1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao for Bosh

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jj3469, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Great point! Most black people who live in Houston also live in Texas. So being Texas makes Bosh even more popular among black Houston fans.

Also, there is this American football team in Houston called the "Texans." Bosh is a Texan, which mean we can rent him out to the Texans to serve as their mascot during football season both to get some money and to increase Bosh's popularity. You remember the Bulldog being shown on TV a lot for Butler? Bosh the Texan will be as popular as the Bulldog for sure.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wow! What a dumb thing to say.

3. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

This takes the cake........ I've officially heard it all.

The math is simple 1.6 billion people in China for what.... 2 nba players (Yao and Yi). Now, lets look at the U.S..... There are 309 million people in the United States of which 12.4% are black that makes 37.6 million black people in the United States.

Lets say for the sake of argument that 1% of the people in China are fans of either Yao or Yi (split evenly, which is a huge assumption already). That would mean that 0.5% of the 1.6 billion people or 8 million people in China are Yao fans (note this doesn't even include the U.S.). Now for Bosh to equal out with Black fans in the U.S. he would need 8 million fans out of the 37.6 million black people, that is 21.2%. Now my question is do you honestly think that 21.2% of all black people in America are fans of Chris Bosh.

Please remember I made quite a few assumption as to percentages here but I think you should be able to get the idea that given the limited number of good Chinese players in the NBA that they will have substantially larger fanbases than anyone else simply due to the size of China.

I also hope your comment that I bolded was a joke.... as I would think it would be obvious to anyone that an earthquake in China kills Chinese.

4. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Toronto won't ask for Yao, they'd rather have, Kevin Martin, Hill, and the two draft picks we picked up from New York. Done deal. Would you guys do it?

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You know, bad comments like this takes all of the fun out of the conversation. To offensive and personal.

6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

ChrisBosh-

I don't think the Rockets would do that. It would just put us in the situation again where we have to find another elite backcourt player.

We need to build around the Brooks/Martin backcourt. Even thought neither is a superstar, they supply a special kind of efficient offense IMO.

I would rather sub Budinger and Ariza into that deal instead of Kmart.

And only 1 draft pick.

7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Please try not to read too much into what says... Try to take it with a grain of salt.

Carl is like a Shock Jock, the Howard Stern of Clutch... About the only way I can descirbe it.

8. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

You have to give one proven commodity, don't expect to get one of the best PF's in the game for a bunch of role players. Not going to happen, you took away a draft pick and the one player that was going to make the trade go down.

Going to have to be more realistic than that, I generally don't like talking about trades becuase of this, too much homerism. There are a few teams under the cap, I'm sure a sign and trade for Bosh will be decent for the Raptors, especially since it appears Wade and Lebron arn't going anywhere. The price will be high.............

9. RocketMania1991

Gasol isn't even a free agent.....and the MLE would be not even close enough.

10. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Yao is a player who is capable of anchoring a defense, Bosh is not.

Trading Yao for Bosh would be about as one sided as it could get with us getting the shaft.

Bosh healthy could possibly add 3-5 wins, Yao healthy could potentially add 10-15 wins to this squad due to how much it would improve our team defense.

Good thing Morey is the GM and not some of you idiots.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Now THIS is a fair trade, and you could even toss in a pick or Ariza or Battier to make it work.

DD

12. BleedRocketsRed

Thank God Morey is not as dumb as this

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Actually Morey is smart, he would make this trade if Toronto was stupid enough to do it.

I love Yao, but you can't bet on a 7'6" guy with bad feet. Just too risky.

This would make the Rockets tons better and more athletic....immediatly.

BTW - I think if we keep Yao, and don't do anything we are contenders anyway, so this is a win win.

DD

14. BleedRocketsRed

I don't see how adding Bosh to this current team makes us a contender.

Yeah he is a major upgrade over Hayes but our defense would still be amongst the worst in the game (like every team Bosh has ever played on).

15. RyanB

RyanB Member

trading Yao for Bosh would be great
    we'd be an athletic team
    but we still need size
    i know that this is not gonna happen, but i prefer having a Bosh-another big athletic 5 than Yao Bosh
    in all cases we need athleticism and strong defense with size to compensate Yao's weakness
    if so then we may contend, but along with Battier and Ariza to defend KB24 LJ, Wade, Melo,Durant

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

They arent trading Yao, its not happening.

17. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Morey is not dumb enough to trade Yao for anyone not named LeBron James or Kevin Durant.

Les Alexander can't afford to trade Yao. NBA is a business. Rockets raked in $22 last year; Les probably made more money because of his investments in China.

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Les could sell the team, but you are correct, the value is tied to Yao.

DD

19. RocketMania1991

You do realize Les owned the Rockets before Yao came right ?

I love how people act like if Yao goes away this team is just in a financial crisis.

Once again if you bring a title to the city you are going to gain much more profit than just keeping a guy simply because he brings in revenue...while never being able to win a title.

Besides Yao is going to have to retire at some point, probably within the next few years if were being realistic.

Are these Chinese fans just going to vanish simply because Yao Ming left the NBA ?

No, the majority of them will probably still be Rockets fans. It's always the general consensus that if Yao leaves then all of Asia leaves. That can't be more of a wrong assumption.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yao has a player option, doesn't he? That means if he is to be traded, the other team would need a guarantee that he wouldn't opt out. Couple that with the fact that the Rockets have a very good relationship with Yao and his agent ... I just don't see him getting traded in the offseason.