1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Yahoo Sports Twitter] Pistons trade rights to Chase Budinger to Rockets.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Egghead

Egghead Member

2. Raven

Raven Member

Scouts say his lack of lateral quickness could be a huge defensive liability. I wonder if that will reduce him to designated shooter status?

3. Egghead

Egghead Member

I think he can work a whole lot on his lateral quickness... with Ron and Shane on the team a little pep talk will get him to play defense

4. dab8709

dab8709 Member

How the hell can you compare a 2/3 who wins dunk contests and shoots the three pretty well to Hansborough? The only thing they've got in common is that they're both white.

5. uchlha

uchlha Member

nice first post lol

6. Egghead

Egghead Member

welcome to Clutchfans!

7. Egghead

Egghead Member

via realgm

Rockets: I think Daryl Morey's advanced statistical measurements works much better for players that have logged NBA minutes than collegiate or foreign players, but I have a lot of faith in the way they evaluate talent across the board.

Taylor looked like a late second round player to me, but he is a good scorer in transition with good athleticism, so he could quite easily fill that Von Wafter type of roll for them. He isn't the most confident player in the world, though he did average 26.2 points per game.

Sergio Llull has some potential at point guard and is agile and athletic, but I don't see anything special in his skills to warrant the 34th pick.

Chase Budinger was thought of by many as a lottery pick as a freshman and now he goes 44th in a supposedly weak draft; Thursday must have been a difficult night for a guy who was the third banana of the McDonald's All-America Game that featured Greg Oden and Kevin Durant. I think he's a victim of playing for three coaches in three years, and an unrealistic set of expectations. Joe Alexander went 8th overall last year and there is not 36 picks separating those two players. He is a very good athlete despite the short arms and is also a really good shooter. Budinger can also handle the ball a little bit, so Houston is a great fit for him and he should stick.

Grade: B-

http://www.realgm.com/src_feature_pieces/802/20090626/realgm\s_draft_grades_for_2009/

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Take it with a grain of salt. The person doing the analysis also predicted that Beasley will have a better rookie season than Kevin Durant :rolleyes:

9. worzel gummidge

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If Yao is drawing double teams and kicking it back out, a "pure' shooter becomes invaluable. A shooter than can also see a seams to hole and take it strong when it's there could be golden. Taking a 40" vertical leaps from just inside the foul line will get you a ton of foul shots.

As always with rookies you can't tell what's between the ears and how big their hearts are until they get their chance but I see some star qualities in Budinger. Qualities I didn't necessarily see in our past overhyped rookies.

11. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

12. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Man Chase sure does get hit in the face a lot.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

amazing this guy was still there at 44.

He probable wont be an allstar by any means, but the guy is highly skilled and is certainly going to contribute.

He has some flaws he needs to work on, but still a very good pick.

Go Cats!

14. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Can we compare him with Marco Belinelli? Both are athletic and sharp shooters. If Budinger can be as good as Belinelli, it would be a steal.

15. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

considering most 2nd rounders dont even make a team, budinger has a good shot. you guys are acting like we took him with a first round pick.

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

As someone who watched him a lot...

--He certainly brings out grey areas in the word "great athlete". He really does have a great 1st step & elevation. This makes his athletic attributes pretty effectively offensively. That said his lateral quickness, strength and defensive instincts are average at best (for an NBA prospect). So in general I would say he is a great athlete--but he has noticable weakness particular to some basketball athletic skills sets.

--I think "timid" is too harsh. I think his instincts are of a role player, not a leader. But in the pros as a 2nd rounder this might be fine, all he is going to be asked of is to play off the leaders. Hustle, run the floor, hit the open shot, do what is taught--he can do this well. I think the expectation was at times he would be relentless and carry a (college) team on his back--and he was hit an miss with that.

--By all accounts he is a very good kid and very hard worker. For instance I think after his fresh year he decided to spend much of it with an elite athletic trainer who held Southern California beach style athletic boot camps (I think to work on his strength, stamina, and quickness). Thus I think he took on his weaknesses and was trying to improve.

--I would say he is a smart basketball player with great range. I won't say his instincts are great, but he can execute. And on the range thing, often he was just as good at a 24 footer as a 21 footer, with him it is more about being open and rythum--those 3 feet don't make much difference for him. That helps his NBA prospects.

OVERALL. I used to think the team drafting him was going to be disappointed. But that was because he was projected as a late lotto--where the expectation of him being more than a role player would be there. But as a mid second round pick, he is a steal. He is 21 (his physical strength and personal attributes could change), and there is a lot of upside. He has a much better chance than most mid 2nd rounders for finding a steady role in the NBA.

1 person likes this.
  17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Thanks for your insight. It's a good, solid move for the Rockets.

18. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

I hope so, he sure does look like he can hoop.

19. Egghead

Egghead Member

20. langal

langal Contributing Member

Don't you know anything about basketball (or sports in general)?

You can only compare white guys with other white guys. Even if they aren't anything alike and play totally different positions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.