1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Breaks Foot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Apr 10, 2006.

Tags:
  1. terse

terse Member

And especially if JVG is still the coach. You have a point.

OK, let me rephrase. The Rockets have an excellent chance to make serious noise in next season's playoffs, even if they have only an average summer of recruiting. Assuming, of course, that our stars will be healthy. The team should therefore be making every effort to watch out for the health of Yao and T-Mac.

2. solid

solid Member

It is really going to take a big dose of LUCK to rehab the Rockets. The personnel selections (role players) of the JVG/CD combo have been abysmal. Too old, too slow, too Knicks, too everything but talented. This side of the team needs a serious makeover. But how? Surely Bogans and Brunson are gone. Why should Bowen not join them? Alston and Wesley might be serviceable back-ups. Howard is probably unmovable. Hayes and Head are interesting young bench players. Swift is like furniture. Mutombo still has some miles left but running on fumes. I haven't seen Lampe play. Who is left? When you throw TMac's and Ming's health problems into this mix a winning season it does not make. I am really scratching my head right now, and praying for a miracle. Is there a genius lurking in the weeds?

3. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

So let me get this straight...

1) It has occured several times in the past
    2) Yao injures his left foot in game prior to this
    3) Both Yao and the team know that there is a chronic problem in this foot
    4) Yao still plays in a meaningless game and breaks same foot

I don't know who is to blame for this, but I would start with Yao, then the trainer, and lastly the coach. Yao should have even understood that his leg is broken because he broke it so many times, and stopped playing immediately.

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

You wouldnt want to see him play anyways. Missed everything on a back down post turn around. Very very raw. As raw as sushi.

5. xlr817

xlr817 Member

I wish the Great Wall a speedy recovery! My prayers goes out to him & to his mom & dad! I think it will be OK & hopefully return next season healthy. My main concern is his conditioning. Now he needs to wear some light weight shoes made of some type of armor. That can withstand a small nuclear blast! ;) I have a feeling when he returns, he will see alot of new faces on the team. This might be a good thing if the ROXS draft well & pick up a surprising free agent or two, or maybe a trade.

6. Zach Kang

Zach Kang Member

Now it is offical that Yao will rest for 6 months and will have a surgery on his left foot this weekend....He will miss all the CNT games and Preseason Training camp for next season..Just when you think things couldn't get worse.
    Rightnow this injury not only jeopardises CNT games also Rox's Next season!!!
    Great Job JVG :mad:

7. Amel

Amel Member

my friend broke his foot in two places

he had two options, risk and wait with no surgery

or surgery..

he did not go with the surgery, had to wait about two months before playing basketball again..I think he is still carefull with his foot even tho it happened 4 months ago....

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Well. . .. Yao will get some rest

Rocket River

9. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

Once again, no one cares about the crappy CNT and how they play like little girls without Yao. Go to another website if you want to talk about the weak CNT.

And JVG isn't at fault for Yao's injury.

10. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Member

I'd like to get something off my chest and its not this hot blonde sitting on it either, but

Damn JVG. I haven't been real critical with Jvg because I think he knows what he's doing. But him saving face kinda set us back a little bit. I know it was a freak accident, but when Yao tweaked his ankle against Sacramento my heart skipped about a beat and half. That would've influenced me on keeping him out.

That said, I hope everything heals fine and we continue our Streak to finish the season with the lowest possible record.

ohh yeah EFF the JAzz :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

11. terse

terse Member

I would prefer the hot blonde. :D :D

Absolutely. JVG seems to be absolutely heartless about his players' physical condition. Remember him calling out T-Mac even as Tracy was battling his bad back? Well, we all know what happened to Tracy a few games later.

JVG also forces Yao to defend guards out to the arc, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this has been a factor in the foot injury. Sure, the Okur kick might have been the most direct cause of the break, but maybe the foot was already weak because of all the stress Yao has been putting on it, thanks to all the guard-chasing. Changing directions, and lateral movement in general, is extremely hard on a 300-lb man, and is especially hard on his feet. Van Gundy didn't seem to understand that -- or, more likely, didn't care.

12. VesceySux

VesceySux Member

Zach Kang, you ARE aware that Yao has his own forum, right? Seems like you've got a serious case of Yaomania. Man, if I were you, I'd totally get that checked out by a doctor. I hear Yaomania severely curtails logical thinking and promotes senseless posting. Get well soon!

(Oh... and the only prescription... is more cowbell!)

13. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Member

Ha ha ha ha. Yao runs up and down the court all night, banging in and out of the paint against two and three guys and it's FLASHING OUT ON PICKS that broke his foot.

Maybe you should just take a couple days off from the bbs and cool down, bro.

14. terse

terse Member

Hah, I knew someone would misread my posting, which is why I haven't gone to bed yet.

Hippieloser, I was complaining about the lateral movement that Yao is forced to do when chasing guards on defence. Whenever he has to go sideways, all of his weight (all 300 lbs of it) falls on the edge of one foot. The stress on the bone is so great, I'm surprised it doesn't crack more often. JVG should know this, but he doesn't seem to care.

Fire JVG!

15. Panda

Panda Member

I feel like reading a five year old's writing. Professionalism? Sportsmanship? Your attitude of putting those things above better chances at a ring is what stinks dude. What I said are facts and I'd repeat it to you until you get it:

Nobody gives a crap about professionalism and sportsmanship when it's said and done. People'd remember how many points Yao scored or how many rings he had.

Rings are more important than professionalism and sportsmanship to me. It's my right to choose the priorities. I watch sports for the real victories. Not for some meaningless games' moral victories. Your preference to watching some professional and sportsmanlike losers play over real victories is baffling to me, but that's your choice, albeit not to my taste.

Sports is about winning by the rules. Ain't no rules say a professional can't take some much needed rest. Ain't no rules say a professional have to play meaningless games. Nobody is obligated to play every game for the fans. The players are paid by the owners, not the fans. The owners and the management have the right to weigh between the short term and long term benefits, then decide what is the best for the team.

Playing Yao is a classic stupid example of taking short term benefits - a few games earnings over long term benefits, a healthy Yao and a better shot at improving the team.

16. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

I have said, even in the post you quote, that Yao should probably have had his time on the court reduced. You dodge my point while spouting off again about the whole thing (See thread titled "MISSION CRITICAL-lose at all costs"), and yes, now you have Yao's injury to 'back it up.'

It doesn't change my opinion of your attitude. Your opinion is fine. We disagree, that's great, but it's the principles behind it that bothered me... (see bold part of my post) but that's ok, you're entitled. I just disagree, and find the "ends justifying the means" mentality a bit... bereft of integrity. Obviously integrity means nothing to you in this arena, and you have stated as much on more than one occasion. My pointing that out shouldn't upset you, as you have stated it readily.

Maybe you're a great guy... I mean, it's just basketball, and it's just entertainment. Sports diversion for the masses. So don't take it so personally. I feel, that even in the NBA, winning isn't everything. I didn't say it means nothing, I said it isn't everything. Most of your reaction to my post is really reaction to our "Tanking" argument in that other thread, so I won't go any further overboard with this, and will plainly say that this quote...
    " It's like a racer already lost a car race, kept driving at full speed, got himself injured bumping into a wall for all these "professionalism" and "sportsmanship" crap. Nobody gives a crap about professionalism and sportsmanship when it's said and done. People'd just remember how many points Yao scored or how many rings he had."

is what I was referring to, and I stand by my evaluation. That attitude is a drag, and I am proof that the generalization just isn't true.

As for your "five year old comment", c'mon. Have you read your posts? Stay on topic, you're better than this, right?

==========

"It's easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you think you've got the stock market beat. But the man worth while, is the man who can smile, when his pants are too tight in the seat." -Judge Schmails

17. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Member

But see, his foot DIDN'T CRACK or get injured in ANY WAY RELATED EVER to lateral movement of any kind! YAO HIMSELF said it was broken when OKUR KICKED IT.

But JVG doesn't control Okur, so it MUST be the lateral movement that "weakened" Yao's foot until it broke. Amiright, guys?

18. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

Now THAT's funny.
    ;)

19. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I agree. I think the Rockets problems are deeper then injuries to Yao and T-Mac. Regardless of their record together, the rest of the team just downright sucks. Maybe except for Howard and Alston.

We need some better role players. How on earth is this team going to compete with SA, Phoenix, Dallas, Detroit, and Miami which are stacked with talented role-players in addition to their superstars. We need to take the burden off of our stars because clearly the grind is too much - JVG may be driving them too hard and they are getting injured.

I think it's time to seriously consider parting ways with JVG and finding another coach. Where is Rudy T when you need him?

20. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans