1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Breaks Foot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Apr 10, 2006.

Tags:
  1. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

the same thing happened to my little brother when he was 7.. he fell and broke it then he stood up and walked then it couldn't hold him so he fell down again.. BAD NEWS: He almost needed surgery for that.. but thank god he didn't .. but he did stay in bed for 4 months.. so, congratulation NON_TANKERS.... :D

2. Rasselas

Rasselas Member

terse, I respect your opinion, and I understand your position.

By this logic, though, you would bench all these players for the rest of the season?

Ray Allen
    Zach Randolfh
    Kevin Garnett
    Marbury
    Steve Francis
    Chris Paul
    Gerald Wallace
    Joe Johnson
    Chris Bosh
    Paul Pierce

In the case of Garnett, or anyone who has a minor injury that risks being aggravated, fine. But for the rest.... really? You want to watch a league where coaches bench their best players, even when they're 100% healthy, just to avoid injuries? Really?

David Stern wouldn't stand for that. The fans wouldn't stand for that.

If a player is healthy, like Yao was, I want to see him on the court. Saying that Van Gundy is "brain dead" for sharing that view is a little extreme.

#182 Rasselas, Apr 11, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  3. eman

eman Member

It scares me. I'm one of the hysterical ones on this forum who "told you so." I'm also old enough to remember Bill Walton, Sam Bowie, and Ralph Sampson. Yao is tall and tough enough to play with a peg leg if he has to-- but wouldn't it be nice to see him able to jump, if only a little bit, and be able to land without fear of repetitive stress fractures? This is indeed the cherry atop the feces cake that was this season. I'm sure we will get glowing reports about his rehab progress this summer, but this is now at least three times-- that we know of-- that he has fractured his left foot.

4. verynice

verynice Member

i AM JUST COMMENTING ON YUR SAY NO TO REDDICK AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR POST, EVER THINK THAT YAO WOULDN`T have stepped on the foot of a guard who was, "so in his back pocket that he couldn`t even put his feet on floor b/c point guard was packed in way too close" you need great shooters to spread the floor and give yao some room to put his feet down. Same damn thing happened in sac. as when he went across lane the lane had 8 guys in it....if you say no to reddick in my opinion, you are saying no to yao...actually you need 2 great shooters to give yao a break down low, b/c our guards suck...despite their so called shooting %`s...and progress...j. howard can score lots of points when it doesn``t matter, but when you need that important open shot hit, or rebound, he is a dog...unless he`s the man!!!

5. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

You beat me to it. The Rockets owe it to the teams playing for a their playoff lives to put forth their best effort - especially against teams like UTH, SAC, NOK, LAL.

6. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

JVG is just too stubborn. He lacks tactics and flexibility. I am not talking about his X and O's.

He was actually trying hard to win the game last night and he was so upset when Hayes missed both FT's. :eek: He was hired to win, to win a ring, to win in the long run. Why is he so short-sighted? That makes me mad.

7. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Member

Umm, you haven't even been a member for 2 weeks......

Pugs

8. texanskan

texanskan Member

Steve Francis? Is that guy even a starter in the nba? Who cares about him?

Well on a serious note a hope Yao never ever plays again for China, I know that is not gonna happen but I really wish we could have Yao here year around and not have to deal with the china national team.

9. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

so you know?

10. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Member

Isn't Bosh already out for the season?

Pugs

11. Rasselas

Rasselas Member

Oops, you're right. But you get the gist of my point...

12. zong

zong Member

JVG's lovers are just stubborn as JVG. There is no way to communicate with them. By the way, after Yao broken his foot, Hayes was forced to play the game. How about before Yao injure, Hayes was not in games much. The 610
    people also complain to not play young players.

13. solid

solid Member

This injury is especially disturbing, because it has happened twice before the Rockets drafted Ming. That makes it a "chronic" problem that could become an ongoing problem like TMac's back. There is 300+lbs of weight on that foot, not good. Are the Rockets destined to become the new "Atlanta?" This is just unbelievable! :(

14. alaskansnowman

The smart thing to do would have been to sit Yao out. Yes - he is fully healthy and the fans wouldn't like it, but the fact is he would have had to play a lot for China this summer. In addition, I'm sure he does have some minor injury thats nagging him... almost every NBA player does. Give the man some rest so that he doesn't get completely worn out in China.

Now thats all a moot point with his broken foot. This could prove to be a blessing in disguise because he won't have to play for China very much this summer. He can get another summer's worth of rest. The bad news is that this seems to be a chronic foot problem since he's broken it twice before.

15. Almu

Almu Member

I just can't believe that people actually think this is Gundys fault. NO player sits out playing just to rest for NEXT season. I have never heard of it nor seen anything like that. All of the Knicks are still playing. So are all of the Atlanta Hawks. I don't see anyone sitting on those teams. But its to the point now with the Van Gundy hating that its bordering on cartoonish. This place has gone nuts. If he broke his foot playing for China, I am sure Gundy would also take the brunt of the blame.

The hate is just so extreme. I am glad there hasn't been any blame towards him for 9/11...yet.

(Don't even try it, EDC)

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

How many times has he broken it since we drafted him? I'm going to assume it was a freak thing, until proven otherwise. I think he should have been sitting on the bench, but that's another story.

17. leosword

leosword New Member

I never heard it has happened twice! Actually, Yao broke his ankle once when he was in shanghai shark!

18. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

It's a freakin' accident on the first look.

But if one tries to connect the dots -- big toe surgery, ankle twist, two-time stress fractures all happening on the pivotal left foot, which is allegedly 1 size smaller than the right foot -- it makes one wonder if how much more aggressive Yao can be in the low post battling multiple defenders game in game out.

Just like TMac's back, Yao's nagging injuries on this left foot are a big concern for the Rockets.

This essentially requires more from the role players, and it's a tricky position for JVG or whoever succeeds him. Do you still draw your plays heavily revolving around your superstar players or you adopt more balanced approaches that uitilize the role players? Tough call.

#198 wnes, Apr 11, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  19. noize

noize Member

I hate how people say, "oh, its just a freak accident, it can happen anytime...so its not JVG fault". Its called reducing the risk and we apply that to our every day life, and if they(Rockets staff) had use priliminary precaution, this would not have happen. If they're not goin to sit him out after he first injured his left foot(at Sac town), why didn't they provide him with some kind of protective shoe?

20. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

YAO FOOT INJURY IS NOT THAT BAD, BECAUSE HE KEPT PLAYING FOR AT LEAST 2 POSSESIONS RUNNING UP AND DOWN THE COURT. (AND THEN SHOT HIS FREE THROW). I PLAYED COLLEGE FOOTBALL FOR 4 YEARS AND WHEN I SAW A TEAMMATE SERIOUSLY BREAK THEIR FOOT THEY DIDNT NOT WALK OFF THE FEILD. SINCE YAO WAS ABLE TO WALK OFF THE COURT, THAT SHOW HIS INJURY WAS NOT THAT BAD. MAYBE YAO CANT RUN NOW BUT HIS CONDITIONING WILL NOT BE HORRIBLE BECAUSE INJURED PLAYERS LIVE ON THE EXCERCISE BIKE!