1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao in his prime

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Josephduyho03, Jul 26, 2009.

?

Can Yao lead the 93-94 Rockets to a championship like Hakeem did?

Poll closed Aug 10, 2009.
  1. Yes

89 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. No

416 vote(s)
    82.4%
  1. DaDream

DaDream Member

If proper healthy like the eagle of night , Yao could win championship every year by himself with no team mates

1 person likes this.
  2. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

And more. Dream was the total package. The Rockets were pampered in having a player like him that it was/is difficult to find a replacement. Yao was thought to be it but despite His skills, is still miles away from Dream.

3. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is embarrassing for the board that only 85% have said no. There is probably less than a 0.01% chance (yes I'm making up statistics here) that Yao could have led either Hakeem led championship team to a title.

1 person likes this.
  4. bewy

bewy Member

If played by old rules with illegal defence instead of 3sec violation yao could lead any team into championship.

5. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

when exactly is Yao's prime? His best basketball for me is always when he just return from injury and before the next. Thats like 3-4 months of good basketball and thats it.

Till the day Yao can show he can play good basketball for the WHOLE season, he should not even be allowed in the same sentence that consist of lead and championship.

6. Raven

Raven Member

I honestly can't believe that anyone with even the slightest knowledge of pro basketball would ever under any circumstances compare Yao to Dream. Honestly, the only two things they have in common is that they are both foreign born players that were drafted by the Rockets. I won't speculate as to why over ten percent of the board seems to think otherwise, but just because you identify with a specific player doesn't mean you should sacrifice your objectivity when discussing their game.

7. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

I'd have to add on that scale(that if it was 1-10), those years Hakeem was 12. He was completely unstoppable. I'd don't know if any center ever to play the game that could have stopped him. Those were the years that there were many quality centers in the league.

Yao is a solid 6 or 7 in a era of not many true centers. But in Yao's defense the rule changes have hurt the way big men can play the game. :(

With Yao's health issues, his aggressiveness and him being so prone to lose the ball, drops him down, other wise he could maybe reach a 8 or 9.

For the guys that voted "Yes", you apparently never saw the Championship years or "The Dream".

8. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

funny post. i love yao but no way.

9. McGreat1

McGreat1 Member

man thats like asking could TMAC lead the bulls to a championship if he replaced MJ.,.ofcourse not...dont get me wrong im not bashing TMAC.,.i love the dude.,.just check out my username...haha.,.but HELL NO

10. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yao can't even make the playoffs by himself.. in his prime...

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the poll should be restated as "Who is Dream?"
    :cool:

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I made a poll like this along time ago
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=151691

Let's remember that Dream won the MVP AND the DPOY that year (94)
    whenever someone actually does that, then you can compare him to Dream

14. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

They both the greatest dreams!

15. Rocketsmith

Rocketsmith Member

I remember a few years ago, Dream was showing Yao some post moves. Yao looked like a lost puppy trying to guard him. My answer would be a big No.

16. nolimitation

nolimitation Member

A more accurate question would be if Yao replace Ralph Sampson, could the 86 rockets win a championship? I would say definitely.

17. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

For everyone that said that the big man is killed by the rules today and they had a free walk in the past, they need to watch some old videos. What Pryzbilla did in the playoffs this past year is no where considered aggressive in the old NBA, Yao had both of his arms free at almost all times. You see big men with contact inside, rebounding with one had (because of the other arm is locked), it's a very different game without that was allowed before there was the Zone. The refs were not whistle happy at all, and you'd have to get murdered to get a call.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aaJRYprAWBM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aaJRYprAWBM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pay close attention to the 2:00 mark and see how one battles for position (checkout Bird vs. Barkley) in the past. The amount of moves and counters kinda resembles UFC.

#37 wizkid83, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  18. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Granted, he had Ron Artest, but Yao did pretty well this year.

19. amaru

amaru Member

Naw, he's too injury prone.

20. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Nothing against Yao 'cause he is a good player but Hakeem was unstoppable and the rest of the guys were role players. Yao will do well on a team with other players to take the attention away from him. If you are talking about what type of team Yao could win with I would say a team like the Lakers. He could do Gasol's job without a problem but he would not do as well on a team where he is the center of attention (no pun intended). He can't beat double\triple teams like Dream did.