1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao isn't sure if he can return to elite status.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCity3, Jul 22, 2010.

1. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

I highlighted important quotes. Link

The source is pretty legit since Hoopchina has it reported also.

2. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

3. BoomTown

BoomTown Member

Good to see that he has somewhat of a positive attitude.

I thought he would be playing some competitive basketball by now but id rather him not rush things. And i love his last quote...

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think him getting all the way back would be amazing, and unexpected.

But, if it requires hard work, he is the guy that could do it.

DD

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My guess is part of the talk is aimed at getting out of Chinese National team duty (or at least disabusing any fantasy anyone may have that he would play in FIBA World Championship this year).

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

At least he's doesn't have Grover promosing that he will return to elite status.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Ehhh. Yao is more saying, "I don't know if I can return to form until I step on the court and play a game."

That's a bit different than saying, "I don't think I'll make it back to my peak form."

8. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

we dont need 20ppg from him. he just needs to grab rebounds and block 1 shot. we have enough scoring now with addition of martin, we need D,rebounds,blocks. this "throw it down to yao and let him iso for 25ppg" is gone ,or atleast i hope it is because it will ruin his feet.

id be happy with 8pts/ 9rbs /1 bk a game,frankly brad miller might provide more

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

None of that talk should be necessary. All he needs to do is say, "Look, I've missed a lot of games. I can't play competitive basketball in the offseason, because it puts too much stress on my legs and jeopardizes my health during the NBA season. I've been a part of the national team for many years, but its time for me to move on and concentrate on my NBA career. Time is running out."

Evidently, the Rockets aren't allowed to make that case on his behalf. He needs to do it himself.

10. alethios

alethios Member

He's being more realistic and humble, unlike the other superstar we used to have. My hope is that he will return to 75-80% of when he was at his peak.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

But Durv, the regular season puts WAY more stress on his body than a couple of months on the CNT.

Yao's body is breaking down because he plays in the NBA, not because he plays in China.

DD

12. redao

redao Member

Thanks for all the good memories. Get well soon.

13. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Yea but the NBA is where he makes his money not playing for the CNT. And Yao's body breaks down because he plays for both the NBA and the CNT.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

NO!!!! He wants to play for China still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That may be true, and I've argued similar points in the past. I'm just saying that if he genuinely wants to get out of his CNT duties and he thinks its hurting his NBA career -- he'd know better than me -- he should be direct about it.

16. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

You obviously underestimate the pressures of playing in China. He IS China basketball

17. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Note this !!
    How clever and diplomatic at the same time for Yao to make such
    a statement in China! Very carefully he let the CBA know he might never return to be the great Yao again and that he was too old to lead Chinese basketball anymore. In this case Yao was laying the foundation to the fact that he will not play in the off season for Chinese Basketball, with out actually saying it! How Chinese of him!!

He also created doubt in many minds about his recovery & return to top form, with out saying anything, yet stating common sense and fact.

Because of this doubt the article assumed and stated that he was having trouble recovering from his foot injury. We know though that this is not the case anymore and Yao is now in full training mode and well a head of schedule.
    Take no notice of this report as it it is especially for Chinese minds in China. :p

18. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

The coach Yao hired for his Shanghai Sharks is also coaching CNT. So, I guess, from now on Yao can stay away from a lot of MINOR DUTIES. Yes, he has to play those top level FIBA games, but coach will consider his injury history & physical condition and take care of his minutes more seriouly than before.

More rest time for Yao is always a better news for Rockets.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

the way the team is set up, it's best yao is not the most dominant offensive player.

however, it would be a HUGE plus to the team if he can provide the defense and rebounding that we desperately need. i think he can still do that b/c he's such a big guy.

offensively, i think he can put up 13-14ppg on around 24-25 minutes of play at best. but that won't come till later in the season.

hope yao is the best. it's great to see that he's realistic.

20. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

He is just stating the obvious. ;)
    But yeah, it is better to be humble than to say: Sure, I will be back to elite. How can anyone be sure anyway?