you cares when an NBA player talks like that? I don't.

12. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

"IT"S ON ME", Tracy McGrady

13. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

and what is exactly wrong with that? it's on the best player to lead us. he failed. he got the blame.

he didn't put any other player's name in the conversation.

14. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

^ and u did notice the US media didn't blame yao much if at all for the playoff series. the TNT crew spent their whole post game on tracy and his failures AGAIN, outside of barkley feeling sympathetic for tracy.

15. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

Thanks Pryuen for all of your efforts. Don't let the people who critisize you affect you. Just ignore them.

Regarding the translation flap, what if he had said TMAC was "explosive but inconsistent" and that he wished he could get the credit that TMAC does for his late game heroics. What would be wrong with that? NOTHING....

Many of you are making way too much about this translation nonsense when the real news from this interview, as posted previously, is that Yao thinks he can play another 7 years and that the shoulder injury will most likely require surgery right after he completes the Beijing Olympics. That will really make a mess out of the Rockets season the year after that.....

16. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

yea the injury is serious news. but i'm sure if it's that serious, the rockets doctors and the organization as a whole would have talked to yao at length about that. yao's a HUGE investment to this organization and no way would they allow yao to play unless it wont affect his long term career.

17. The Drake

The Drake Member

Since this is an internet message board, I believe we're all literate here.

That being said, I don't think it's so difficult to read between the lines and get at what Yao really means. Of course, he's not wishing for TMac to fail or angry with his role. Just use some critical thinking skills and these misunderstandings could very well be avoided.

Thanks, Pryuen for the articles.

18. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

TMac is really under-appreciated for how handles his relation with Yao in the media...

Just imagine what would happen if Yao made the same "unstable etc." comments about Kobe...

19. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Well then he'd be tellin like it is :D

20. abc2007

abc2007 Member

The matter is Kobe is quite 'stable'. In fact, I think this seperates Kobe and Tmac.

I would like to think Yao's comments ('jealous' and 'unstable') as an encouragement rather than a 'bad mouth' to Tmac. How many nba stars are now jealous of Tmac after this playoff? I think most of them would feel 'sympathy'. Which word do you think Tmac likes to hear more ? I believe it is 'jealous'. Sometimes, jealous is an honor!

No question, Tmac is one of the most talent players in NBA history. But, if he wants to be one of the best players in NBA history, he needs to be more consistent. I think, as Tmac's teammate, Yao exactly knows what is Tmac's problem and what Tmac needs. He needs someone to urge him to work harder to keep his shooting stable! Kobe is 'stable' because he works very hard.

I hope Tmac can catch some fire from Yao's comments, and we can see a more 'stable' Tmac next season.