1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Dec 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. FR0497

FR0497 Member

Was a pleasure watching you play.

Oh and please stop with the "put his jersey in the rafters". He didn't do anything ON the court to deserve that.

2. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

great guy comes with huge disappointment.

although it still too early to say over, maybe it's time while we suffered enough.

btw, expect this bbs get a lot empty after yao's retirement.

3. Mornin'Call

Mornin'Call Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. kevtse

kevtse Member

We will never ever see a 7"6 with such great skills on the basketball court again :(

1 person likes this.
  5. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Potential that never came to full bloom.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Thanks for everything Yao. You worked your tail off for the good of the team every year you were here -- not once did I ever think you were slacking off. You were the one who carried us into the 2nd round for the first time in a decade.

I'll always consider you amongst one of the Rockets greats. Go take care of little Yao, Big Fella.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

That's a good thing (maybe not for Clutch). This is a forum for Rockets fans not YOF.

8. SlimJim25

SlimJim25 Member

Time to hang my Yao jersey on the wall....his body just can't hold up to the game anymore.......goodbye Yao!!! :(

1 person likes this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sad news, but I think it's way too early for this eulogized appreciation thread. While it certainly could be very bad, there's a chance that this isn't a big of a deal. It's not a stress fracture in his foot - it's in his ankle. He might not need surgery.

I like yao a lot - above the knee, he's amazing. I just wish his bones were not so brittle. Doesn't seem people as big as Yao can do atheltics without destroying their bodies. It's just too much weight and stress on the bones.

10. Zfan

Zfan Member

Thank you, Yao. Get well soon. Already one of the best center in nba history even the career ends now. Great person. Great player.

1 person likes this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Guess I'll repost this here.

I've lost count of the number of posts I've made praising Yao. There isn't a harder worker, loyal teammate, patriotic citizen, and simply fine human being in the league. I feel kind of numb after hearing this. When I first saw the news here in the GARM, I thought there had been a time warp and it was really Clutch's April Fools joke. How I wish it was.

We just can't keep dealing with the big fella and the never ending injury situation. If Les can figure out some way to keep him connected to the organization, I'd be thrilled, but it's time to move on as a team. The Grand Experiment is at an end. The door has opened on a new era for the Rockets. Now, if we can only figure out what that is. :(

12. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

My favorite player...
    This hurts so much. I've never known the guy personally, but from what I've read, he is such a nice person. Humble and always hungry, he gave it his all every single game and put it all on his shoulders. Unfortunately, that weight may have cost him his career.

I'm sorry it had to end this way. He will always be a Rocket. Even though it may seem odd, I feel like he should have his jersey in the rafters. For continuing the legacy of great centers and ultimately connecting two very different countries with one sport.

Goodbye Yao :(

1 person likes this.
  13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Well, at least the news finally came out.

The guy's salary is killing this team if he can't spend time on the court.

RIP Yao's career. It was fun while it lasted....well....fun till about 1.5 years ago.

It's been frustrating....watching a great player who's body continues to fail on him. Both him and TMAC. Glad it's over.

14. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Member

Rockets irrelevant? Multiple 50+ win seasons over the last few years is irrelevant? Most of the league wishes it had what Houston's had.

I don't get the negativity from some of the people here. This is a Yao appreciation thread. Can't you just appreciate Yao and the Rockets, instead of focusing on the lack of championships (which only 1 team out of 30 wins each year) or comparing him to freaking Wilt?

1 person likes this.
  15. soulsong999

soulsong999 Member

I have never read anything more offensive than this. In an appreciation thread, no less.

16. soulsong999

soulsong999 Member

Yao - thank you for everything. I know that with your heart you will attempt to come back again. No matter what you do, I hope you will get enjoyment and pleasure out of it.

Oh, and please produce a boy, a Ming junior... Perhaps he can be a Rockets in 18 years?

Thank you for all the memories. For some reasons I remember the best a game vs Warriors (or was it Denvers) a few years back that lasting 2OTs that we lost. You fought so hard.

SS999

1 person likes this.
  17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Thanx for signing this shoe I bought at one of these fancy auctions 3 years ago.....Hope you retire because you dont need the pressure to perform for unappreciative fans in this forum...Dont blame yourself , blame the media and training staff for the last 3 years of mediocrity

18. Happii

Happii Member

Yao Ming is a very good player that didn't really reach his highest potential. I would really hate it to see him get traded though, imagine that Yao Ming in another jersey other than the Rocket's. It would be great if he were to retire as a Rocket.

19. bread and budin

[Appreciation Letter]

You can look at this thread alone to see what Yao meant to the Rockets. So many emotionally charged posts for good and for bad. Yao has been the leader, face, and hope of this team for a decade. I think we can all agree that he was spectacular at times and had, if not labored by injury, a hall of fame career. I still think he should be a HOF player if only for his impact on the inauguration of basketball to the international stage.

What we have to keep in mind is that not only has the Rockets organization put its patience, pride, and championship hopes into Yao's career, Yao has put his whole professional basketball career into the Rockets organization. From his willingness to choose some NBA team in Texas over his role as the Chinese international superstar, to having his first child in USA with the burning glares of all the Chinese officials on the back of his head, to his willingness to comply with any surgery/rehab that the Rockets were (are) willing to put on his already battered body risking his future mobility. Yao has always responded only with a willingness to give everything he has to the Rockets.

We have to respect this attitude by the big fella and its only right to honor his future as an ambassador of basketball and a father with gratitude to what he gave for the potential success of some team in Texas.

Wether many of us will admit it or not, we all love you Yao Ming for what you have sacrificed for this time, and we will stand by you in whatever path you choose to take as a man.

Thank you sincerely for the memories.
    Trevor

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If this is it, and as much as I would hope not my head says Yao is done, my favorite memory of Yao will always be at the press conference with Artest after the Rockets beat the Trailblazers and Yao finally got out of the first round. Just the look of relief and joy on his face was priceless.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S-9xVUmmg1s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S-9xVUmmg1s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>