1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Trading Sengun? Stop me if you've heard me talk about this one. We're talking #Rockets LIVE right now ...

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Yahoo Sports] Memphis reportedly shopping Rudy Gay

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by djohn2o12, Jan 22, 2010.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Any package involving Battier or Ariza plus not much else (at most, adding a player like Budinger) for Gay is a no brainer.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I think a max contract in any capacity is too much for just a numbers guy like Gay. Maybe he'll "get it", maybe he won't but I really don't think he's a big enough competitor or two-way player to carry a winning team. Right now, he's worth about $10M per year (Gerald Wallace, Luol Deng, Caron Butler type money) -- roughly the amount of the 5 year/$50M extension that his agent wanted and that Memphis supposedly turned down. I'm sure you're much more familiar with the failed contract negotiations than I am, but I read that he and his agent basically said "5 years/$50M will get it done" and Memphis balked. For everybody's sake involved, I hope that's not the case but then again I find nothing out of the question when we're dealing with somebody like Heisley.

Your my boy too but i'm gonna have to call you out on this one. I need you to find me the rule that prohibits this. If what I am reading is correct the salary floor for this season is 75% of the salary cap -OR- $43.275M. Going by Heisley's own words, he has stated his plans to operate below the $50M mark.

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I agree with you on this one. Its all about negotiations and posturing. He turned it down, but i don't think anyone will offer more than that. If they do, sign and trade. It would also help if they can find a taker for jaric and his 7m on the books.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Next summer I think a team will offer him more than $10MM/yr.

What would the Grizzlies want in a sign and trade? IMO, if they won't pay Gay $10MM+/yr, they won't want to sign and trade him for the same amount salary in return.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

You can ALWAYS take back less salary in trades. Most likely, if the Griz sign-and-trade Gay, it will be to a team that is under the cap, so salary matching likely won't be an issue.