1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao accepts playoff responsibilities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Visagial, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

I think it's pretty clear Yao's been exhausted these last couple of weeks.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2504256

Yao accepts playoff responsibilities
    Postseason magnifies Rockets' needs
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

His energy wasn't there. His legs were heavy, his shot flat. Yao Ming demanded more and more of himself, but he had begun to feel as he had late last season, when he could not shake off the exhaustion.

He has reminded himself repeatedly that this season, there is more to win, and lose. His responsibility is so much greater. Determined to will himself through his slide, he only became increasingly critical and frustrated when he failed to deliver. A man who considers napping a hobby could not sleep at night.

By the time the Rockets' losing streak reached five games, Yao was beating himself up so relentlessly, coach Jeff Van Gundy stepped in to stop the fight.

Yao lost in a TKO.

The losing streak ended, and with a win over the Denver Nuggets on Friday, the Rockets secured a playoff spot. With Monday's 111-107 win at Seattle, they guaranteed themselves the seventh seed in the Western Conference playoffs.

Yao knows the Rockets (45-36) will need more of him in the postseason and wonders if he can light another fire.

"I think it (fatigue) has affected me," Yao, 22, said Monday morning. "There are a lot of things I want to do, but I can't get it done.

"I worry that if I play like this, it will affect the playoffs. I feel like I'm pulling on myself. But I worry I'll wear myself out in the regular season and not be able to play until the end.

"Last year, it really was almost over. This year, we have a lot to go. We still have a road to travel. We were prepared to make it to the end of the season. Beyond that, I'm not sure."

But by Monday evening in Seattle, he began to show more of that spark, and his mood brightened. He had 20 points and nine rebounds. Beyond the numbers, he seemed determined to move quickly defensively and decisively offensively.

With the Mavericks at Toyota Center tonight to complete the regular season, they bring a reminder of how sensational a difference-maker Yao can be and might have to be in the playoffs where the maddening craftiness of Sacramento's Vlade Divac or brute force of LA's Shaquille O'Neal awaits him.

When Dallas last was in town, Yao had 29 points to complete his run to his first Western Conference player of the week award. In three games that week, he averaged 29.5 points on 62.5 percent shooting.

"He's very tough," Mavericks center/forward Dirk Nowitzki said that afternoon. "He's 7-5. He's got strong legs. He's going to be a dominant player for years to come. At the beginning, we tried to play him man-to-man and he just ate us alive.

"He had his little turnaround working, his little jump hook working. He's tough to guard. He won the game for them. He's going to be a heck of a player."

Yao surpassed 25 points in his third consecutive game that day. Since then, he has done it in three of the 19 games, including four overtime games.

But scoring is only an indicator. The Rockets need Yao to be agile and alert enough to be a consistent force in the paint on both ends of the floor and stay out of foul trouble. He can keep opposing players from penetrating without blocking shots and can help key the Rockets' offense without scoring. But when he is sluggish, he tends to arrive late in help situations and draws fouls.

"We need him to play big minutes for us," Van Gundy said. "If we're going to beat anybody of quality, he can't be taking the kind of fouls he's been taking. We need him to play at a high energy level over a long period of time. In the playoffs, he's going to need to play 38 to 40 minutes if we're going to beat anybody we play. He's got to deliver late. I think that's critical."

Yao, the only Rocket to have played in every game this season, seemed more lively Monday and happily said he felt more like himself.

"It makes it more fun," he said. "At least I didn't feel like I was wasting my effort out there. I knew what I was doing.

"The first two fouls in Utah, I think I could have gotten there and made a defensive stop without fouling. But I wanted to move my feet to a certain position and just couldn't get there in time.

"Even though this was just a regular-season game, we don't want to carry the way we've been playing into the playoffs. We had to alter that and go in on a better note."

For Yao, Monday's win at Seattle might have been a quick first step in that direction. But Yao knows he must do more. The more he expects of himself, the more difficult he has been to please, and the more he has battled with himself to find a balance between being demanding without becoming overly critical again.

"I definitely haven't found the middle point yet," he said.

Van Gundy will allow him to look and might appreciate that Yao has had to struggle with being too critical. But he doesn't have to beat himself up about it, even if it is a rare occasion in which he can pick on someone his own size.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Our big guy better step it up. We will need him to be his best. He can't be lacked with energy anymore. HE MUST STEP UP!!!

GO ROX!!!!:cool:

3. PXZ

PXZ Member

We are 0-4 against queens. Both Yao and Steve have to play their best in order for us to have a chance. For some season, Bibby always makes every damn contested shot against us and Floppy Valde can draw two wasy offensive from Yao in the first quarter. We can not let this happen again.

However, my honest prediction is that we lose 1-4. :-((

4. Asian Sensation

Have some confidence PXZ. I think the X-factor in this series is Jim Jackson. If he can control Peja and play hard like he usually does we will be fine. I just have a great feeling about the playoffs cause its the first time for so many of them and the playoffs is where players become Superstars and I can assure Steve Francis has something to prove as does Yao and Mobley but especially Mo taylor. Mo knows we paid him big time and I know he's the type of player that wants to come through.

5. fa7999

fa7999 Member

It seems unfair. Why JVG indicates that we need Yao to play 40 min to have a chance to win, while not saying that we need SF3 to play 40+ min and at his best for us to have a chance? JVG a YOF?:rolleyes:

6. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

hmm... what the hell did van gundy do then? lol

was towards the bottom of the chronicle article..

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/2504256

7. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

:confused:

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

is 40 + minutes a game realistic for YAO?

Rocket River
    Yao does be huffing hard some the middle of the second

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Game of matchups now. And nobody can match up to Yao. Rockets have the advantage in every series if they want it.

10. fa7999

fa7999 Member

11. sydmill

sydmill Member

Yao is just like Wladimir Klitschko, he is domianant from the gate but tires to the point of utter ineffectiveness. The thing is this is not going to get better as his skills progress, it will only get worse. I sincerely hope that this is a product of the Chinese National Team obligations and if so that he can jump ship, but dont think that is the case. A 22 year old man should be able to play ball for more than 30 mins when they are conditioned to do so. Yao needs to figure out a way to play with more enrgy for more minutes or we are toast (and Steve will get the blame from many of you).

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

It might just be the Lakers! tonight will decide which one it wil be.Lakers win but Kings loose then its Rockets v Lakers in the first round.

13. NBAsticker

NBAsticker Member

YAO is surely an important factor of winning playoff games for ROX. But I don't think that he could lead this team to win. Since April, he has not yet shown us that he has been ready to lead this team.

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I think Yao will bring it come playoff time...He needs rest and should probably sit out tonights game, as should Steve...

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Yes a 22 yr. old Basketball player should have better stamina. But Yao Ming is 7'6" and its very difficult to draw the same conclusions when the data and conclusions are only based upon the average Basketball Player. I also hope that Yao Ming will develop improved stamina and will learn how to pace himself for the season with the playoffs in mind.It might take several seasons for this to be effective and all the fans to be happy with him.

16. droxford

droxford Member

Some thoughts...

- How would Jim Jackson feel if we beat Sacramento in the first round?

- What will our game be like next year after we've tasted the playoffs this year for the first time?

- JVG should only give Yao 15 - 20 minutes of playing time. Keep him sharp, but don't risk injury.

- I think that maybe JVG has actually changed the starting rotation, and doesn't want to admit it. Or he's experimenting with it. His choice to use Padgett to spread the floor and provide a shooting presence may remain for the season.

-- droxford

17. sydmill

sydmill Member

yeah, but my grandmother could score on Padgett so what will Webber/Miller do to the guy?

18. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Does anybody else see the irony in this this statement from Yao?
    (i.e. the guards were not dribbling the shot clock down and ignoring the low block position of Yao)

19. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

rockets are gonna swept if someone doesnt get Yao some Red Bull......

20. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

Yao played 34 mins in the Seattle game and was pretty energetic. i agree though ... 30 mins of vim, vam and vitality is better than 40 "missing in action" mins.