1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo Sports Twitter] Pistons trade rights to Chase Budinger to Rockets.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

well when Morey was asked if he read forums he did say he tries to read everything...i'm sure he's been on here before, you can't get any better when it comes to a rockets' forum and he may get new ideas from reading stuff on here......i wouldn't be surprised if most of the players checked in as well....wouldn't be surprised if one or two actually signed up just to troll the place

2. Egghead

Egghead Member

here is a great read for everyone....

What Happened to Chase Budinger?

June 25, 2009 9:51 AM

At some point in the third or fourth hour of tonight's draft, you'll hear the name "Chase Budinger" announced -- quite possibly by Adam Silver, who usually presides over the second round. As recently as a year ago, Budinger was projected as a possible lottery pick. In his first two years Arizona, Budinger averaged 16.4 points and 5.6 rebounds per game. But his fortunes as a prospect slipped during his junior campaign. CelticsHub's Bryan Roy has covered the Wildcats for The Daily Wildcat over the past couple of seasons. He filed this report for TrueHoop on Budinger's strange tenure in Tucson.

Chase BudingerChase Budinger: A long and winding road.
    (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)
    If your fantasy basketball league required every team to draft a crossbreed of Larry Bird and Napoleon Dynamite, your man is Chase Budinger, soon-to-be rookie from Arizona.

Think Brendan Fraser in "Bedazzled.” The light-blond, lighter-skinned wing from Encinitas, Calif., looks like the ideal demographic for tetherball, Irish pubs and SPF 150 sunscreen.

Arizona's hot, dry desert sun did all it could to burn Budinger. From all the off-court uncertainties of Lute Olson's retirement, to the promising Wildcats that transferred or ripped up signed Letters of Intent - the appearance of these past three years weren't exactly Arizona's prettiest era for Budinger to showcase his upside.

In terms of athletic ability, the 6-foot-7 departing Wildcat was once described as the LeBron James of volleyball after a high school career that, had he kept playing, could have put him on USA Olympic team in 2008.

Instead, Budinger opted to pursue basketball for Lute Olson, who called Budinger the most talented athlete he ever coached. Coming from the Founder, Director and CEO of Point Guard U, the bar was sky-high. But these were his realistic and most basic goals to complete before the NBA came calling:

1) Beat his home state powerhouse UCLA.
    2) Make a deep NCAA Tournament run.
    3) Hone his raw athletic ability into NBA-ready talent.

Budinger arrived at Arizona surrounded by the modern-day Five Star Freshman Hype Hoopla. Fans anticipated that Budinger would restore the pre-2005 brand of Arizona basketball and eliminate the funk of underachieving, low-character players. (Related story: Marcus Williams and Mustafa Shakur both left for the NBA and graduated, respectively, after the 2006-2007 season.)

After individually satisfying freshman and sophomore seasons - he averaged 16.4 points and 5.6 rebounds per game as an underclassman - Budinger's team goals still left an empty pit in a hungry Wildcat Faithful's collective stomach. From 2006-2008, the Wildcats had:

1) Been embarrassed by UCLA (0-4 vs. the Bruins).
    2) Lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament (both times).
    3) Not seen Budinger lead them when it mattered most.

Fans wondered when Big-Game Budinger would arrive on campus. By 2009, the No. 34 Budinger jerseys were destined to hit the UA Bookstore's clearance rack regardless of his decision to turn pro this summer. The shot clock of expectations expired.

A senior season for Budinger would've meant the McDonald's All-American (he earned co-MVP honors with Kevin Durant) lost ground during his junior campaign. In the star-studded 2008 NBA Draft, projections listed Budinger as a late first-round to early second-round selection. A significantly weaker 2009 Draft meant Budinger could've just tread water and still moved up in the rankings.

There wasn't much water in the desert to tread. By his junior year, Arizona needed (and expected) Budinger to step up both as a leader and dominant force in the Pac-10 if it wanted any hope at continuing the school's most coveted statistic of 25 straight NCAA Tournament appearances.

Our first glimpse of it came after Arizona's embarrassing loss to UAB. After Jamelle Horne Superman-dove to commit a foul at halfcourt in a tie game with seconds left in regulation, the mood in the locker room was uncomfortably somber. Reporters pretended to scribble down notes and avoid eye contact while players showered and shot blank stares into the trophies along wall.

After Horne came out of the shower, a few of us headed over to ask: What the hell were you thinking? (He later said it was a miscommunication). Budinger, who watched the entire scene unfold, quickly told us to back off. It wasn't anything rude or out of line, Budinger just took a big brother role to Horne, a sophomore visually upset with unthinkable foul.

It showed a lot of guts and spoke volumes on Budinger's unspoken leadership part, I wrote the next day. Just like that, he became the guy that glued together a wounded and abandoned 2008-09 team that was "rocked to the core” after Olson suddenly retired days before the season.

Midway through the season, however, once Budinger suffered through his Second Annual "Where's Chase?” Midseason Shooting Slump when he averaged 10.5 points in a four-game span, fans couldn't help but wake up in a cold sweat, recalling recent Wildcats that derailed into the same trend. Those five-star high school recruits that never blossomed became weeds after four very, very dry years in the scorching desert.

Can't say I've seen anybody on campus wearing a Shakur jersey, or be willing to spend $75 on one.

Had the Budinger III failed, maybe you could give the kid a free pass from an obvious scapegoat: Arizona's brilliant back-to-back interim head coaches strategy. It's a sure-fire way to stun the growth and development of 18-year-old AAU phenoms that, in turn, develop everything but team leadership.

Then, all those what-ifs evaporated when Aubrey Coleman came to town and earned himself a future Christmas Card from the Budinger family.

The infamous Coleman Face Stomp 2009 broke Budinger out of his soft-spoken shell. After Houston's go-to guy slammed his foot into Budinger's courtside face after the whistle, Budinger sprung up with Mike Tyson-esque fury and fire.

Later that game, with under one minute to play, Arizona overcame a 10-point deficit to win in overtime. The pivotal (literally, Coleman planted his pivot foot into Budinger's left temple) moment saved the Wildcats' season, started an seven-game winning streak and put Arizona on the national radar for good reasons.

Budinger's decision to return for his junior season paid dividends. Sure we saw him put up lines like 20, 10, and five against teams like Oregon State, but it was his 20 points, eight rebounds and four steals against No. 5-seeded Utah in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament solidified his legacy at Arizona -- or at least, avoided a negative one. The Sweet 16 banner that gets raised into the McKale Center rafters will have Budinger's finger prints all over it.

After an exhausting three-year span of Olson, Kevin O'Neill and Russ Pennell, Budinger enters his second go-around of the summer pre-Draft workouts with his trifecta:

1) Killing UCLA at home. (84-72 win)
    2) Reaching the Sweet 16 after barely earning an at-large bid (No. 10 seed).
    3) Developing the crucial mental game in pressure situations.

Beyond his final junior year line -- 18.0 points, 6.2 rebounds in 37.6 minutes per game -- Budinger picked up a missing intangible that would've set his professional ceiling at "D-League All-Star” if he hadn't returned to Arizona and met those goals after his sophomore season.

I'm no professional scout or basketball talent expert, but it's obvious that the mental part of Budinger's game was his missing component after watching two full seasons of his style. He needs confidence to knock down his jump shots.

His ballhandling skills are much improved. Budinger can use his length and ups as an oversized 2 or 3 in the NBA. Most importantly, he can use Arizona's adversities when the don't-take-it-personal business deals go through at the professional level.

It's been a crazy three years, symbolically parallel to a signature Arizona pool party, where students (yes of course, that includes athletes) have always showed off bronze bodies in the No. 34 jersey. Soon, a new Budinger jersey will once again be on "new items” rack. And that's something fans can be excited about.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-41-145/What-Happened-to-Chase-Budinger-.html

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

"He can be like our Trevor Ariza"

4. Egghead

Egghead Member

Good read again..............

Tough world of NBA awaits Budinger
    By Mick McGrane, Union-Tribune Staff Writer

2:00 a.m. June 25, 2009

Chase Budinger from La Costa Canyon High is expected to be a first-round pick tonight in the NBA draft. (Getty Images)
    CHASE BUDINGER FILE

Height: 6-7

Weight: 206

Position: Shooting guard

High school: La Costa Canyon

College: Arizona. In 100 games over three seasons, Budinger shot 47 percent from the field, 38.3 percent from three-point range and 78.6 from the free-throw line. He averaged 17.0 points, 5.8 rebounds and 2.8 assists.

Projection: Most mock drafts have Budinger being selected in the second half of the first round.

Everyone has their weakness. Superman's is kryptonite. Samson's was a barber. Eddie Mathews, who hit 512 home runs and was said by Ty Cobb to possess the perfect swing, has been quoted as saying he couldn't hit a curveball.

Chase Budinger can trade baskets with anyone. NBA scouts, meanwhile, seem more concerned with his ability to trade punches. Among the comments from various draft Web sites:

“Lacks a mean streak. Needs to work on becoming nastier and developing a killer instinct.”

“Tries to avoid contact, doesn't always respond to physical play.”

“Very soft on both ends of the floor.”

And he's more than a little fed up with those who suggest he'd plead for mercy in the midst of a pillow fight.

“It gets on my nerves,” said Budinger, the former La Costa Canyon High and Arizona standout who is expected to be selected in the first round of tonight's NBA draft. “It was a label I got during my freshman year (at Arizona) and it just seemed to stick with me. A lot of teams have asked about it.

“But I think I've gotten tougher each year, and I did everything I could to show that to teams in this transition period during summer league. I've been tough, I've been aggressive, played hard on defense and tried to show that I'm not going to shy away (from contact), that the 'lack of toughness' label isn't really the kind of player I am.”

Particularly when someone plants a Nike on his nose, as Houston's Aubrey Coleman did when he stepped on Budinger's face after drawing a charging call during a game in Tucson last season. Coleman was ejected and Budinger drew a technical foul for retaliating. Some say the altercation fueled a fire previously unseen in Budinger, one that helped jump-start a subsequent seven-game winning streak.

“Everyone jokes about how, after the Houston game, that changed the team,” Budinger's agent, Kevin Bradbury, told the Arizona Daily Star. “But I think it changed for (Budinger), too. He decided he was going to be a leader.

“His toughness shows through in certain situations. At the end of games, he just took over. That's where he helped himself by coming back to school.”

The 6-foot-7 Budinger, who is leaving Arizona as a junior, tested the NBA waters a year ago but opted to return to school to continue refining his game under the tutelage of longtime Wildcats coach Lute Olson. Olson retired before the season started, but Budinger still turned in a strong season, averaging 18 points, 6.2 rebounds and 3.4 assists at Arizona, which endured a roller-coaster regular season before reaching the NCAA Tournament's Sweet 16.

Now it appears he will become just the fifth San Diego County product selected in the first round of the NBA draft, following Bill Walton (Helix, 1974), Cliff Levingston (Morse, 1982), Scot Pollard (Torrey Pines, 1997) and Jared Dudley (Horizon, 2007).

“I'm much more ready than I was last year,” he said. “I'm more mature, and I feel like I'm a lot stronger mentally and physically in being prepared to play at the next level.

“Last year, I wasn't really sure myself of being able to make it (in the NBA), but now I'm 100 percent confident that I'm going to be able to play in this league.”

So does ESPN analyst Jay Bilas, though Bilas says the criticisms concerning Budinger's toughness, his leadership skills and defensive focus are not unwarranted.

“They are deficiencies,” Bilas said. “That's not to say he's not tough, but I do question how tough. I had an NBA guy tell me years ago, 'Don't be seduced by athleticism.' Chase is a very good talent. He can really shoot it. He's got very good rise and he's a very good athlete, but having seen him play, I would have to say he's a jump-shooter more than a guy who is willing to put it on the deck and drive into a crowd.

“That doesn't mean he can't be better. The reputation he's gotten about his lack of toughness has been earned. It's not like people are making this up. But it doesn't mean it can't be overcome. He's going to have to answer some challenges at this level, but he's shown he's capable of answering most of the challenges that have been thrown his way.”

5. AB#0

AB#0 Member

Defense is one of his weakness.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Wafer is a much better prospect than chase. Hell, white is probably a better one also. When ur a linear athlete like budinger and alexander, u will struggle to get seperation. If all it was to it is running and jumping in a straight line, then chase would be great.

7. langal

langal Contributing Member

I know where you're coming from, but I don't think his athleticsm is that one-dimensional. Moreso that his hops overshadows everything else.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=2009&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&sort=13

According to these numbers, he has more going for him than just the hops. Maybe on the lower side compared to SG prospects, but on the plus side with the SF.

I think this is a great value considering the cost.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow! Taylor has the highest no-step vertical of anyone on that list. The guy shouldn't have any trouble getting his shot off.

9. RocketLegend34

Same thing i was thinking

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, because not being black sure hurt the draft position of Yao Ming and Andrew Bogut. :rolleyes:

11. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Seems like more of a poor man's Reggie Miller with his off the screen 3pt shots. People draw way too many comparisons based on ethnicity.

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

This guy is like an average man's Kurt Nimphius.

13. Chamillionaire

i'd be surprised if he cracks the rotation to be honest.

14. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Sounds like an up and coming Dirk Nowiski ( doesnt play a lick of D) type player to me LOL.... :D

15. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

I agree. Taylor would have a better chance of making it to the line up. Chase would be sent to the NBDL and it would be best for him rather then stay with the team on the inactive list.

16. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

What an optimist. Considering what the Spurs, Magic and others were able to accomplish with trades, I'd be surprised if Morey shows his face today.

So far this season, we should change his trademark to "In Morey We Rust."

17. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

There are plenty of players out there who aren't particularly explosive and limited on defense, yet are or have been still relatively successful.

As for Joe Alexander, he is a better athlete than Chase in that he CAN create pretty separation off the bounce because HE HAS AN EXPLOSIVE FIRST STEP, unlike Chase. But the problem is that even though he might have the first step on his defender, he lacks the change of direction skills to fully separate.

Players that come to mind:
    David West (a hybrid forward who is not quick enough to guard some of the quicker perimeter players)

Peja Strojakavic (sp?)-not particularly athletic and hardly quick enough.

Wally Szerbiak

18. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Yep. It's our human rights duty to root for minority players in the NBA.

19. RyanB

RyanB Member

of course!Morey is smart :)
    i'm expectin a Chandler-Hamilton package ;)

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Morey cherry-picked the second round using only money. Exactly what he said he would do. All 3 of these pick-ups have the potential to exceed their draft position and if they don't they get cut or stored. It looks exactly like the low risk/ high potential return moves of Moreyball.

If nothing else, Taylor and Budinger will tear up the summer league in scoring and give us something to cheer about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.