1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[yahoosports]Top five shooting guards in Houston Rockets history

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 17, 2011.

?

According to the article, My fave of the 5 is

1. Clyde

111 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Mike

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. Cuttino

19 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Vernon

31 vote(s)
    18.1%
  5. Mario

7 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't write this article. But I voted for Vernon.

1 person likes this.
  3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

For once we agree!

4. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Mike Newlin, never heard him as a NBA player. I think Clyde should be top 1 among those five.

5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Wow this list shows that SG is maybe the position in Rockets history with the weakest players.

6. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Rightfully so. Only "if"... Lol.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Calvin Murphy was a SG too.

DD

8. Pass

Pass Member

[Yahoo NBA] Five NBA players who should take their acts overseas

[Yahoo NBA] Five NBA players who should take their acts overseas

Can't start threads yet, but here is a piece by Kelly Dwyer

Patrick Patterson makes the list. The gist:
    - Pat2 has a great skill-base
    - he needs to develop his low block game
    - why Europe? because no-one else plays the low-block well over there, so he can dominate and build his skillset at the same time!

"Patrick. Seek it out, my man."

9. Pass

Pass Member

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You guys seriously need a history lesson. Maybe his time with Houston was past his prime but...

1. Clyde the Glyde Drexler was arguably the 2nd best SG in the league for close to a decade in the mid 80's to the 90's. He is a legend and named as one of the top 50 players of all time.

2. McGrady might have been as talented as Clyde, but he wasnt close to being the "player" that Clyde was. Superstar potential, but never made it count in the postseason where you secure your legacy. His fault or not, legends are found in the postseason.

3. Kevin Martin... I love Kevin, but he hasnt had enough time with this franchise to figure out his legacy. Actually, the "what could have been" conversation is most interesting to me to think of Kevin Martin teaming with Yao Ming. Even more than Tracy McGrady.

Because with Yao/Martin, the offensive game works through Yao in the post and Kevin Martin would be brilliant off of the ball with Yao. Could have been one the best tandems Houston ever saw. Sad.

Kevin might team up with another superstar in Houston in the near future, and secure a legacy so Im still hoping he stays around in Houston long enough to find that out.

4. Mario Elie - clutch role player. Solid defender. Houston legend. However, still a role player. Actually played SF more than SG in the clutch city days.

5. Cutino Mobley - Excellent shooting 2 guard, sort of a poor mans Rip Hamilton. Would not be someone you could even say was your 2nd or 3rd best player. Still decent scorer, but had major deficiencies in his game.

6. Mad Max - So much to say, but I havent got the time. However, he's basically a SG version of Ron Artest. What would a team look like with Ron Artest as their best player? I love Vernon, and he was clutch, but still a role player.

11. liljojo

liljojo Member

I've always considered Tmac a SF for some reason. Never even thought about it.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

I would only make that analogy because both players were great defenders and were real .

Maxwell was a far better passer and ball handler than Ron Artest.

13. Raj Da Dodge

Raj Da Dodge Member

Interesting article, as for the SG position I'm gonna say T-Mac because he was in his prime his first couple yrs here. As for helping the city the most imma say Mario cuz of his clutch shots. But Clyde gets 3rd place for me cuz imo he's one of the best SGs of all time.

14. Raj Da Dodge

Raj Da Dodge Member

I agree w/this.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Mario didn't really have that many clutch shots, name me one besides the kiss of death.

Maxwell easily had the most clutch game winners, plus he had the one that sealed the finals. Drexler was better in the early 90s with Portland, he wasn't in his prime when he joined the Rockets.

16. Raj Da Dodge

Raj Da Dodge Member

I knew these questions would come up. one I didnt start watching Rockets/following Rockets/basketball till when I was 6-7 which was round 96-97. I was honestly basing it off of the kiss of death to be honest. two I agree w/that, never said he was in his prime here. He was his best in Portland like u said.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Elie wasn't a starter for the first championship team. They had Robert Horry at small forward, Max at 2, Kenny at 1, OT at 4 and Dream as MVP.

that's cool. here's some clips for ya.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0idEHGQFlP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ty-WW3bW55g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and the closer for game 7 in the finals
    <iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ASxTyFlLYso" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Raj Da Dodge

Raj Da Dodge Member

preciate it!

19. Raj Da Dodge

Raj Da Dodge Member

actually bout to watch the 3rd one live. the game 7 shot. got it on dvd.

20. dshay7

dshay7 Member

I voted for Vernon as well. If he doesn't take over game 3 against Phoenix in 94, then we don't win that series and go on to the championship. And if we don't win that first one, we for sure wouldn't have won in 95. Heck, we might not even have traded for Clyde at all. He might not have been the most talented (or stable) SG we've ever had. But I think he might be the most important. By far the most clutch.