1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Yao is just not ready !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jan 7, 2004.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/08/sports/basketball/08YAO.html

2. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

How long did it take you to believe that SF will NEVER be a superstar?

Lebron? The Jesus II who led his team to a 11-23 record so far? He has some impressive statistics, especially on him TO's. But how good is a leader when his team is lossing night in and night out? He hasn't proven much in my opinion.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The above 2 paragraphs are from the NY Times article of today. They are very interesting and the basis of my points below.

His first 20 games he was at 17ppg and 10rpg. I think those are solid numbers for his second season. I think we are all happy with those number, with that progress. In fact before the season began I predicted he would be at 17 and 9 this season.

BUT.... then JVG wanted Yao to CHANGE his style of play. CHANGE the way he approaches the game in terms of being more physical and aggressive. The result in the last 13 games is 14ppg and 7.5rpg and many foul trouble situations.

CLEARLY Yao's recent problems is a DIRECT result of his changing his style of play. Now, in addition to this the opponents are learning about Yao and playing better and that has an effect but moreso I think the problem is Yao.

Remember how effecitve Yao was in the recent Laker game when he didnt have to be aggressive OFFENSIVELY with his jump shots? He can do that now. He can do that through the rest of his career and make a living doing that. But by doing that he wont be GREAT. JVG is trying to make Yao be GREAT and to be GREAT you cant just SETTLE for the high post jump shot, the shot that might NOW be easy for Yao, but try to work on the POST GAME. Mastering the Post game along with a solid high post jumpshot game that he already has will make Yao a force on the floor. That is what JVG is trying to do with Yao.

What we are seeing here are just "growing pains" of Yao "unlearning" the culture that he has played with all of his life.

I really think we need to relax and give him and the system more time.

The title of this thread is "Yao is just not ready" and with that I agree. He is still learning. But I am not ready to throw in the towel on Yao just yet.

4. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

We got to be objective. the game last night was not costed by Yao. It was Steve who brought us the loss. I must admit my mistake a few days ago, I was proclaiming publicly that Steve was getting it.

Based on the report from both Chron and Detroit News, it was Francis who started playing one-on-one late in the first quarter that turned a tie into a huge behind. Yao scored the first two basket and did not get the ball the next eight minutes. During that period, nobody on Rocket scored. Everybody became a spectator, watching Francis one against five.

So, as few touches as Yao got and as few plays as Yao were allowed to take since he had to clear the way for Francis' ISO, w cannot blame Yao for his inadequate aggressiveness and low post game. Not to mention other factors such as experience of bad call from ref., Francis ignoring him, etc.

Well, I don't know what the next step is. Will one day Francis really getting it.

:(

5. Toast

Toast Member

Yeah, he's only in his 2nd year. Shaq wasn't built in a day either. He'll come around eventually.

6. Charvo

Charvo Member

As much as Yao fans don't want to admit it, Yao is not right for Houston. He doesn't fit the "Van Gundy" mode. Steve doesn't fit too, but that was obvious a long time ago. I see Yao as being like a Vlade or Brad Miller. He is a piece of the puzzle for a team wanting to win a championship. He cannot be seen as a Shaq or a Duncan who are in their own league as far as dominance goes. Yao could learn a lot if he played on the Kings. Let Steve be Steve. The current Steve is a garbage Steve. Bibby, Marbury, Baron, Steve Nash, Sam Cassell, Arroyo/Lopez, Jason Kidd, and probably some other point guards are playing better than Steve. Steve used to be up there. He's not now.

7. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

I think Yao is our most efficient player. He can dish out the ball to another shooter or score. I dont care is Yao misses a couple of shots in a row. We should still go back to him. The problem is that Yao's teamates gives up on him after several miss shot attempts.

I DONT know about this IDEA.

8. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

JVG is not right for Houston....

9. Charvo

Charvo Member

I personally have given up on him as being the right coach, but it'll take a record low attendance night at the Toyota Center before he does something about it. Who in heck with an ounce of offensive talent would sign as a free agent with the Rockets when Van Gundy is coaching? They would be dummies. D'Antoni over at the Suns is probably going to milk a better offense out of that group of guys than Van Gundy will with the Rockets.

10. GocartMozart

GocartMozart Contributing Member

Good post, Deuce. Remember early this season how much JVG was touting the book about the difference between good and Great. His goal isn't to make this team or Yao a good team. His goal is to make them a championship team.

For the Rockets to be a Championship Contendor, as opposed to a playoff contender, Yao has to be able to play well in the LOW post in the 4th quarter in the playoffs. For much of the game, Yao and the Rockets can be very effective with Yao playing about 70% high post, 30% low post. I think very few people doubt Yao could be a very good high post center. Comparisons with Smits are fairly accurate in terms of describing the very least that Yao could aspire too -- he could be much better than Smits at the same style of play. I think the comparisons to Walton are a better example of what he's capable of in the high post.

However for him to be a Great center, or for the Rockets to be a Championship team, he has to learn to play the low post effectively. Fourth quarter in a playoff game REQUIRES it against the better teams. He doesn't ever have to be Shaq in the low post. Again Walton or Kareem would be a much better goal or comparison. What he can provide in the high post for the rest of the game can make him a great center AND it can help keep him fresher for the last half of the fourth quarter by not taking as much pounding. But he has MUCH to learn about being a low-post center before that can happen. And I agree with the guys in the thread from earlier this year about forcing him to play low this year as a learning and growth process.

Plus, it's hard enough to learn one offense, let alone two. It takes time. This year they need to work exclusively on an offense with him playing low post. Next year, they need to add a high-post component, while continuing to develop Yao's low post game. Eventually, when they are ready to peek, they will be able to do both and provide real problems for other team's defenses.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Mozart,

Interesting stuff especially about learning 2 offenses.

I wonder if the Rockets can get the Chinese national team to run their offense so Yao can concentrate on learning only one offense?

DD

12. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Good post.

And Yao has had to learn more than 2 offenses. First, there was the prior CNT and the Shangai Sharks. Then the Rockets under RT and the 2003 CNT installed a new offense this summer. And now Van Gundy. That's 3 if you only want to count from when Yao got to Houston.

13. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

High post - very good. Low post - bad.

w/Steve Francis - bad. w/Ray Allen - great.

If Gundy can't figure that one out, he's the second coming of Jerry Tarkanian. Good luck with that, Les.
    ---------------

btw - Cleveland wouldn't trade you LBJ, so suck it, Sour Grapes. Nor Denver Carmelo. You want to trade Yao, you're going to have to do with getting a malcontent back.

Enjoy cheering for Kobe.

14. fitchjs

fitchjs Member

Great post by Deuce and Mozart!

Van Gundy is trying to improve the weaknesses of all the players to turn this team into a Champion.

Yao has alot to learn, is out of his comfort zone, not only physically but mentally as well.

He is trying to learn something that goes against his character.

He also is very tired physically due to both the year round play and doing something new and more physically taxing than he is used to.

Mix this with constant pressure from Van Gundy, it appears this is a very hard time for Yao right now.

But in the end, he will greatly benefit and so will the Rockets. Yao will not give up or lay down, it is not in his character to do that.

It may come slower than we would like to see, but it will come.

It appears that the change needed by Francis, is coming just as slow. He appears to be resisting alot more than Yao, maybe not buying into the idea that change will make him great, or just having a just as hard time making the adjustments he needs.

One thing about Van Gundy that I like is his determination. He will work himself into the ground trying to make his team great. His system also works well at playoff time, if he can cause enough change soon enough to get there.

The changes are coming slow and are hard to watch at times, but I believe given enough time with maybe a little fine tuning of the roster with players that comliment the system, the Rockets will be a very good team, that will be tough in the playoffs. That may not be this year.

15. aries323

aries323 Member

or Michael Redd :D

16. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I wonder if they run 2 on 1 drills in practice vs Yao. Should just have cato and mo taylor double him and tell him to shoot with no one to pass to. That should bring him up to speed.

17. ayears

ayears Member

Sure! You can trade yao RIGHT NOW.
    I heard Dallas may have some move recently. You can offer Yao for whoever players you want wearing mavericks jersey. I'd heard Cuban tittering in bed at 2 AM. :D :D :D

18. ym11

ym11 Member

Van Gundy Plays his system, sometimes he needs to ajust to the team and players.

19. farhan007

farhan007 Member

WOW, you abosulutly wrong. Remeber the lakers game, where yao did not play a strach at all, and the rockets just took charge becasue pf FRANCIS!!! Francis is still the heart of the team!!!!!!!!!!

20. farhan007

farhan007 Member

those are carrear numbers for mr.Smith!! That means that includeds the numbers he had when he was past his prime!!! Rick in his prime i belive averaged 17-18 pts...