1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming: I am More Sad Than Anticipative

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, May 21, 2007.

1. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

This just shows that after 5 years, Yao still doesn't get it. The will to dominate. Great players (men with sack) never allow their coaches to rein them in. And a coach with confidence in his greatness would have never put a leash on him in the first place. You simply don't tell a great player that he has limits. The Bulls were Jordan's team. The Great Rockets were Hakeem's team. But the Rockets of the last 4 years have just been JVG's team. Makes no sense that the dominant alpha-male, tough b*stard, leader of your team is your diminutive coach and not either of your two ALL-STARs. Teams should take on the identity of their dominant players - not their coaches. This team ain't going nowhere 'til Yao grows some nuts and start dictating the direction of this team - no matter who the frickin' coach is.

2. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

he should be sad. Van gundy's half court slow it down style may be not the best for the Rockets as 3 first round exits have proven but sure is not the bad fit for the slowest player in the game.

3. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

You do know that were still gonna be a Prodominantly halfcourt team?. the pace will not change. what we are gonna see is more good off the ball movement and alot better passing. i dont think it will effect yao all that much..

4. pryuen

pryuen Member

YUP.........one of the biggest fallacies and misconceptions on Princeton Offense is that it is purely run and gun, which will pose big issues to Big Yao in terms of his speed and stamina.

But people just conveniently forgot that Princeton Offense originated from being one of the slowest half-court strategy/game plan, which stresses alot on with or without ball movement and crispy inter-player passing to create room and space for players to make open look shots. The importance of the centre in Princeton Offense is pretty much the same as the inside-out strategy/game plan....but the centre will be given more freedom, no longer just limited to low post scoring assignment but also has to take up more high-post play-making role.

IMHO, Princeton Offense won't impact Yao Ming much, but instead might take away from TMAC his "freedom" of taking "impromptu" wild jump shots during the JVG reign.

5. maopaopao

maopaopao Member

don't trust any words from Yang yi! He always write down what he imagined

6. weslinder

weslinder Member

The biggest fallacy and misconception is that Adelman has ever run a Princeton Offense. He has always run a motion offense. In Sacramento, he added a lot of high-low plays to that motion offense. But a Princeton Offense, because of its complexity and time to set up, would probably be impossible with a 24-second shot clock. And if attempted, it would probably push scores down into the 60s.

7. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

the importance of Vlade to Kings was pretty much the same as Dream's to the Rockets and Shaq's to the Lakers. yeah right. I would take JVG's Yao over King's Vlade any day of the week. but anyway let's all hope that extra freedom and high-post play-making role will elevate Yao into a truly all time great center which he's already on his way becoming under JVG.

8. bfunw

bfunw Member

Yeah but I also remember he didn't play with TMac during his first 2 seasons. Let's see whom he played with then...yes SF3 and Cat!

9. bfunw

bfunw Member

Now THAT is what I can agree with. "Great players (men with sack) never allow their coaches to rein them in...But the Rockets of the last 4 years have just been JVG's team." That's the reason I'm happy that they fired JVG, since under JVG, NOBODY can avoid the leash. But YM (and TMac) should "get it," stand up, dominant, and be the team's IDENTITY.

10. don grahamleone

This move wasn't made as a Yao move. If it was all about Yao, we'd repeat with the early round losses year after year. It's about the team because the NBA has become a five-player high scoring league and JVG's style wasn't welcome any more. If refs called the games like they did in the 90's, we would have swept the j*zz. Jeff is a great coach, but the league is moving away from that playing style because it's boring.

Expect to see different guys at the 1,3,4 next year too. (Maybe we keep Shane, but if the right offer comes up.. goodbye)

11. Man

Man Member

Yeah, 4 yeasr with Coach Van Gundy, he's sad at the moment..and he'll be "anticipative" later.

I liked JVG. I want to see what we can do with Adelman.

12. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He's got an accurate mid range jumper that JVG never ran a play for. It was always back to the basket style of moves.

13. Chronz

Chronz Member

BINGO

Yao's passing hasnt been so impressive the past 2 years

14. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

i think JVG used yao as best as he can. have u seen how slow yao is? u want him to face up more than he already has? dude will turn it over like a bajillion times.

yao should NEVER take jumpers unless it's 10 ft or in.

and yao is good at passing, but only when it's a clear double and it comes before he commits his dribble so he can look out and pass early. he's horrible when the double team comes late and he has to make a split decision

15. munco

munco Member

Maybe I've changed my mind since JVG has been coach, but I don't think having Yao with the ball 18 feet away is a good thing for the most part. He can hit the jumper and is a good passer, but with the ball out there I think a big man should also be able to take it off the dribble. When your Tim Duncan or KG you have the triple threat thing going. I don't think Yao dribbling is a good option thus I don't like him out there very often. Also, what about rebounding? The guy is 7'6" and I wish he grabbed even more boards than he does living in the paint. Is he going to get 7 rebounds a game if he plays out there more?

16. pacman

pacman Member

Another asset about Rick Adelman's coaching is his expertise with utilizing the bench and developing a player's game. He makes ordinary players look good. Bobby jackson and Doug christie looked all-star caliber under Adelman's kings but now under different teams and systems they look pretty ordinary.