1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Yao = Joe Barry Carroll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Juugie, Dec 4, 2003.

1. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

This is not to disagree with what you said, but there are more than just those three in 20/10 class,

Kevin Garnett
    Tim Duncan
    Shaquille O'Neal

Zach Randolph
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Shareef Abdur-Rahim
    Chris Webber (if health)
    Karl Malone (with any other team)

Following players are all capable of 20/10 with the right team,
    Brad Miller
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Antoine Walker
    Rasheed Wallace
    Pau Gasol

--daoshi

2. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

NBA is a copy-cat league. When LA won with their ShowTime style, everyone tried to copy it; then the Badboys of Pistons started the physical play, the NBA turned into a westlering
    league since then.

--daoshi

3. Juugie

Juugie Member

I am definitely not for trading Yao just to trade him. I'd trade any Rocket if the right deal came along.

I also agree that Yao was worth the pick.

I just don't think we can build this team around him being a dominant inside presence.

I think we need to get a lot more penetration into the offense and stay balanced. That's my whole point. If you read my original post, I said Yao would be a very valuable piece to the puzzle but can't be the hub.

4. ttboy

ttboy Member

Juugie, you said you're not "hating" on Yao, yet you said Mark Eaton, etc., would hold him scoreless. If I said Raul Lopez would hold Steve Francis scoreless, would I be hatin' on Steve? Oh, wait, Lopez already did come close to doing exactly that...

Answer the question: if saying Eaton would hold Yao scoreless is not hatin', then what is?

5. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Jungie, you said

(1) you agree that Yao was worth the pick.
    (2) Yao would be a very valuable piece to the puzzle of our team.
    (3) Yao would be a very good player.

But you have also said Tree Collins and Mark Eaton would hold him scoreless.

If a center could be held scoreless by the likes of Tree Collins and Mark Eaton, how could you say he was worth the No.1 pick in a draft? How could you say he would be valuable to the puzzle of our team. How could you say he would be a very good player?

Please enlighten me.

6. jli

jli Member

Did yao read this thread ?

7. Donatello

Donatello Member

Juugie is a bandwagon hopping hypocrite. There's no need to argue with him.

8. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Pistons hope they had Tree Collins and Mark Eaton tonite to hold Yao scoreless.

9. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Too bad they only had Ben Wallace, widely regarded as one of the best defensive player in the NBA.

10. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

juggie this is the first of many games that will shut your god damn mouth up.

and dont come back

11. Juugie

Juugie Member

Yao had a great game, but I still stand by everything I said.

Ben is a great player, but he's only 6'8. Yao should dominate that matchup.

He has to do it over the whole year inculding against people close to his size.

12. Juugie

Juugie Member

You're new so I'll cut you some slack.

I've been saying the same things for the last year and a half. I'm very consistent on that.

13. Juugie

Juugie Member

Yao is a very good player and happens to play at the right time.

Look at the center that have given Yao problems:

Shaq
    Dampier
    Ostertag
    Bradley
    Sabonis

What do they have in common? They are all seven footers and with the exception of Bradley are big.

Yao's moves in the paint are slow and deliberate. He also has a difficult time backing his man down low/establishing deep position.

Playing against someone his own size with longer arms means he can't shoot over the top. He couldn't shoot over the top of Eaton. His turn around is so slow, and he holds the ball so low when he shoots it that Eaton could either block or alter it every time.

Yao would have a hard time scoring against either Eaton or Tree Rollins.

Becuase he has the liberty to play against small centers in today's game he can be a very good player today even if he would be basically an average player fifteen years ago.

14. x_trepidation_x

The hype on Yao is really about the potential fellas. Might as well jump on the bandwagon now...Try looking 2-3 years from now...then try to imagine a Yao that is meaner, stronger, more aggressive, more experienced, etc... Okay... if you still can't see Yao's potential then you really are blind.

'***

What really separates Yao from the likes of Shaq, Duncan, or KG is that these three players have more moxy(balls) then Yao right now. These three players are warriors, they play aggressive, and they play mean at times. So what...

Yao isn't a warrior yet but I'm sure he will be in a few years. This year you see signs here and there of his aggressive play in the paint. It's only a matter of time till Yao reaches his strength potential, his weight potential, his overall skill. Can you imagine him when he reaches this potential? I really think Yao has the chance of being even stronger and much bigger then Shaq simply because he has a much bigger frame then Shaq. And this weight will most likely be muscle unlike Shaq whose weight after 300 and some pounds is mostly fat gain.

'***
    There is no denying that Yao has some problems such as mentality (aggressiveness), technique (positioning in the paint), and conditioning. However, Yao should certainly improve in all of these areas. Now imagine when Yao figures all these out.

15. scutmb

scutmb Contributing Member

Juugi

Do you know Yao's stats this year so far? What you means those centers give Yao trouble? you mean in single game or whole year? How many of those has better stats than Yao has? Are you a real Rocket fan? Sounds you like you come from Dallars.

16. ttboy

ttboy Member

Juugie:

Is Shaq better than Mark Eaton and Tree Rollins?

Did Shaq hold Yao scoreless? Will Shaq hold Yao scoreless in future matchups? Is that what you're predicting? Rather than make that kind of ludicrous prediction involving a retired player, use an active player you chicken****.

Anyone has the right to criticize Yao, but when you say something so stupid, so uninformed, and so unrealistic such as "Mark Eaton would hold Yao scoreless" then you lose the right to be taken seriously.

You are obviously a Yao-hater, just grow a pair and say so, that would deserve more respect than the weak camouflaging you're trying to put on when your anti-Yao agenda is so blatantly clear.

"Mark Eaton would hold Yao scoreless"--you are truly pathetic.

So Shaq, being much faster, much quicker, much more nimble, much more athletic, while also being even heavier in pure mass than Mark Eaton, must obviously also hold Yao scoreless--you all heard it here first, from the oracle that is Juugie.

17. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

You won't get a reposnse TT, just as my and RIET's reply saying the exact same thing didn't get a reply... juugie still doesn't see the contradiction of saying "Mark Eaton and Tree Rollins would hold Yao scoreless" and then, in the same thread also trying to compare JBC to Yao, the former of which averaged 20pts against Eaton and Tree Rollins.

If Juugie's logic was correct (and it's not) then if Yao=JBC then Yao scoring average against Mark Eaton and Rollins = 0, then JBC's scoring average = 0 when playing against Eaton and Tree, right? Wrong.

Stuart

18. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Yeah, and Yao has consistently gotten better over that time, yet you still have to remind everyone of your opinion.

If Yao is pulling down 25/15 you'll still be bashing him because no matter what kind of numbers he puts up, if he's not absolutely dominating everything alive you're going to be disappointed and pull out the "He's 7'6" and too slow" excuse.

Why don't you tell us what kind of stats yao would have to have to please you? Chances are you've never even thought of it, seeing how busy you are trying to convince everyone that he's a first pick JBC. :rolleyes:

19. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

dont forget Francis 4 prez, supaYAOhata

20. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Juugie, I dont really follow our logic here. I've never seen anyone say Yao will be Jordan, don't make up stuff like that. I think your problem is you're tyring to pigeonhole everyone into one little group. This is a narrow minded way of thinking, not everyone loves Yao hates SF, wants Yao's stats regardless of Rox win. There might be a few but I dont see too many of them to be honest, lot of them get labled as such but only because in this backlash climate, anytime someone points out an improvement they see in Yao's game, they get labeled a Yao only fan. I think the majority of us here on the BBS is enjoying watching Yao's improvement and not really worrying about when he will totally screw up the Rox. If your purpose is to get the SF haters to shut up, this isn't the way to do it. Two wrongs don't make a right.