1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao in Golden State?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dream_team, Aug 11, 2004.

1. dream_team

dream_team Member

I live out here in the Bay Area of California (San Francisco area)... most people here are optimistic that Yao will be a Warrior when Yao's contract expires (which I believe is after next season).

They're basing their optimism on the assumption that Yao wishes to play here due to the large asian population.

Are these assumptions correct? Has anyone heard of Yao expressing his interest to play for Golden State? What is the current situation of a contract extension for Yao?

2. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

not gonna happen ;)

3. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I thought his contract was a standard rookie contract. 4yrs with a team option on the last yr...no way they let him walk. He'll get max money from the rockets who can pay him more than anyone else.

4. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

well signing D Fish to outrageous money will not help their salary cap situation if they want to make room

but why would Yao care about the Asian population - he stays in Houston during the season, but he lives in China (I heard some reports that they have the biggest Asian population in the world over there!)

5. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Not this topic again!

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hmm... budding dynasty with the Rockets, and becoming the darling of every single fan (regardless of race) across the country... or playing for a horrible team in Golden St., and having only the entire Asian population there as your lone supporter, as you slowly wallow in one of the pits of the NBA.

Trust me... if Yao ends up leaving, it will be because he feels our team is not good enough to compete... not to be just around more asian people.

Besides... he lives in china... he gets the support of the billions there no matter what, every year.

7. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

No, Yao's next destination won't be GS, won't be LA, won't be NY, it will be to the Szechuan Dunking Pandas for their MLE!

8. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

What are you talking about? He's going to New York because the Chinese govt doesnt want him playing for the Rockets. In fact, we shouldn't even draft him #1, we should get Jay Williams.

Oh wait....sorry...flashback to similiar thread two years ago.

9. dream_team

dream_team Member

sorry shawn786 if this is a frequent topic. as you can see by my # of posts, i don't read the boards that much.

i'm just getting tired of people out here keep saying how yao is going to be a warrior soon, but i have no facts to back up why he won't be here.

i mainly want to know yao's current contract situation... how much longer does he have? has there been any talks of a contract extension?

10. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

again?:confused:

Will be locked in a second:D

11. yaomania

yaomania Contributing Member

Let me let everyone in on something - even with Houston's relatively medium sized Chinese population, he gets way too much attention from overzealous fans. Remember the quotes from his Nat'l Geographic special with Lisa Ling when she asked if he liked seeing all the Chinese people in the crowd? (No too much pressure) Or the recent articles about how people treat him in China (watching through restaurant windows while he eats).

I happen to think that Houston's Chinese population is *just* the right size - enough so that there are Chinese groceries for Yao's parents to shop at, but not enough to send busloads of fans driving to Taste of Texas everytime the man wants to have a steak.

Additionally - Yao doesn't really want to be just around Chinese people - he wants to be around his friends. And his friends are in China - they're not just random Chinese people. He spends all his time at home playing Counter Strike anyways - it's not like he's out and about and wondering where all the CHinese are.

Added to the fact that his parents have friends here in the Houston area (one of Mr. Yao's former teammates from the Shanghai team back in the day moved to Houston a long time ago) - and there's no reason for him to pick up and leave for personal reasons.

Basketball or other reasons? there may be, but if he leaves it won't be because of the Chinese population in the Bay Area (or New York or LA) is bigger.

12. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

does he even have enough free time in Houston to worry about the Asian population?

Seriously he gets here once training camp has started... leaves after the end of season..... half the time he is here is spent on the road....

13. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

What if his family gets threatened by the Triad? Huh?
    They may even hold his girlfriend hostage!

Man, I can't wait to see Yao's first action movie: Big as Dragon

14. g1184

g1184 Member

Besides, Rockets' primary color is Red.

15. roswell raygun

Are we going to lose Nachbar, too? Is there an NBA city with a large Slovenian population? :rolleyes:

16. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I dont see how an asian population would make any difference to Yao. He cant just walk around like a normal person he sticks out like a sore thumb. He was getting mobbed wherever he went too..

I dont know how its like in Houston for him but traveling around he causes a ruckus everywhere he goes. (not his fault)

but to answer the original posters questions. Yao is on a 4 year rookie contract and I believe the team holds the option on the 5th year. Afterwards he would be a restricted free agent and the Rox could just match whatever Yao gets. After that he would be an unrestricted FA and play for whomever he wishes (4-5 years later)

I dont think Yao will want to go to the Warriors anyways.. the team seems like they only want him because he is asian (Chinese) and not because (maybe part of) him being a star BB player.

Yao has all the fan support he needs from people of every race and the loyalty of his die hard fans all over the world. If thats not enough to keep Yao in Houston it will be because the Rox can offer him the most money and will have assembled the best team!

Go Tao (TMac and Yao) ! Go Rox !

J

17. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

yeah he said he liked Houston because there's not as many annoying asians asking for pictures and photographs and talking to him liek he was their savior. Believe me, I'm asian and i know those asians are annoying.

18. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

He is under contract for 04-05 and the Rox have a team option for 05-06.

There will be an extension in place by next summer, I would bet. SF3 got one during his third season and Yao will similarly get a max deal.

The chances of Yao ending up in SF are somewhere between little and none. He is too ingrained with the value of loyalty and, barring a MAJOR gaffe by the Rox organization, he will be here through at least 2012.

19. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I heard that we might lose Reece Gains to Atlanta - since he wants to live around basketball players that can't shoot

20. g1184

g1184 Member

Golden State Warriors are in Oakland.