1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Yao has surgery, out "several weeks"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by booshan, Dec 19, 2005.

1. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

:mad: :mad: :mad:

2. langal

langal Contributing Member

Give the guy a break. Sounds like he's been playing in pain the whole year - and a solid 34 minutes a game at that.

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The lack of Animal House awareness on this board is simply disturbing. Shame on you people!

4. tonygan

tonygan Member

oh no...... :eek:

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

With a person of Yao's size I would be shocked if he made it back in 6 weeks after surgery on a bone infection. :(

6. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

There's really no bright side to this, although I appreciate people trying to find one.

Yao can at least use the next 6-7 weeks to lift weights and really buff up his upper body since he can't use his feet.

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

We're getting old when there are more than a few people who don't get that quote.

8. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Ya...and the board's getting too young. Certainly it's still a rite-of-passage for college males? :confused:

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I wonder if the infection came from the same snake that bit our season.

Evan

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Ah, dammit.

I do think we will continue with a better than .500 record without him, but if the season is tanked, it's fair to blame it on injuries. Ugh. :(

11. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Antibiotics for six weeks != out for six weeks.

I prophesize Yao out for three.

12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

yeah, my girlfriend is an MD and said that it takes about 6 weeks to treat. Not sure how long that will keep him out, though

13. ACL1

ACL1 Member

the goldstandard to treat Osteomyelitis is removing the infected bone (amputation if it is a larg section) followed by six weeks of IV antibiotics.
    Yao most likely had an ingrown toenail that was infected for a long period of time and was left untreated, until the infection moved into the toe bone,

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

There's a STICKY thread already for this. Welcome to yesterday. ;)

15. ACL1

ACL1 Member

the goldstandard to treat Osteomyelitis is removing the infected bone (amputation if it is a larg section) followed by six weeks of IV antibiotics.
    Yao most likely had an ingrown toenail that was infected for a long period of time and was left untreated, until the infection moved into the toe bone,

16. cenbo416

cenbo416 Contributing Member

One (Yao) after another (T-Mac). We are having a disastrous season.

17. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

If this is the case, that sounds like a sad case of neglect. Is the only treatment to keep it clean and not put it in a sweaty shoe? Otherwise, they should have known it would get infected if they didn't take extra precautions right? I would think Keith Jones would have kept an eye on it every moment he could. He seems like a great trainer.

18. user

user Member

As long as Yao plays with the injury, his toe will be sweaty and wearing. I will guess his toes will be stepped on 5+ times per game or exercise.

And you feet do sweat if you play bball with your shoes on.

19. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Per the medical resident -Razorback:

" Osteomyelitis typically requires 6 wks of antibiotics. Depends on what bacteria grows from the surgical specimen. This is just my experience as a resident. Looks like the All-Star break is more likely for his return. This is unbelievable considering the high hopes that we had."

In your opinion, with Yao's height, does circulation in a large body cause healing to be slower than a 6' tall man? My Dad was diabetic and had slow healing after foot surgery in 1991. His doctor was very concerned about infection in the diabetic patient. To promote healing of the tissue they used a "hyperbaric" chamber -oxygen rich environment to assist the healing process. Is this something still used? It may be outdated now.

I am not really comparing Yao's situation to a diabetic, only the healing rate and risk of infection.

Also I remember a company - AMGEN that produced a medical product "growth factors" geared toward diabetic healing of foot injuries and deep bruises. Have you heard of these kinds of products?

I realize the Rockets have all the resources at their disposal to help Yao heal. I was interested in your medical insight.

I guess this all takes time and good circulation with antibiotics to give Yao a chance to heal.

Good luck Yao- whatever happens with this season is not as important as you getting well completely. We are all behind you.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

WOW, from "several games" to "several weeks" to "SIX WEEKS!?!?"
    That's asking alot for this team to keep it together for that long while Yao is out. :(