1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Terrell Owens, Cowboys agree to terms...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by countingcrow, Mar 18, 2006.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cowboysowens&prov=st&type=lgns

Report: Owens, Cowboys agree to terms

March 18, 2006

DALLAS (Ticker) - Controversial standout wide receiver Terrell Owens has reached an agreement in principle with the Dallas Cowboys, according to a published report.

The Dallas Morning News, citing a pair of unidentified sources, reported Friday that Owens is expected to join the Cowboys with a formal announcement in the next few days.

Owens, 32, played just seven games with the Philadelphia Eagles last season before the club deactivated him for conduct detrimental to the team. In his second year with the team, Owens had publicly criticized numerous members of the organization, including quarterback Donovan McNabb.

Owens was not pleased with his contract and remained a constant source of news even in his inactivity. He and agent Drew Rosenhaus appeared more than once on national television to discuss the conflict with the Eagles.

Despite missing more than half the year, Owens managed 47 catches for 763 yards and six touchdowns.

Undeniably one of the finest talents in the game, Owens has caused controversy on numerous occassions in his 10-year career, the primary reason he will be joining his third team in four seasons.

Notable in his odd actions came against Dallas in 2002, when, after scoring a touchdown for the San Francisco 49ers, he sprinted to midfield and celebrated in the middle of the star at Texas Stadium.

He also has had many signature moments of a positive nature, especially in Super Bowl XXXIX when he returned from a broken leg that robbed him of the final two regular season games and two playoff contests to make nine catches for 122 yards.

A five-time Pro Bowl selection, Owens has 716 catches for 10,535 yards in 142 career games with the 49ers and Eagles.

2. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Member

it makes it really hard for me to be a cowboys fan now.

3. RC Cola

RC Cola Member

Me too. :(

It will be very hard for me to “cheer" for TO. Ugh.

4. Preston27

Preston27 Member

Wouldn't it be great if he did his celebration on the star and got wacked again?

5. Mr. Brightside

I might actually want to turn on the tv to watch a Cowboys game. (One of the few TO fans left on this planet.)

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Good luck with him Cowboys fans. At least you guys are prepared for the worst. I welcomed him as a blessing in Philly and he turned out to be a curse.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Can he celebrate on the star now? :D

Rocket RIver

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Good question.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

This is indeed great news for Cowboy fans.

[​IMG]

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yeah that's gonna end well.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

I do think Parcells will be able to keep him in line.

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

Jerry Jones is a p***y.

13. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

One more reason to hate Dallas teams.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

Yea but it's going to make the Philly and Dallas rivalry explode. It will be fun watching how this all unfolds. On the one hand, I want to condemn Jerry for this move. However, if it works out, then he will look like a freaking genius and all the TO haters will turn the corner...even the many Cowboy fans who hate him because of the "star" incidents. I do, however, feel Jerry has compromised the integrity of the Cowboys but the Cowboys have a history of compromised integrity with a lot of players involved in bad stuff. This isn't about the moral high ground...it's about winning, creating some buzz, and selling tickets. Like many of you have said, I think Jerry expects TO to behave and Bill to keep him in line.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

When you have the chance to grab the BEST WR in the game and you have a coach like Parcells who can control players with bad attitudes (Keyshawn, Glenn) you have to make the move.

When TO is racking up 1500 yards and 15 Tds and putting the Cowboys into the NFC championship game (minimum) all will be forgiven.

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

I agree with Surfguy. The rivalry will be much more exciting this year and create a buzz around the Dallas team and will definitely help Jones make more money. I think there is a slight chance that Owens has learned his lesson, I mean he just missed out on $7.5 million in bonuses plus part of his base salary last year and I believe he was due another $2 million bonus later this year from the Eagles. Because of his attitude and actions last year he has missed out on almost $10 million so maybe, just maybe, he realizes it can't always go his way and he can't always get want he wants and sometimes he will lose...BIG TIME. Maybe that is enough to keep him in line.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

wow i cant beileve it. wonder how this will work out. i wonder what bledsoe is thinking right now???haha

18. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Yeah he is able to control Glenn and Johnson but I don't think they are in the same league as Owens as far as attitudes are concerned. I don't think it will be Parcells keeping Owens in line it will be the money he lost this year and the threat of losing money from acting up again. Jones had to be an idiot if he did not make Owens sign an incentive laced deal and I am sure there are clauses abound that will keep Owens in line or he loses money.

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

20. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Member

question is, can bledsoe keep TO in check in game.