1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao doesn't fit the Rox and Rox doesn't fit Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vcchlw, Apr 15, 2003.

1. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Facts about Yao
    1. Yao is not a 1-on-1 guy.
    2. Yao suits to a pass-oriented system, ie. the Kings.

Facts about Rox
    3. Rockets coaching staff don't know how to train Yao
    4. Rockets have an ISO system.
    5. I can't see major change in rosters and coaching staff in Houston. So Facts 3 & 4 will continue.

Admit it. Trade Yao is good for both Rox and Yao himself. Our Rox fans here are deadly eager to see Rox as a playoff team. Trade Yao for the following players will proabably help Rox to the playoff next year:
    1. Wesley Person/Mike Miller/Stromile Swift (any 2, or Yao+Eddie/Mobley for 3)
    2. Brand/Odom/Piakowski (any 2, or Yao+Eddie/Mobley for 3)
    3. Antonio Davis/Vince Carter/Morris Peterson/Alvin Williams (any 2 or 3)
    4. Allan Houston/Kurt Thomas
    5. Drew Gooden/Gordon Giricek/Pat Garrity (any 2)

My trade proposal may not be good, but my point is, trading Yao is no big a deal. Many of you said Yao is the future. Yes, he may be the future of NBA, but not the future of Rox. Cato is already a very good centre and deserved to be started. We can keep Francis and Cato, and then find 2 or 3 players to fit the SG/PG, SF, PF position. If we can get some quality players by trading Yao, we can become the top 4 in the West by 2005.

2. qrui

qrui Member

So do you mean by keeping Yao in Huoston we are going to destroy not only him (being a new NBA player but in the wrong team) but also the Rox?:confused:

3. jli

jli Member

I like your trade idea #4. So i can watch yao play every game.:)

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i totally disagree,

first i think fact 3 is totally untrue. how come you think the rockets can't train Yao? have you been to training? have you personal contact with a coach or Yao? otherwise how come you know this? You are wright the rockets never could train a big man, that is why the rockets never had great centers:rolleyes:
    the iso's have to go, i agree with you on that. but i think it wil. i'm one of those who do think that the inexperiance of the team was the factor that we didn't make the play offs.
    And now for your trades, what were you thinking????why would we want wesly person\mike miller\ stromile swift, for Yao and mobley or yao and griffin, wouldn't we be trading our core for the core of the grizzlies? and aren't the grizzlies a terrible team, the onlye player i would like to see in a rox uniform of the grizzlies is Gasol.
    morris peterson\alvin williams for Yao?????? great trade
    brand and odom for yao? maybe, but i want to keep yao, and the clippers would not do this trade, and stil we are trading for the core of a bad team. (but i might consider this, trade, but i want to keep yao so i think i woudn't do it)
    allan houston\kurt thomas?? yeah great trade, we get a overpaid sg and an undersized center, Houston want to much shots. i woudn;t do this trade ever
    and your lat one is the badest trade i heard in months (ok now i'm overreacting there have been verry stupid trades here in the last couple of months), but you would trade Yao for garrity and giricek??????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    you must be joking:D i'm glad you aren't GM of the rockets.

5. vcchlw

What I am trying to say, even if Yao has the potential to be a bright star, he will not make Rox a successful team. In other words, if we can trade Yao for other good players (I'm not trying to say Yao is not a good player of course), I think Rox can win more games and be a tougher team than the team with Yao.

6. vcchlw

Yao is 7'5" and 300. All of us agree that he is not Shawn Bradley.
    Well, I had this thought when I saw more 6'5" or 6'6" guys dunked on Yao who could do nothing about that; when I saw Yao could only get 2 or 3 rebounds in 30+ min of play; when I saw Yao just struggled for position and missed some soft layups in the paint, etc, etc. Yao is responsible for most of these of course, but the coaching and training stuff should also bear some responsibilities.

So what's your logic? You think the players in a terrible team is worthless, huh? Remember when Marbury is in NJ, Nets was a terrible team, but after Kidd took it over, it became the top seed in the East. So according to your logic, Jefferson, Martin, Van Horn are worthless players who made up a team which went straight to the NBA Finals?

Yes, I admit my trade proposals may not sound good, but this is not the point. Yao is a good player, but Rox can trade Yao to make itself a better team.

Yes, you are right. How can I be comparable to our great GM, who still can't make Rox to the playoff with Francis, Mobley and Yao in is team? The Dream will be sorry for that. :eek:

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The Rockets will trade Steve before they trade Yao....you can chisel that one in granite.

8. matrixReloaded

watever, :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

Thats funny. I thought that is how most most successful post players score their points. 1 on 1.

So you want Yao on a team where he will get even less touches than he does now?

Obviously this is an opinion and I disagree. If any staff in the NBA is equipped to properly train Yao, it is ours.

This is not only an opinion but incorrect also. We have run very few ISOs this year, especially compared to last season. We run some kind of screen/PnR on almost every play. We rarely isolate one player on one side of the court anymore.

How will these facts continue if they are not even true? :eek:

No patience for the development of a 21 year old big man eh? So are you saying that there is no way Yao will improve?

None of the players you named are worth Yao's potential.

Person, Miller and Swift are the nucleus of the one of the worst teams in the league. So trading Yao for them will improve us how?

Brand, Odom and Piatkowski are part of the nucleus of one of the worst teams in the league (and have been their whole careers. So trading Yao for them will improve us how?

Hmmmm, the whole starting lineup for the Toronto Raptors (again, the nucleus of one of the worst teams in the league) for Yao. I guess that will make us better?

Allan Houston and Kurt Thomas. Same theme. Team didnt even make the playoffs in a weak East. Yet, I am sure they will lead us to the promised land.

Gooden, Giricek and Garrity. GGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!! 3 role players for a 21 year old potentionally dominant center. To quote Jerry Seinfeld, "Yeah ....I like this idea". :rolleyes:

How about some of you guys wait another 2-3 years before dumping a potential franchise center to the highest bidder. :rolleyes:

10. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

You know what I'm sick of?????

these Damn Yao Only Posters. If you're not a Rocket Fan get the hell off of this site. This is a ROCKETS BBS, and Yao Ming is a Rocket.

Just because one guy on our team is Chinese doesn't mean all your fans should discount our team, its history and its franchise. Most of us here have been bleeding Rocket red for years and will after Yao Ming is gone. Though I love the guy, I want what is best for the Rockets, not Yao Ming or China.

So take your "Yao" would be better utilized elsewhere and your bad grammar and get lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Of the four parties in this equation -- Yao, his current teammates, the Rockets, and you -- the only two that are sure to still be together a year from now are Yao and the Rockets.

12. silentfan

silentfan Member

apparently you forgot Larry Smith has been Yao's "big man" coach. I think its clear the ineptitude of the ass coach for the past 15 or so games. You know, the coach who favors Cato over Yao? The one who yanks yao after one missed shot attempt and even when yao's hot? I don't know about you, but if Larry Smith is the best the rox org has to train Yao, then Yao needs to leave asap.

13. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

A-train is right. Francis will be traded before Yao...get used to the idea of him being a Rocket.

And if you really want to humour yourself with trade proposals for Yao, at least come up with some guys that are comparable value.

3 role players for 1 potential superstar center doesn't make for a good trade.

We were very fortunate to land him, and we sure as hell not going to get rid of him after one season.

14. codell

codell Contributing Member

So you expected Yao to be a 20PPG/12RPB and 3BPG in one year?

Have you considered that maybe Smith IS teaching him these things and that it will take time for Yao to develop what he is taught?

I had no problem with Smith reducing Yao's minutes. Yao was blowing layup after layup, getting blocked by people 8" shorter than he was, not blocking shots and not grabbing rebounds. Yao was tired and was not effective. But I guess this is Larry Smith's fault?

Cato was brining energy and hustle into many of those games.

Take out the Spurs and Nugget games and Yao is averaging almost 30 mins per game (his season avg.) since Smith took over yet is only averaging 11.6 pts, 7.7 rebs, and 1 block per game. Plus he is shooting only 43%. But I guess this is Smith's fault also?

Bottom line is, Yao was fading and not producing.

The time has come for some of the blame to be put on Yao and not Smith.

15. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

You know, Yao pretty much played basketball all year round. It is only understandable that he faded in the second half.

However, some people here forget that he is a human being who puts on his socks and shoes every day like the rest of us. I guess they think he is some kind of super hero.:rolleyes:

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I agree with you (vcchlw) If there are no changes.. Type of game played ( Team Basketball)
    Roster Changes ( A pass first Point Guard that plays defence), ( role players that play the team Game), (A Power Forward that is agresive and knows how to play Team Defence)
    Coaching Changes ( Assistant Coaches return to the tape-room, Professional Basketball Coaches Hired.
    Specialty Coach ( Moses Malone needs to coach Yao Ming inorder for him to stand any chance of becoming a great Center in the NBA)

If this list isnt addressed then Yao Ming should be given the chance to play for a team that will appreciate his contribution to the Game. The Rockets will of course go on blind to the blunder that they have made. Cutino Mobley wins the 6th Man Award in 2010, Steve Francis is selected the starting PG for the West for 12 consecutive years. The Rockets make the playoffs in 2006 and every year till Head Coach Rudy T retires in 2025. Les goes bankcrupt in 2006 because of the poor attendance. :eek:

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Stop posting...NOW !!!

Yao is as much to blame for the teams poor showing as the rest of the bunch.

If Yao was more aggressive and not such a panzy he would not get his little 1 foot flip shots sent into the first row.

Yao needs to get tougher, and the Rocks need to surround him with better shooters.

Yao is staying in Houston for now and forever...deal with it...

DD

18. x_trepidation_x

There is something wrong when every team in the NBA would want Yao Ming but the fans in this board think Yao is not good for the team.

Are you guys Rocket fans or are you fans of other teams who want Yao to get traded?

It is disturbing when a gift is landed in our hands and we don't appreciate it. I guess the saying goes, "what is gold for one person is trash for another". The only problem is the rest of the NBA think what we have is gold but we are the only one who think it is trash.

19. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

crack. it's bad for you.