1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Yao = Joe Barry Carroll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Juugie, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Juugie

Juugie Member

:eek:

You can't be serious

You do realize that being 7'5 means nothing when going against someone 7'4 with long arms.

One one one, Mark Eaton would hold Yao scoreless.

He would never get a shot off against Hakeem.

Tree Rollins would hold him scoreless.

As would Artis Gilmore.

Alton Lister would give him fits.

Kareem, Ewing, Parrish, Malone would foul him out.

He would have his hands full against the others.

He can't even dominate Jerome James and Ostertag so how hell is is going to dominate these guys?

2. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

Juugie,

By the end of his career, Yao will impact the game in so many ways JBC never did - and yes, I know who he is and watched him.

Do the comparison 10 years from now, not by going by Yao's stats after a little over one season & extrapolating to 10 years from now.

D R

3. idlel

idlel Member

So who do you think is a great player, your beloved SF3?

4. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

Hakeem would block his shot on one end and beat the other nine players down the floor to dunk it on the other.

No offense to Yao, but there is no comparison between him and Yao in talent or, more importantly, passion.

5. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

uhmm, him and Hakeem...

6. Juugie

Juugie Member

There are a few great players in the league.

Shaq
    Kobe
    Duncan
    Dirk
    TMac
    and a few others.

I understand that your are excited about Yao's upside and think he will become aggressive and dominate the league.

What I'm saying is that the league is full of stories of people with loads of talen that either weren't aggressive enough or didn't work hard enough or something and had people waiting around for ten years for them to start dominating.

It very, very rarely happens. You normally come into the league with the drive and determination to take over or you never get it.

7. Panda

Panda Member

This is stupid Yao-hating.

8. Juugie

Juugie Member

No.

Mark Eaton was 7'4 with long arms. That would negate all of Yao's height. The fact that Yao's moves are slow and he can't jump means that he would have a hell of a time with Eaton. Not ot mention the fact that Eaton was stronger than Yao.

Ditto for Tree Rollins and Artis Gilmore.

Any Dipsy Do Flip shots would be deposited right back to sender.

Take off the Yao colored glasses and realize the truth.

Shawn Bradley gives Yao fits.

These guys are all way better players.

9. Panda

Panda Member

You said Eaton was gonna held Yao scoreless. That's stupidity at its epitome.

Yao's moves are not slow, Yao is able to spin off 6'10" guys. Yao would at least spin off 7-4 Mark Eaton and score 2. ;)

Mark Eaton was a great defensive player due to his height and long arms, Yao being taller than him would negate most of his height, and therefore, defensive advantage.

Mark Eaton is 290l bs, Yao is 310 lbs, Yao is stronger than Eaton.

Yao is more mobile than Eaton and there's way Eaton would be able to defend a run, catch and shoot Yao in the high post.

With all due respect to the great defensive player Mark Eaton, there is no chance in the world that he can hold Yao scoreless. Therefore, to insinuate so is simply stupid.

Why don't you drag them out and make them play against Yao to prove your point, wait a minute, you can't! Hide behind retired players and fire arrows against the new ones is just LAME.

Take out your anti-Yao chips embedded in your brain first. FYI artificial intelligence at its best, in the current stage, is still stupider than the most r****ded human being.

Yao also gave Shawn Bradley fits.

To you, their a$$es surely smell better than Yao's.

10. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Unfortunately I don't have the google like recall of basketball plays like some here but I remember seeing Yao throwing sinkerball pass and a couple McHale like up and unders that JBC could've never done.

11. Sishir Chang

By biting him? ;)

I will agree that Yao as he is now would have a hard time with many of the centers you list. Lets see what Yao is like five years from now and then we can compare.

12. kobo

kobo Member

I love it! Juugie, are you SF's GF? :D

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I finally remember who Steve's game/personality reminds me of.

World B. Free.

Is Steve the next World B. Free?

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I finally remember who Jeff Van Gundy's game/personality reminds me of.

Lee Harvey Oswald.

Is Van Gundy the next Lee Harvey Oswald?

bang bang

:D

15. Sishir Chang

But don't you realize it was the Cubans all along and Oswald was only a fall guy.;)

16. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

threads like this is pointless and do not tell anything. When Yao has a good game , everyone sings his praises and say he is the next great center. then he has a bad game and the same people will say he is a piece of crap who won't amount much. comparing him to guys like this Joe Barry Carrol. Jesus f#$%ing Christ i hate u people. :mad: the guy as been in the league just one season and people are already determining the rest of his career. hey the Magics lost 17 straight T-Mac is a piece of crap. give me a break.

17. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

easy ...there're all old and all but one is retired.:D

18. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

DAMN :eek: :) :D

19. Juugie

Juugie Member

There comes a point where you start to realize a player's libilities and his strengths. There's nothing wrong with pointing them out.

The "Vertical Leap" Fairy isn't going to come along and give Yao a 30 in vertical. Ditto for his quickness or short arms. And the "Bad Attitude" gnome isn't going to all of a sudden plant some meaness or aggression in him either.

Given those facts, I saw similarities with JBC. I looked at the stats and they are also similar.

There's nothing wrong with him being a 20/8 guy.

But if you think he is going to be the next player to dominate the game ala Shaq, Duncan, Jordan, Dream, Bird, Magic, you are SERIOUSLY deluding yourself.

20. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

And if you think you can make that assessment after one season(probly the biggest and most demanding transitions for a rookie ever btw) and a month into the 2nd, then you are SERIOUSLY deluding yourself.