1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo Sports Twitter] Pistons trade rights to Chase Budinger to Rockets.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I like the pickup.

Dude can ball and shoot and working with our coaches and players should help his D.

I hope we keep him.

2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Still, I am the one who is dubious. Budinger holds promise as a backup SG, but his lack of lateral foot speed will keep him on the bench. The Spanish point guard will be kept in Europe while we do another Badiane-style wait and watch. Taylor can only use his right hand and has less shooting discipline than Von Wafer.

Even if they are all relative successes, we still have done nothing to address our backup center (and possibly starting center if Yao doesn't heal) and height problems. I have hope that Morey is not done, but my optimism is ebbing.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

My gut feeling is that he'll end up being traded. Timid? Not a good defender? Doesn't sound like a Rockets player at all.

And make no mistake, teams were scared of him after what happened with Joe Alexander last season.

Jermaine Taylor sounds like he could be that next diamond in the rough Morey has proved so adept at unearthing.

4. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Do we know for certain he has poor shooting discipline? I mean the guy was head and shoulders above the rest of UCF so he shot a lot, and made a lot.

26 ppg on 48 percent shooting doesn't scream bad shooting discipline, but then again I've never seen game film.

5. worzel gummidge

It's sounding like these are T-Mac's replacements. That is, Rockets aren't trading McGrady or can't find a taker. So McGrady will stay on the inactive list while these guys play instead.
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6498343.html

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

There were maybe 2 centers in the whole draft that could help this team and none in the 2nd round. The C help will come through a trade, FA; probably the MLE.

Dorsey might get over the plantar faciitis and be something like he was in college. He could match up defensively with the Stoudemires and Howards and Bynums we will have to play.

Still want Amare though.

7. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Is Taylor > Wafer
    Is Budinger > Barry

?

Hmmm, I think these are just risk picks that might turn out but most likely these guys will not become starters...

Best scenario is one of them really comes on strong and plays better minutes than Von Wafer and Brent Barry, that is a small upgrade to the team.

Unless Morey is genious and one of them becomes a starter with star quality minutes.

That would be a shocker.

We still need TMac and Yao insurance.
    We need a back up center and a starting 2 guard

Waiting for the next move, tick, tick, tick

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If alexander could do any of those things u mentioned, he must couldn't do them against playerrs. The bucks lost redd early and was going no where and the 20 games I watched, I saw a lotto pick that couldn't get seperation. In the nba, the good players are explosive in small spaces. Peja was a 6'9 version of reggie miller. He could shoot over people and was quick in small spaces. Go watch peja tapes in 2000 or so and u will see a guy who used to kill players deefending him.

9. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

oops, make that Morey is a genius!

10. spressa

spressa Member

god, i'm so happy we got chase. i've watched this kid since the mcdonalds all star game....i think he has so much potential. good going rockets

11. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

When you have an explosive first step, which he most certainly does, you always get the first degree of separation. But what happens after that all depends on your separation skills (which includes ball handling) and lowering your center of gravity. Its not necessarily about quickness if you have an explosive first step. Joe has more than adequate foot speed to take opponents off the dribble but its his high center of gravity and lack of sound ball handling skills to maneveur around the defender.

There were many times last year (yes I watched some Bucks game online too) where he obviously had the advantage off the dribble and managed to get past his opponent, but due to his high center of gravity, he wasn't able to fully utilize his explosiveness, AND also mainly due to the fact that he just PLAIN DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO FINISH IN THE NBA. That was evident. The guy just looked LOST offensively and defensively (even worse). The guy has decent foot speed, but its his high center of gravity and stiff hips that limits him defensively.

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

watching Chase play a lot of pac-10 ball I am quite pleased that the Rockets were able to pick him up for virtually nothing in terms of basketball assets.

I think he can be a legit backup SF in the league and I do believe that he can get better, he isnt going to be a starter or big time player but I think he will be a solid NBA player for years.

And for him to drop soo low you know he is going to be working his ass off to prove everyone wrong

13. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Are we still talkin about Budinger?

14. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Budinger looks a little like Jake Busey.

15. AB#0

AB#0 Member

Or Asher Roth.

16. Egghead

Egghead Member

All scouts are saying we got one of the steals of the draft in Budinger.....

17. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Or Layne Staley

18. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Ha Ha! Thats what I thought!

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Or Hunter Pence with a rat goatee

potential upside: Luke Walton?

20. Egghead

Egghead Member

I think a best he can be a Jason Richardson/Rudy Fernandez mix, plays more like Rudy Fernandez at this point in his career.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.