1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao interviewed: will lose 15 pounds for new season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bob718, May 20, 2009.

1. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

can't be more stress than 82 games + playoffs and China ball. He can do the stairmaster, bike, incline (walking on treadmill), pool etc which are all low impact--cut back on weight training and diet modification.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

he's mostly going to be running in water and on a bicycle

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm just asking. I'm sure he has gotten the Ok to do this from trainers and stuff but I like the idea and Yao really wants to win and get better so I like this.

Well for Yao getting better is just staying healthy so he's trying to minimize the impact I guess.

4. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Sounds Good. Works better for RA's offense if he's more mobile.

5. tchou

tchou Contributing Member

Bicycling and running in the pool are both very low-impact activities. Yao should be able to lose 15lbs easy without affecting his strength.

6. tchou

tchou Contributing Member

I really do think that Yao needs to change his diet. A lot of Asian diets aren't conducive for athletes. Yao needs a high-protein, high-calcium, low-fat, low-carb, diet. I just don't think he's getting that--especially if he's eating traditional Chinese home cooked meals.

7. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Yao's diet is almost certainly designed by his personal trainer.

8. jwayne

jwayne Member

Here is the thing with YAO... at 7'6", yeah 300 is not heavy at all but it will be best for him. We have to just understand and realize that the guy being so tall, he is not ever going to have leverage on anyone. Leverage and strength are two different things. Ever heard the phrase "low man wins" in football, well in basketball, battling for low post position, this is the same case. YAO is an amazing athlete people. To be able to do what he does at 7'6" is astonishing! I remember in my Biomechanics classes at UofH when we drafted him, my Prof said that unless he was a "freak of nature" he would not make it in the NBA because of his abnormal height. Well... here we are 6-7 years into his career and he isnt just sticking around in this league... YAO is a superstar putting in basically 20/10. Let's face it, he isnt going to have the abilities of LeBron or Kobe, you cant compare a 6'6" or 6'9" athlete with a 7'6" athlete... that is like comparing apples and oranges. We are privileged to be able to enjoy such a gifted athlete and not only that, YAO is tough and has the heart of a champion regardless if he ever wins an NBA Championship ring or not... He gives us his all each and every night. Game 1 in LA when he refused to let Keith Jones hold him out of the game and he came back to lead us to victory... Folks... that propelled this team to game 7. It is called jumping on the back of a leader and though he was not in uniform, his teammates had the tone for the series set for them. Who cares if YAO loses 15 pounds, it wont change his heart and desire to compete and win... If less minutes and 15 pounds off of his frame only mean 15/8 per night... what we may lose in numbers can never compare to the heart this guy shows and the benefits his teammates and the fans get from it.

9. realrockyboy

realrockyboy Rookie

The guy has a team of professional trainers for years, so easy there, they already knew what to do.
    For a 7'6 basketball player I think he has a almost perfect body, strong enough to fight for the lowpost and endure for a man his size.

10. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I'm on board! If Yao can do it so can I!! 185 here I come!!

11. king3a6

king3a6 Member

i just hope more ppl would be able to recognized yao's "freakiness", and i seriously don't think that there are enough ppl really appreciate his game.

12. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

Who cares there are not many big guys in this league anymore, they are all light so Yao loosing a few pounds won't hurt hell it may help him block more shots

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

do you mean as an offseason diet or what? Why would he need a low carb diet? If he goes low fat AND low carbs, he won't have much energy to play basketball, practice or work out.

14. MandM's

MandM's Member

what was/is your field of study and speciality?

15. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Yao: I am fine, but the doctors say I'm not.
    Mcgrady: The doctors say I'm fine, but I don't think I am.

16. king3a6

king3a6 Member

love it!!!

17. ryl

ryl Member

how does being light affect energy? it has nothing to do with energy... basketball is pretty anaerobic for the most part, and you don't use your adipose tissue to get energy to play basketball... maybe if you went into starvation mode it's good to have some fat on you... In fact, it'll probably help his energy on the court that he is lighter, since he'll lug around 15 fewer pounds.

15 pounds will not affect his strength as long as it's not all muscle from 1 location from his body, which is an impossible task to accomplish anyway. The weight loss should make him lighter and put less stress on his joints and feet.

18. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

great article...loved it..love Yao's attitude...he really seems so relaxed after getting past the 1st round...man I wish if it would have been possible for him to play in game 6 and 7 if he was cleared!!..that would have been epic..but not worht risking major injury....that shows his heart and desire...

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Funny how everyone wanted him to gain weight when he first came into the league.

This should have been done a long time ago.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The fat that you can see on your body isn't the same fat that's refered to when talking about anaerobic and aerobic energy expenditure. It's the fat you're eating.

And why do you say it's an impossible task to accomplish? If he has 15 lbs of muscle there to lose, he could lose it, not that I think he should, but it's possible.