1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming: I am More Sad Than Anticipative

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, May 21, 2007.

1. weslinder

weslinder Member

pryuen,

Thanks for the translation.

It stands to reason that Yao would be worried about this. He developed the most under Van Gundy, and has the most to lose under Adelman. If Adelman coaches Yao similar to any of his previous centers, he stands to lose a lot.

2. bbjai

bbjai Member

im worried to be honest that Yao's low block game will deteriorate under Adelman

3. emjohn

emjohn Member

I think this is something that has been greatly overlooked in the JVG tenure. When we first brought in Yao, it was clear how good a fit he was in the high post. JVG, to many posters' frustration, shackled him in the low post. He seemingly took a stance of "you will stay down there until you learn to dominate - then and only then maybe I'll let you back in the high post"

Made a bunch of us unhappy at the time, especially since it seemed like a huge amount of his game was going to waste. But you know what? He's developed into a near-MVP caliber center down there. Would that have happened if Jeff didn't force him to stay in the low blocks? I honestly have to wonder if Yao would have become Ric Smits 2 if he spent the last 4 years in the high post. He'd still be an All-Star, but I don't know that he'd be a game changer.

Jeff is gone, he was never going to be here next year after bombing out of the first again, but I do think he deserves a good bit of credit for Yao's development as a big man. It would seem in this article that Yao is affirming that.

Evan

4. GATER

GATER Member

Adelman is going to holdback Yao? Typical for a VGOF. Let's totally ignore that Adelman got out of the first round with Vlade, Brad Miller and Webber in the post.

5. MadMax

MadMax Member

you choose to be positive?? you told us you were giddy from the moment van gundy was fired.

6. lovemtracy

lovemtracy Member

Great job. I have read the Chinese article but still appreciate your translation very much.
    I believe that Yao will become better under Adelman!

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

thanks love reading this stuff

8. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Member

JVG certainly deserves credit for developing Yao's low post presence and toughening up his attitude but the promise of Yao has always been his soft hands, court vision and shooting range. Its great he can play in the low post but lets see what else he can do.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm concerned about the right shoulder. I don't recall this coming up during the season. (if I missed it, somebody point out when I did) Yet another season for Yao to be spending the summer on rest, conditioning, improving his skills, and insuring he comes back healthy for next season and the Olympics.

10. MadMax

MadMax Member

sorry, but i don't want my 7'6" center who looked like an MVP candidate in the low block moving out to shoot jumpers and hit cutters.

11. rhester

rhester Member

Thinking about Yao blasting around a pick for an open jumper is funny. :D

12. Rasselas

Rasselas Member

Good post. Agree 100%. It's like that scene in Braveheart, when a young William Wallace starts to play with a sword, and is then told, "First, I teach you to use this." [Taps forehead.] "Then, I teach you to use this." [Sword.]

13. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Member

I'm not and I don't think anyone is saying Yao Ming should always move out to shoot jumpers or hit cutters but that Yao has the option of doing that and mixes it up. Teams like Phoenix and the Jazz show that with a tough zone Yao can be neutralized by denying him good post position. If Yao can develop the skills that he first showed he can overcome those zones through outside shooting and passing.

I believe Yao has the skills to play both the low post and high post game and given the opportunity can be more than a one-dimensional post player.

14. rhester

rhester Member

You are right and especially off the high pick and roll.

But isn't the real problem with us our 3-7 players on our roster?

Yes, Yao could have stepped out and hit some 18 ft. shots, but we lost to Utah because of the mismatch that Yao faced on the defensive end. He couldn't go out and get to Okur on the 3 pt line and he just wasn't quick enough to deal with Boozer in the post. When Yao cannot guard a true low post center he struggles.

I think our bench points and our defense of Okur and Boozer pretty well exposed why we didn't win the Utah series. We played from behind most of the series and we squeeked out home wins that could have gone either way.

We just didn't over come our bench play and we couldn't handle Williams or Boozer. We let Okur burn us in the end of game 7.

15. battousai

battousai Member

i am more concern with Yao's right shoulder. If a surgery performed will cost him 10 to 15% strength, that means his injury is pretty serious.

I don't want Yao to be injured again, at the same time for him to lose his strength.

however, can Yao still do sky hook or shoot with his right shoulder after the surgery?

Yao need to pop more 3s and venture out of the painted area a bit. With the new rules and stuff, Yao should play more like Duncan than shaq.

16. DanTanna

DanTanna Member

pryuen,

Thanks for the translation. I also read the Chinese article and didn't catch the nuances because I don't read any Chinese at all.

Remember when Yao came in to the league there were haters saying he was Ric Smitts II? Yao WAS soft. He excited us with his passes, but his softness, stone hands, short arms, no leaping ability and lack of strength and speed meant he always ended up on the floor. JVG certainly has toughened up Yao. He might have to RUN more under Adleman, but he won't get beat-up so much and he might get more opens shots from the free-throw line area.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

i dont quite get the lovefest for yao playing a high post. I agree, its in his arsenal and it can be utilized but the point is if you have a great low block player you let him play there.

People want to talk about yao racking up more assists by dishing to cutters but there is one very important aspect they are forgetting....this team doesnt have many good cutters.

yes...it is easier to get out of the first when you have a front line of miller/vlade/webber rather than yao/chuck/howard.

18. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Member

Its true the Rox had problems on D and I couldn't understand why JVG continued with Yao on Boozer. Switch him to Okur or if you don't want Yao following Okur to the 3 pt line play zone. That aside though when both teams are scoring into the 90's you're in a shoot out and need to outscore the opponent. I think the Rox could've gotten a few more points out of Yao that would've made the difference. Anyway if the Rox make an adjustment that might change things for the rest of the team. After game 3 I think it was clear that the Rox outside shooting was struggling and an adjustment should've been made to not rely on the outside shot so much.

19. Astockmarketgod

I truely hope is was the knee, shoulder and toe (ankle??)injury tha made Yao play average in the playoffs...

because he was by far our second biggest dissapointment

20. WNBA

WNBA Member

This team has 0 JVG players when JVG was here first year. How about that?

Thank God NBA does not have regulations like : Fix your roster for 5 years, Fix your team's tempo either slow or fast, Fix your center's positioning either low post or high post. The fact is basketball is round, players are human beings.

JVG could be a great coach if he adds "creativity" to his dictionary.