1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yahoo Sports: Kubiak says Sherman mulling coaching future

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...ubYF?slug=ap-texans-sherman&prov=ap&type=lgns

February 10, 2006

HOUSTON (AP) -- Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak said Friday that Mike Sherman will decide "over the next three or four days" whether he'll coach next season -- and possibly join the Texans' staff.

"Mike's going to make a decision over the next three or four days whether he wants to come back and coach this season," Kubiak said. "I'm hoping to be the first one to know that, so I'll let you guys know Monday."

Sherman was fired as Green Bay's coach on Jan. 2 after the Packers went 4-12. He interviewed for the coaching vacancies in Buffalo and with the New York Jets and declined offers to become the offensive coordinator in both places.

Kubiak, who replaced fired coach Dom Capers in Houston on Jan. 26, worked with Sherman on R.C. Slocum's staff at Texas A&M in 1992-93.

Kubiak said he is "95 percent done" assembling his new staff. He is still looking for an assistant defensive line coach.

Kubiak was tightlipped about how close Sherman was to joining him in Houston.

"As far as Mike goes," Kubiak said, "I think everybody knows I have a tremendous relationship with Mike."

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

nWo34Life with our daily Mike Sherman update. :)

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

And an update to the Sherman hiring:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3657439.html

Texans near deal with Sherman
    Ex-Packers coach could join team as early as today

By MEGAN MANFULL
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The Texans welcomed former Green Bay Packers head coach Mike Sherman into their offices on Monday. They plan to welcome him officially onto the staff as soon as today.

Sherman, 51, arrived in the late afternoon and immediately met with new Texans coach Gary Kubiak. Much of the night was spent negotiating a deal with Sherman. As soon as a contract is done, Sherman will be named the Texans' assistant head coach/offense. He will oversee the offensive line with line coach John Benton.

The Texans are withholding an announcement until the contract has been signed. Sherman was unavailable for comment.

Sherman is expected to be introduced, along with Kubiak's entire coaching staff, during a press conference Wednesday.

This will be Sherman's first job as an assistant in the NFL since 1999, when he was Seattle's offensive coordinator. The next year, he was named the Packers head coach.

Sherman hasn't coached an offensive line in the NFL, but he was a line coach for Texas A&M when Kubiak was the Aggies' running backs coach. The two worked together in 1992 and 1993 in College Station, before Kubiak left to join the San Francisco 49ers' staff.

Led by Kubiak's experience as an offensive coordinator for the past 11 years, the Texans' staff will work to improve an offense that has ranked among the three worst in the NFL during three of its first four seasons.

Last season, the Texans ranked 30th out of 32 teams, averaging 253.3 yards per game. They ranked 30th in the passing game (125.1 yards per game) and 15th in rushing (113.5).

In his first five seasons as the Packers' coach, Sherman posted a 53-27 record, which tied him with Steelers coach Bill Cowher for fifth among NFL coaches in their first 80 games. Sherman finished 57-39 in six seasons.

He led the Packers to the playoffs four times and three division titles but a 4-12 record in 2005. After it ended, Sherman was fired.

The Texans hope he can bring some guidance, especially to an offensive line that has struggled for four seasons. Quarterback David Carr has been the most sacked quarterback in the league three of the last four years. Carr also holds the NFL record for being sacked the most times in a single season (76 set in 2002).

Carr was sacked 68 times in 2005 as the Texans' finished with 2-14, worst in the league. With better coaching and new protection schemes, the Texans hope to make giant leaps on their offensive line.

The coaching staff has been spending most of its days in meetings.

Kubiak and his assistants are working on schemes, evaluating talent and preparing for the scouting combine Feb. 22-28 in Indianapolis.

megan.manfull@chron.com

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

nWo34Life with our daily Mike Sherman update, take 2... :) What's up man, we need to plan a meeting in Dallas, maybe the All-star game or in March, we play Dallas twice...

I have a question...Wouldn't Sherman, who was just a head coach, want to be an OC...I mean, i know he has the title asst. hc/line coach, but wouldn't your ego come in and say, man, I know I can coach better than these newbies...Just a thought...