1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao has fooled everyone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by danjojo, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragon167

dragon167 Member

LOL. One more to be fooled. :D :D :D :D :D

Mike Dunleavy rates Yao Ming among the best post players in the world, not just the NBA.

"He's definitely one of the best. He's in the top five in the world, no matter what league," the Los Angeles Clippers coach said after Yao recorded his 12th double-double of the season with 21 points and 10 rebounds to lead the Houston Rockets to a 99-85 victory Friday night.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=231219010

2. rm365

rm365 Member

Whaddya know... he was being guarded by a 7-footer tonight too (Chris Kaman).

3. PumperX

PumperX Member

Man, Yao has fooled me again by posting another 20/10 game. I am so pissed that I got fooled again. I am an BIG idiot. Please keep fooling me Yao. ;)

4. RocketForever

RocketForever Member

So Yao has fooled one more person tonight. He's gonna stop until everyone in the world is fooled by him. Bad Yao.

5. silvercatt

silvercatt Member

Yao certainly fooled me again. Is there anyway we could stop this criminal? Enough is enough!

6. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

Haha. Haha.

7. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Member

It's the friggin Clippers.

Dan Gadzuric hit them up for 16 points & 7 boards on 6-10 shooting in 25 minutes on Wednesday.

Jamaal Magloire got 17 and 10 on 5-8 shooting in 31 minutes on Monday.

So, I hope you aren't trying to say Kaman is a legit challenge to Yao? Kaman is a 7 footer with potential, but now he is very inexperienced defender averaging less than 1 block per game and barely 1/4(one-quarter) steal per game.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that Yao bounced back with a strong effort last night, but get realistic. Yao has struggled lately and is still making basic big man mistakes. I'm not ready to say he's fooled everyone, but he still has alot of NBA-game growing to do.

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Member

By the way, this is the perfect thread to see that the rating system is flawed by the influx of Yao-fan.

9. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

The Clipper has played well recently, winning four in a row before falling to Rocket.

Mind you Yao did well last night because of our good ball movement. You cannot give credit all to one player. Everyone deserves part of it; and the glory mostly reflected on Yao because that was the end result most of the time.

As to the previous three games against SA and Min, it was just the opposite. The team didn't move the ball well. You could not blame Yao for all the problems. Everybody else deserved the criticism. Francis and Yao, being the leaders on the team, certainly drew a great portion of it.

After all, considering all cylinders, Yao has done very well for a second year centre and shown signs of significant improvement from last year. Many of our posters have too high an expectation not only on Yao but on Rocket as well. You can't progress over night in particular in a tough Western Conference when everybody else has improved their roster while the Rocket is going the opposite direction after losing EG and JP.

If you think Rocket is the most talent teams, simply look at Grizzlies who is fighting the last few playoff spot against the Rocket now. How many high first round draft picks they have; and how many we do? Not to mention teams like Clippers and Denver, which are pretty much in the same situation. On top of all these, you have the four or five powerhouse which have almost all the current established household name future-hall-of-fame players.

I will be happy if we gain just a spot for playoff; and that's a great success for Yao's contribution.

:)

10. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

The rating system is flawed by people like you. The poster blamed all Rocket problems on Yao, which is biased to the extent that deserves two or less.

He could excuse Francis for playing with people like Cato but how about Yao. HE IS THE BIG MAN PLAYING TOGETHER WITH CATO.

If the logic hold true, then Francis must be fooling everybody even worse than Yao.

As you could tell from my previous post, I am not for Yao or against Francis. It is just the fact that we won and lost as a team. Both Francis and Yao deserve the fair share of credit or criticism. But we cannt bash one player for all the problems.

I am happy with Rocket, Yao and Francis right now. Of course, I want and expect them to improve further. Yet, we have to be patient. They are not fooling us. It's us fooling ourselves with the false expectation.

11. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Member

I thought all Roc fans are Yao fans. Did you mean to say Yao-fan (only). Dont try to fool everyone here. :confused:

12. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Member

Flawed by me? I don't think so. I rate based on content and discussion value regardless of who is blamed for "all Rocket problems" and not whether I agree or disagree with the thread starter.

How is his opinion biased? Explain.

Open your eyes. I didn't agree with the thread starter saying "Yao has fooled everyone," but you are also exagerrating by saying he blames all Rocket problems on Yao(see your next statement). Beyond that exagerration, he simply criticized Yao's play of late and had some legit statements.

13. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

OK. Judging from this reply, I misunderstood where you were coming from. I apologize for that. I actually agree with your viewpoint here.

14. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

But I do not agree with the thread starter in his assessment. In other words, I share the opinion of the general public in rating this thread. Let's analyse what the thread starter said here:

"He's fooled everyone into believing he could play NBA level game. "

Yao has already proven he could play NBA level game. This is a well accepted opinion by coaches and players Yao is one of the top centres in the world. Note: we are fooling ourselves if we expect him to dominate the centre position in the second year.

"All of that because he's had a half dozen good games in a little less then a year and a half."

He has 16 top 20 statistic attached to his name in NBA stat. It is a joke to say that someone could accomplish that with a half dozen good games in a lettle less than a year and a half.

"He was a novelty when he came to the league.

So many people underestimated him, that when he finally scored double figures last year, then got his 20, and made a fool of Barkley and his predictions, nobody dared say anything against him anymore."

It was true he did that, not because of novelty but because of his skills and size. If this logic holds true, every rookie is a novalty. Why didn't Brown and companies could not do that.

"This year, as the season progresses, he is showing all of his limits again."

Every players have their limit. You can say Shaq could not shoot FT, ba ba ba. And how could you justify a player with 16 top 20 statistics showing all his limits again. Note: Again we are fooling ourselves to believe Yao could dominate the league in his second year and with no weakness.

"Last year it was called the Rookie wall. I don't know what to call
    it now, but it's definitely a wall, and it's coming a lot sooner."

A rookie wall existed for all rookies. He is not hitting a wall now. When we lost in the two SA and the Min games, the whole team played poorly. The opposite could be said about last night's game. So, you could not blame Yao for all Rocket problems.

"However, because everyone wanted him to be a god and almost made him into one, the Rockets are playing their worst ball ever right now."

In part, this is a true statement that many people want him to dominate right NOW; but the fact is Rocket is currently 15-10, with three more road games. Rocket is sitting at the sixth spot, only one and half game behind SA. I would take that any time for this season. How could one say Rocket is playing worst ball ever and just because of Yao.

"I cannot recall, ever, a Rocket team struggling so badly to score 70 points, not once, not twice, but in 3 straight games."

Many factors contribute to this. Partly because of the opponent, partly because the whole league scores less with the zone, partly because of the JVG style of defense first, partly because two of them were on the road, and mainly it is false expectation that ROCKET is up there with SA and Min. You can't blame Yao for all these.

"People here keep wanting to blame Steve (and even Cat) for the Rocket's woes. People want Yao to lead this team and are asking for the game to go through him every time down the court. The result is what we've been seeing."

I hate people blaming Steve and Cat. Equally, I don't think we should blame Yao either.

"Yao is not close to being a leader on this team. He is the 1st player being benched, night in and night out. He got a total of 2 rebounds last night in almost 30 minutes of play. Should i name the Rocket players who outrebounded him last night ?"

He was talking about one game only. Also, he was so biased that he extracted only one facet of the game, the 2 rebounds. Why did not he mention Yao shot 4-7, close to 60% FG while the team was shooting below 40%. Also, Cato had 4 rebounds in that game. This shot were mostly perimeter shot as you could tell from the shots taken by the guards much more than the forwards / centres. As a result, the missed shot mostly went outside. How could a centre getting most rebounds from outside?

"Clutch's recap summary states that Alton Ford outscored Mobley. As if that was the problem. Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, Jim Jackson, Kelvin Cato, Eric Piatkowski, Maurice Taylor, Scott Padgett. They all outrebounded Yao Ming !!!"

How? As said, Yao scored close to 60%, the highest of all the starters.

"He looked so tired of banging inside last night, that in the 2nd half he kept standing on the 3 point line. Actually, i wouldn't even call what he does banging, because he's getting pushed out of position every single time, regardless of who is guarding him.
    The saddest thing i saw against the wolves: Yao Ming trying to back into Kevin Garnett. Garnett gives him 100 lbs, yet pushed him out 5 feet."

There is no doubt Yao is not very strong physically. But this statement was way exaggerated. Also, Yao does not need to be pysically strong to score. Look at the Clipper game, it was the ball movement that is important for our players to take the open shot and score. We are not Laker, we can't play a physically dominate inside game, at least not yet. We don't have a centre like Shaq, We don't have good inside passers like Laker. This is totally false expectation. JVG's inside-out game is not Laker style, we have to understand that.

"Francis may not be the best PG in the league, but look at who he's playing with. Cato is inept offensively, and Yao has become as ineffective as him."

I don't think it was Francis's problem alone in those three games. But it is equally inappropriate that was solely Yao's problem. In fact, Yao has better than Francis in general this year. All I hope for this year is, they play TOGETHER well. It is a false expectation that just one of them will dominate the league.

"It's 3 on 5 when we're on offense ! How are you going to score more then 75 points that way?"

Please support that with facts and stat. Every team has weak position. It is certain that our team's weakest position is not at Centre. Nor is it at PG. There is no way you could justify Yao was a non-effect when he has 16 top 20 statistics. In comparison, Francis has 6 top 20 statistics, which is not bad.

"At this point, i would have to say that people who compared Yao to Rick Smits when he came into the league were right on the money..."

It is still too early to judge how Yao will end up with. He may be even better than Rick Smits. At worst, he is already one of top five centres in the world or NBA, as Mike Dunleavy said last night.

"Yao still has everything to prove..."

That is absolutely true if you expect him to be the dominant centre in the second year. Again false expectation.

So now, would you rate this thread higher than two?

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Member

Yes I would disagree with the 1.71 average with 28 votes. That means alot of people voted 1. I gave it a generous 3 stars as I thought it was an average thread(at best) that fueled a semi-decent discussion(something the board needs) about Yao's game.

The original post has already been analyzed over and over. He even recanted a few of the statements he made, so there is no need to carry it on.

16. dfoolz

dfoolz Member

You just dont know what you are talking about.:eek:

17. Miggidy Markell

What the hell are you talkin bout? Yao was hyped up a million times more then Steve was. Steve has had 4 great productive seasons and now he's having an off year being forced to fit in to JVG's offensive scheme.

Don't bring this sh*t back on Steve....

18. jscmedia

jscmedia Member

R U fooled ore r u fool? it's a Ying MIng Yang, I tell ya !

19. jscmedia

jscmedia Member

btw, what the heck does little ole Dunvale Street, know, he's just a coach or sum tin'. Kill Bill Ying Yang.

20. idlel

idlel Member

Four great productive LOTTORY seasons? What the M-E-O-W are u talking about?!!! :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.