1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao interviewed: will lose 15 pounds for new season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bob718, May 20, 2009.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

it's not that difficult, he'd be losing muscle mass, not fat, he didnt say he was gonna run to lose weight, just so he wouldnt put on fat from it being offseason. All he has to do to lose the 15 pounds is stop any resisitance training with his legs, his legs will still be somewhat thick due to his size, but will lose the extra muscle he gained from lifting. 15 lbs wouldnt be too hard considering how large his legs are.

At least i hope that's what he's planning, it wouldn't make sense to do it any other way. If he does cardio or diets to lose it he'd risk losing upper body muscle/fat as well and you dont want him losing anything up there, if anything he should gain 10 lbs of upper body muscle and still lose the 15 pounds of lower body muscle. In the end his weight will only have dropped by 5, but the distribution would be better and therefore his feet wouldn't take the same pounding.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

He can lose weight and get stronger. Its really about core strength from your stomach and through your hips and thighs. As a player gets older, you want to get lighter, but stronger. Yao losing weight will probably make it easier on his lower body, but if he gets stronger in the arms,chest, and thighs, it will give him more stamina and power.

3. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

IMO, he needs to work on his leg, I think they are way too big for his height. The leaner the size of his leg, the lesser the injury.

4. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Thank you Bob! this article is very uplifting! Moat appreciated!Y :p

5. blender

blender Member

Really great job with the translation, bob718. Thanks.

A lighter Yao will also hopefully mean a more mobile Yao, which will allow him to play in Adelman's offense better. I expect Adelman to continue putting more variations on how Yao gets his touches in the offense and how Yao gets set up in the low block.

Hopefully, this will allow him to add a few more years to his career as well. Good news.

6. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

i just got this feeling, yao will be Mvp= next season, avg ppg 25-29 reb 11 block 4

7. MD_in_Training

Our offense runs better with Yao putting up 20-22 pts a game, while shooting 55% from the field.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

not quite, you dont want his legs to be too thin either because then he would lose his balance more easily since he's so tall. That increase his chances of twisting an ankle or falling over someone and snapping his leg. right now they are too thick, 15 lbs is probably the most he'd want to lose in his lower body.

9. petey006

petey006 Rookie

wow nice interview. I had a feeling you translated because yao doesn't know that much english

10. Josephduyho03

Josephduyho03 Member

beside losing 15 lbs, maybe he need to start taking in a lot of calcium to build up his bones. I don't think eating lots of shrimps head provide much calcium.

11. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

lol wat are you smoking? 4 blocks?!

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Hmmm, I was hoping for a 30 lb weight loss. But I'll take 15.

13. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

great interview. Thanks for posting.

Hopefully the big fella remains healthy next season

14. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Actually shrimp head and body do give you calcium:)

15. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

losing 15 lbs will have a 3 fold reduction in pressure on his knees, ankles/feet. Said another way, 15 extra pounds creates 45-50 lbs of extra pressure on the knees/feet/ankles. So Yao would have about 23 fewer pounds of pressure on EACH of his feet/ankles/knees. That is awesome. He still will be a monster down low, and will still have his J shot and FT shooting. This should improve his in-game longevity and effectiveness (especially since next-year MPG will be reduced) and season long durability should increase. Here is to no freaky injuries like someone kicking his foot and or rolling onto his knee/leg. Oh, and no China-ball, and hopefully a good backup 5--I like how next year looks.

the net weight off Yao's feet: :eek:
    [​IMG]

16. akuma

akuma Member

:confused: how did you come up with the physics behind that?

17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

From graduate school. It is a well established fact. I will quote one article with highlights:

http://www.synviscone.com/managing-knee-pain/alternative-treatments/weight-loss.aspx

Being overweight puts a heavy burden on your joints. In fact, for every pound you gain, you put 3 more pounds of pressure on your knees. Over time, this added pressure can contribute to osteoarthritis (OA).

The bottom line
    Extra weight places stress not only on the knees, but also on the lower back, hips, and feet. The strain, in turn, may make it harder to get around and interfere with the ability to do everyday tasks. By losing excess pounds, you may be able to reduce such problems and improve your ability to stay active. Just be sure to talk to your doctor before starting a new diet and/or exercise program.

You'll benefit from losing excess weight in many other ways, too, such as reducing your risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke, cancer, breathing problems, and gallbladder disease. And it doesn't take much to start reaping these rewards. A weight loss of as little as 5% of your initial body weight may improve your overall health. If you weigh 200 pounds, that's a loss of just 10 pounds, which also means 30 pounds less pressure on your knees. It's a big payoff for the time and effort you invest in eating better and exercising more.

1 person likes this.
  18. cyruszhang

cyruszhang Member

wow thanks for the lesson sir

19. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

No problem. I'm no expert, but that always stuck with me from school.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I like the idea but really...if it consists of running and conditioning and him putting more stress on his feet he should probably pass right?