1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao: If healthy, 2 more years. If not, retirement this summer.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by houstonhoya, Jun 13, 2011.

1. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Member

http://www.niubball.com/2011/06/yao-ming-if-my-ankle-cant-recover-this-summer-ill-retire/

2. kevC

kevC Member

That's very sweet. I hope he can make it true. Would be even better if it was a son :grin: Yao needs to make 5 more male babies for the Rockets to make up for his games missed.

1 person likes this.
  3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

yao should just retire, and make sure he can walk in the future so he can have fun with his life and family. there's a very low chance he'll be healthy for an entire NBA season + playoffs.

i think the organization has slowly moved on from the yao era anyways.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

The good news about all these artciles is that it seems to be increasingly pointing to not requiring a large amount of money to resign Yao. As in a lower leve exemption type. Or less. And whereas before you might have seen someone like Golden State come in an offer him a lot of money, with their new direction, seems unlikely. Conversely, if it's going to only be a 2 year deal, maybe someone does offer mid-level type money for 2 years, knowing it's only two years. Who knows. From Rockets perspective, they are best off moving on, but I don't think they will, and that being the case they need to just sign him up for those 2 years as quickly and cheaply as possible.

5. durvasa

durvasa Member

The Rockets aren't catapulting to contender status in these 2 years, so what's the point?

He should retire. No one will ever say he didn't give it his best. Leave the game while he can still walk on two feet.

6. Pringles

Pringles Member

Damn. Still can't believe he went out during the Lakers series. :(

7. choujie

choujie Member

Or go to a contender to get a ring.

8. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

waste of everybody's time and money

1 person likes this.
  9. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

I agree completely. Rockets should cut ties with Yao now. Having Yao back now is just a complete waste for the next two seasons even if he is healthy. Let him go to Miami or somewhere he has a chance at a ring. He has NO chance with the Rockets....absolutely ZERO. I would go with less than zero if it were possible to have a negative chance.

Rockets are wasting their time with Yao. I had no idea he only plans to play for two more seasons if healthy. It makes none of having Yao worth it imo. His Rockets playing days should be over. I don't even see him getting back his old form in two seasons even if healthy.

Imo, the only real outcome of bringing Yao back to the Rockets now is a longer delay before the Rockets finally build a solid playoff contender for the future.

10. thadeus

thadeus Member

There have been situations where other athletes came back after years of injuries to play, at least, decently. As a matter of fact, there are quite a few players who were plagued by injuries but came back to be serviceable players in the league.

I want Yao back, and I want him to retire as a Houston Rocket. At the least, he can be a serviceable backup center who can clog the lane.

I think he'll be back, and I think that's a great thing for the Houston Rockets.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Why not? They certainly could catapult to contender, you just never give up Durv....never.

DD

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Agreed.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

C'mon thadeus, you can't use those same "other athletes" for comparison with a 7'6" 300+ player who's had multiple surgeries and rehabilitation on the same body part.

14. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

please lord, talk sense it to rockets fans.. they care so much about having some chinese guy bring in money, yet they never see that money in anyway or forum.

1 person likes this.
  15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Not with this Yao, even a healthy Yao at this point would not catapult us anywhere.

He's been away from serious basketball for three years now. It's safe to say his game has digressed tremendously even without those injuries.

16. RV6

RV6 Member

He's not even ready to do much now...we're not looking at this summer, but more like the beginning of the season to find out if he's ready....by the time he gets back in shape and is comfortable with players we'll be halfway into the season.

It's time to let him go. We're looking at a year and half with him and all that's going to do is keep this team guessing as to what moves to make for that length of time.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Ok, so what does it hurt to sign him and play him some? If we aren't going anywhere in your eyes, use him as a 7'6" guy clogging the paint for 20 minutes a game.

No harm, no foul.

DD

1 person likes this.
  18. Yoda

Yoda Member

at what cost?

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Maybe the point is he likes playing basketball?

As far as "walk on two feet" goes, while he is certainly an injury risk, is there anything medically that says that another injury would render him unable to walk?

20. MadMax

MadMax Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.