1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao can be a free agent in 2010...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ccjj, Jan 29, 2009.

1. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/11315452

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

This really hasn't been discussed. The possibility of Yao actually opting out of his contract :eek: . Sure it will even free up more cap space, but there are not many centers like Yao in the NBA today.

3. 1individual

1individual Member

I don't think Yao will go anywhere. Even if he plays greasy hes going to be resigned until he retires.

4. MD_in_Training

If Yao opts out, Houston will be in a world of hurt. The Big 3 won't go to Houston, and the other free agents are essentially a step down from what we have now.

5. boby

boby Member

If Yao gets more and more frustrated this season, this can happen. Yao might opt out. Actually this might be better for both Rockets and Yao: Rockets get a chance to rebuilt (since Tmac-Yao proved to be a failure) and Yao might get his chance to get a ring somewhere.

6. boby

boby Member

Dude, this choice is both way, remember. Actually, next year the choice is in Yao's hand.

7. teamball2008

teamball2008 Member

Maybe he will leave. He had never be the first option in Houston. As second option, he could go to the Lakers, the Cavaliers, or the Heats, and he will have good chance to get the ring at those places.

8. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

There's a reason no others care to mention Yao in the free agent market in 2010.

Never underestimate Yao's loyalty to the Rockets. I bet he might even accept lesser salary if the Management showed him a prospective proposal.

The Rockets will be given up Yao before Yao gives up the Rockets.

9. boby

boby Member

This is joke of the day.
    Yao might look loyal however he is certainly not DUMB. If the chance for him to get a ring here in Huston is getting slim, he WILL opt out.

10. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

i can see yao leaving. he doesnt make his decisions by himself. he's a patriot. so if his country thinks he'll do more for his country by going to a larger market (LA, NY) and earn more money, then he'll probably do it.

if this happens, at least you have lots of cap space. only you dont probably have that much big time free agents left to sign.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think it will never reach that point because if Yao really feels like he wants to leave, he'd talk with the Rockets and they'd work out a trade before it gets to that point.

Despite the big 2010 bonanza of FA, none of them are young anymore. And giving up on Yao pretty much indicates full-fledged rebuilding, in which case young talent is more important than cap space.

Personally I think it's more likely that we'll let T-Mac go and get a 2nd tier FA. Yao + FA + our deep team could work provided we get some growth among our current players.

12. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Sometime kid like this is really annoying.

Pay some attention to what Yao said before and try to understand the core values of general Chinese.

13. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I wonder how much the traffic on this website will drop if Yao leaves or when he retires.

14. boby

boby Member

You saw greedy Chinese, you saw coward Chinese, you saw crazy Chinese, you saw a**hole Chinese, but when was the last time you saw any 'loyal' Chinese?
    Don't call me a racist, because I am a Chinese.

15. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Yao seems loyal to the Rockets. He's always on time and works hard. He still lives with his parents? I doubt he cheats on his wife. I say he's a pretty loyal guy. As long as management treats him well I don't see him leaving.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yao isn't going anywhere.

17. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

Chinese people especially in China care more about $$$ than loyalty. Seriously...

18. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

I hate any attempt to categorize people based on where they are from, seriously, stop it!

19. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Exactly most of 'em are,I'm not biased toward 'em 'cause I'm a Chinese,but sometimes they are loyal as well.BUT I HAVE FAITH IN YAO AND HE WON'T LEAVE UNLESS THE TEAM FAILS HIM AGAIN.

20. The Brian

The Brian Member

yao will not take anything less than the max if he resigns...

any team in the league would offer him a max contract so why should he take any less.