1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[yahoosports]Top five shooting guards in Houston Rockets history

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 17, 2011.

?

According to the article, My fave of the 5 is

1. Clyde

111 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Mike

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. Cuttino

19 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Vernon

31 vote(s)
    18.1%
  5. Mario

7 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Where's the love for Cuttino ? The guy put up the best numbers for a guard in the history in the NBA who was drafted that low. He lived up to his potential and went beyond it, especially considering his heart condition. The guy was a good defender, probably underrated by Rockets fans, and had a great shooting touch. If it weren't for Francis who took most of the shots, Mobley would've put up even bigger numbers.

I understand the love for Max, he's one of my favorite players but truth is: he could've been the best but he was never the best. His performance in game 3 against the Suns is something he could do on a nightly basis, I really believe that. The guy was quick, had a great first step and could blow by MJ or any other great SG at the time. His defense was his strength, you could count on it on a nightly basis. Not his shot selection
    or fear of taking it to the rim. The guy never lived up to his potential because do not forget, if it weren't for his drug incident at Florida he would've been a top first round pick (5-10).

Clyde as tinman mentioned wasn't in his prime in Houston. He did put up some great numbers but I also don't consider him a Rocket. After double clutch, it all went south with Thorpe and Max gone. He will always be a Blazer to me, where he was #1

2. Chronz

Chronz Member

LOL so in time Martin may be eligible but Tmac isnt even arguable? Mac is probably listed as a 3 or not yet retired so thus not eligible

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The author of the yahoo article did not list those players.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Hence the analogy of him being more of a guard than a forward. Yes, his game was different in some aspects, but they had a very similar role on the team and brought a similar mental aspect to both of the Rockets teams they played for.

(Im pretty sure you just like to argue about anything especially any topics with the letters ACMT in them. Which in some spelling situations resembles the slogan "T-Mac")

When it comes to ranking the "best" Rockets at any position there should be 2 rankings. One with achievements and one for talent. Putting Mario Elie in the same conversation as Clyde and McGrady doesnt make any sense from a talent standpoint, but then you rank achievements and guys like Elie and Maxwell hold their own. Clyde and McGrady were superstars, thats why they go #1 and #2 to me. However, there is a far jump from #1 to #2 in Houston.

Houston has just always had teams that revolved around bigs so Id be interested to come back to this thread in 10 years to see how things changed.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

Like I said, I wouldn't put Elie on there, but I wasn't the author.

6. RealistFan

RealistFan Member

I think Drexler was the best we ever had. Although Tracy was the most talented. But talent doesn't mean much if it doesn't translate to on court impact.

I think Vernon was probably my favorite out of any of them but he just wasn't good as any of them. A better defender sure but I can remember all the times he made me scratch my head with his shot selection and how he was one of the most inefficient guys on the team. But that's eventually what made him such a fearless and clutch player. He never saw a shot he didn't like. That's why he blew up in the second half of game 3 or had so many game winners in his career. I remember game 1 of the 1995 playoffs against Utah, he almost hit a 30 foot desperation heave right after Stockton made the lay up.

Drexler was unbelievable in the 1995 playoff run. I remember when him and Dream had 40 points in the same game to starve off elimination against Utah. He really gave us another dimension to our rather predictable offense and we became a much better team in the open court. But I think Drexler declined real fast and I'll never forgive him for his play in the 1997 WCF. We should have won it all that year. Glide played really bad for the first 5 games until game 6 where he had a great game but BLEW IT with what he did on the Rockets last possession by shooting too early. That was a really bad play and I don't know why NBA TV cut it off when they replayed that game. There should have never been a Stockton three.

1 person likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

Excellent post.

You know your Rockets very well.
    [​IMG]

8. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member