1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Breaks Foot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Apr 10, 2006.

Tags:
  1. terse

terse Member

As someone who has personal experience with bone problems, I can tell you that microfractures can start long before you can see or feel them. When Okur cracked the foot bone, Yao could feel it then, but the foot was almost certainly already weak. And the most likely explanation for that weakness is all the lateral movement JVG has been forcing Yao to do beyond the defensive arc.

2. terse

terse Member

Hey, I just noticed, ^^^ that was my 400th post! Woo hoo! I'm going to enjoy being a senior member for a few days, then become a contributing member.

3. Panda

Panda Member

You misunderstood what I meant. My words were "Nobody gives a crap about professionalism and sportsmanship when it's said and done ." It's not about the Yao situation right now, it's about which NBA player retired 10 years ago being remembered for his remarkable prefessionalism at insisting playing out a lost season? Off the top of my head. Nada, zilch, zero. I'd further say that I don't know any NBA player gets into the Hall of Fame because of professionalism and sportsmanship. The fact is, a punk like Karl Malone ends up in the Hall of Fame because of his points total. It's not about a display of professionalism here in the NBA, it's about performance. Professionalism is the more the better, but a current player's performance is generally more important to me. After twenty years, when I talk about players at present, I'd probably only care about "oh Yao and T-Mac had 5 rings together", who would care then if Yao played out a losing season?

Besides, sitting out a few games doesn't hurt the integrity of Yao or the Rockets in any ways. You attitude is myopic. I've already stated sitting out a few games when the season is lost is the equivalent of sitting out the end of a game when it's down 20 points with 4 minutes to go, for the obvious reason to conserve energy and protect starters. Every team does it, every coach does it, and I've never seen fans having problems with it, well, maybe except you and a few others.

4. Amel

Amel Member

I don't think Yao will be out for 6 months

he should be fully healthy in probably three months

can't wait for next season

5. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It is true that Karl Malone will be a hall of famer for his point total not because of his professionalism. But professionalism may be more important than point totals or getting into the hall of fame.

One tells of things someone has done for a small amount of time in their life. The other deals directly with what kind of person they are. To me the kind of person they are is far more important.

6. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

I understood quite well. You said THIS:
    "Nobody gives a crap about professionalism and sportsmanship when it's said and done ."

and I said this:

"This attitude stinks".

Again, I never said anything was wrong with reducing Yao's minutes, so you're barking up the wrong tree there. You just don't like that I called you out on your embracing the notion that principles, pride, and integrity don't matter. We disagree. That's it. I don't like that attitude, but you're entitled. I won't resort to name calling, I'm just calling it like I see it, and pointing out that these things DO matter to some people.

You're right about Karl, and about the fact that professionalism and integrity might not give you fame on it's own, but my point is, that with some people, those things matter. And I could care less about Karl getting into the Hall of Fame, because I know what kind of player he was... one who was good enough to be among the best, but chose to play like a cheater anyway. Kinda like Barry Bonds... ALLEGEDLY. Getting in the hall of fame or the record books does not immediately beget my respect... often for some of the reasons we have discussed. In fact, with people like this, it makes me respect them less than if they hadn't gotten in at all.

No matter what recognition they achieve, I have very little respect for either of them, but it's true I can't deny their skills. To me, that's the shame of it.

Thanks for bringing Karl up, this proves my point perfectly. This exemplifies precisely what I'm talking about. He could have been one of the most respected players ever, based solely on his play on the court, instead I'll always remember him as a tiny-footed, floor-flopping, elbow-throwing cheater, who in the end, gave up and left his team to get a ring because he never could on his own (and what did THAT get him?)... and the shame of it? HE DIDN'T HAVE TO BE LIKE THAT TO BE GREAT. That won't be in the books, but I'll always know it was true.... whether he gets in the hall or not. Maybe others won't know, but that's principles for you. Some people care. This is my point, and it stands directly in opposition to your NOBODY GIVES A CRAP comment.

This is just spillover from the TANK argument, and does not relate well in this thread anymore, and you seem to just want to argue. Hey, I'm mad about Yao's foot too, and I'm not even sure I'd have had him in that game, but we're running in circles here, and it seems mostly because we disagree on whether the Team should have been trying to lose or not, which has nothing to do with this.

Have a nice day. :)

7. Panda

Panda Member

Crazydave:

There is two interpretations to my words. One, players are remembered because of their career achievements. Things like professionalism isn't the deciding factor. Two, the professionalism of a player is not of any value to anybody. Both interpretations are legit. My response was an attempt to widen your receiving bandwidth so both points can be at your consideration. ;) so that my words won't be taken out of context.

Besides, don't say that I seem to just want to argue. It takes two to tango. Your criticism towards me merits explanation. And your posts gave me an impresson of the attitude of putting professionalism over performance. It sounds like 5 year old thinking to me. Just a little unrealistic and juvenile, and I was being honest.

Still, what's at stake is at this point, is professionalism more important than performance? My answer is no, for the reasons I explained. Second, does Yao sitting out affect his integrity and professionalism? My answer is still no, because at this point sitting out the season is no different from sitting out a lost game in the final minutes. If I can get these two points across to you, fine, if not, no big deal.

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member