1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yainer Diaz Rocks!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, Jun 22, 2023.

1. pariah

pariah Member

D@mn, I thought I was intelligent. Not so. You guys are simply (far more) brilliant. I am listening now and enjoy Oasis, Wonderwall, and often choose Pearl Jam; the band.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  2. AkeemTheDreem86

Oh boy.

All you can do is cherry pick an example that proves your statement true... sometimes (fallacy of false generalization). Then, you think that repeating it makes it true (argumentum ad infinitum).

There are soooo many holes in your argument. I've pointed many of them out, and your refusal and/or inability to address them adds yet another logical fallacy to your resume (the fallacy of invincible ignorance, maybe the McNamara fallacy).

You say my points exist in the world, and so does baseball! I think the issue here is that you are thinking in the bubble of statistics, while this situation deals with people (my first point that you refuse to address). Baseball does not exist in a vacuum. You also don't know all the information that the decision maker has.

It would be a lot more fun and intellectually honest if you told me why my arguments are erroneous, instead of committing the logical fallacy of Ipse Dixit. I have shown you that respect. Why not give it a whirl?

3. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports
    Supporting Member

I have seen Pearl Jam in concert 6 times. The best was a show in Minneapolis with Pixies, but all were fantastic.

That has nothing to do with a debate about logical fallacies or Yanier Diaz, but it is a fun topic nonetheless - and whether Pearl Jam or Yanier Diaz rocks harder might indeed be a better debate than one about whether Maldy hitting a home run once proves Dusty right on that given night.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  4. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports
    Supporting Member

Stop arguing, stop throwing our terms you believe sound impressive but that you don’t really understand, and just think….

If you don’t understand why Maldonado hitting a home run does not mean Dusty was correct that night, you simply have no business participating in this discussion.

And to be clear, you didn’t assert Dusty had superior knowledge about team dynamics or any other a priori information, you simply said that the results that night definitively proved he was correct in his decision making.

That was wrong. There is nothing more to say, so I won’t say any more.

Cheers.

5. AkeemTheDreem86

After all these years, my young guitar students still yearn to learn Wonderwall.

Thank God they don't want to learn Pearl Jam :}

6. AkeemTheDreem86

Just because they were fantastic 6 times doesn't mean deciding to see Pearl Jam live is not the wrong decision 100% of the time... because I say so.

Just joshin :}

7. AkeemTheDreem86

Your fear of responding proves subtextually that it is you, in fact, who doesnt understand the words. It also implies that it is you who believes that invoking your "degrees" is somehow impressive or relevant; ironic, since you remain impotent to respond even with five of them. Appeal to authority much? Project much?

You assert your point is true 100% of the time, and that my point exists in the real world but is irrelevant to the subject of the conversation, yet are too... let's say "proud" to acknowledge that the subject of the conversation exists in the real world. Stack the deck much? Contradictory reason much?

More ironic still is that you call on me to think, yet you seem allergic to logic, which is the foundation of critical thought.

For the record, I have no interest in impressing anyone. I have been genuinely begging you to show me how I am misusing or misunderstanding these terms, of which the sole purpose being because I want to learn. Being shown how I'm wrong is my favorite because it affords me the opportunity to grow. I was hoping you would grant me that opportunity to bask in the shadow of humility, but it's clear you'd rather cast aspersions than help someone eager and asking to learn (especially your Astros brethren). As someone with a psychology degree, I don't have to tell you what that implies about your level of security, self worth, and perceived inferiority.

Can't say I didn't try. Go Astros, my mang.

8. Rockets34Legend

9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Maybe Dusty will play him someday.

Stephen66 likes this.
  10. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

Get the thank you cards ready.

11. Screaming Fist

How many starts does Diaz make in the ALDS? One maybe?

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t think he’ll start any. He could start game 4 but I would only expect that if Houston was throwing France and led the series 2-1. I would be very surprised if Diaz started any game where Framber or JV or Javier starts or any elimination game.

Stephen66 likes this.
  13. Screaming Fist

You think they will DH Brantley in each game? Not even against Joe Ryan or Ober who have reverse splits? I think you're probably right, but it doesn't make much sense to me even if Diaz has sucked at DH. Brantley is largely a mystery, imo. He's not whiffing at anything but has shown Straw-esque power so far this season.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Brantley will be in LF but if they sit Brantley then Dubon will get the start in CF moving Chas to LF.

15. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

Baseball America is doing a solid here.
    ...could be wrong, but I like to think the writers/editors over there share the same sentiments/optics re Yainer Diaz as many have here all season.

raining threes and Stephen66 like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

2023 Diaz
    2022 Pena
    2021 Garcia
    2020 Javier
    2019 Alvarez
    2017 Gurriel
    2016 Devenski
    2015 Correa
    2014 McHugh

Astros have had a ROY finalist in 9 of the last 10 years. Amazing.

18. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Cleveland was the next closest with 5 top 5 guys in the last 10 years.

19. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

But I thought our farm system couldn't do anything.

mightybosstone, rockbox, Nook and 2 others like this.
  20. Commodore

Commodore Member