1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao becoming part of popular imaginarion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ricealum, Jan 19, 2004.

1. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

Yao Ming has a chance to increase the Rockets' popularity in the same way the Jordan did for the Bulls and LeBron is doing for the Cavs. He is becoming known outside the basketball world in the popular culture. A few random bits of evidence from personal experience:

1. On the front page of the Boston Globe, there was an article about how big vehicles cause problems at parking lots. Here's how the article began: "At 6 feet, 8 inches, a Ford Excursion is 9 inches shorter than Houston Rockets center Yao Ming." That's on the front page of a nationally known, large circulation, east coast paper.

2. My next door neighbor, who knows nothing about basketball, can't name a single member of the home town Celtics since the Antoine Walker trade. But she knows who Yao is.

3 (My favorite one). On the train the other night on the way home from work, I opened my 17" PowerBook to catch up on some work, and by coincidence, the guy sitting next to me had a 12" PowerBook. The guy across from us looked up and said, "Hey, it's Yao Ming and Mini Me!" And everyone laughed.

Unless the Rockets totally fall on their faces, they are going to be on TV a lot from now on, and you'll start seeing Rockets shirts and caps all over the country.

2. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

It seems to me that Yao is becoming more of a novelty item than a potentially great basketball player.

But hey, it's more Rockets publicity.:)

3. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

:D :D :D

4. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

ricealum, you correct!

Jordan captivated:
    Bulls fans
    NBA fans
    Sports fans
    Sport Writers (outside Chicago)
    Non-Sports fans
    Movie Producers
    Actors
    Presidents
    Foreign Presidents

Yao is following in thoes same footsteps. All you have to do is go into work and ask a non-sports fan this question: "Do you know who Yao Ming is?"

They will probably say, "Oh, yeah. That tall guy in that commerical? Yo! Yo!"
    I live in Maryland, and everyone I've asked knows who Yao is. Even a little old Korean lady that does my dry cleaning. I asked this question last year after the visa commercial.

#4 DavidS, Jan 19, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2004
  5. yusiye

yusiye Contributing Member

That was VISA commerical:rolleyes:
    (VISA commerical department will be pissed if they see this reply)

6. DavidS

Heh...thanks.

They are all the same to me. They take my money! :D

7. feishen

feishen Member

I wonder why Yao hasnt been on new comercial this year. According to some advertising expert, Yao's commercial appeal is dropping here in the US. It seems that the big fella is not too worry about it. He dosnt like the spot light.

8. DavidS

My favorite commericals on sports stars has always been the Gatorade ones.
    I'm sure they will do more of those. Or ReeBok.

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I think Ming's marketing appeal will grow as his English gets better and he's allowed to show more of his personality publicly. Still, he has an entire nation he's repping, so I figure that much like MJ and Tiger Woods he'll be a non-entity when it comes to opening his mouth on social issues, celebrities and sports figures publicly.

10. feishen

feishen Member

Since you mentioned it. Yao did appear on the new gatorade commerical, even though only one second. :D :D

11. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Yao will be the face of NBA when the new office is opened in China this year. His popularity is rising steadily.

Frankly I couldn't careless about his commercials; as long as Rockets are winning, Yao's name WILL be there.

12. DavidS

The mere fact that he does open his mouth will be a news story. When Yao does talk the media is *all ears* ! It's funny!

Front Page New York Times!!!: Yao says "Hi!"

:D

Just wait until the playoffs. You know. The post-game interviews. I wonder if Yao will say a few words?

13. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I wonder if yao gets to choose all the commercials he does. they are all pretty badass! except for that ladder one:eek: