1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo Sports] Kelly Dwyer's top Unrestricted FA list (Wafer #4)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 22, 2009.

1. TimBly15

TimBly15 Member

Powe would be a nice fit even though we have a lot of PF's

2. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

Bring Wafer back and I will be happy with our team headed into next season, for sure.

3. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I think Wafer's ability to get to the rim is something that this team needs. If we can have a couple of guys that are constantly looking to attack the rim then we are better off. The second unit of Lowry, Wafer, and Landry did that last year and it was great to watch. No settling for bad jump shots and we got to the free throw line. I would love to see these three running again next year.

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

For all the people giving Powe love, I like the guy off the bench for a contending team, but he would not fit in here....not with this band-aid bunch.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i still think von ends up resigning here.

he hasn't gotten the offers he wants, and i think if the money is the same he'd rather stay here. especially with yao, tmac, and ron out of the way, he would score 18ppg.

6. Raven

Raven Member

I do find it interesting that no team has snatched him up. I guess, even in professional sports, some actions have consequences.

7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Well you also have to look at his past...

He had one good year, but all you hear about is the Lakers incident..

GM's talk also

8. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

i like wafer's game.

more than anything i like that he is pretty explosive on his drives to the hoop. and a pretty good shooter too. a team can never have enough of that.

at this point i say we resign him. he could be a pretty good shooting guard for us.

WE NEED SCORERS people!

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

walking out on your team in a playoff game... in the second round no less. it doesn't surprise me that the winning teams haven't made any offers to him. and after coming off of his only good season during a contract year, most teams are going to be weary about committing years or money to him.

at the end of the summer, i doubt anyone would've made a higher offer than what the rockets have left of the MLE (about $1.5M i think), and no one is giving him a long term contract. if morey waits until late august and gives him an offer of $1.5M per year for 2 years with a team option for a 3rd i think he takes it.

10. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Not surprising to see Timberwovles or warriors going after him. 1 needs a PG and another have a coach that loves shooting.

Talking of warriors, whats the chance of a SnT package sending Wafer for Morrow.

11. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

edit.

Not surprising to see Timberwovles or warriors going after him. 1 needs a SG and another have a coach that loves shooting.

Talking of warriors, whats the chance of a SnT package sending Wafer for Morrow.

12. rocket3forlife2

Ronald Murry<<<<Rafers Jock Strap

Ronald Murry LOL

13. rocket3forlife2

I meant to say Ronald <<<< Wafer

14. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Don't you mean Shane and Budinger? Chase outclasses Taylor in every category, except of course that he is a white player. Taylor had trouble in the summer league -- and will have even more difficulty in the real NBA -- because he can't dribble (go left) with his left hand. He's a 15th player kind of guy.

There's a plethora of shooting guards I would prefer, but right now IMO Chase is the best of our uninjured SG options who is currently a Rocket.

Here's to Bill and Clyde (I wish it were Calvin) glorifying his baskets as "Bud Dingers!"

#34 thumbs, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Regarding available FA centers, Kelly didn't mention Chris Mihm or Johan Petro, perhaps for a reason. IMO we won't have enough money to outbid Toronto for Rasho Nesterovic, so these are the leftovers for which we have a chance to sign. Mihm is probably the better short term choice, but I do like the athleticism Petro brings to the table.

16. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I am wondering, why? Flip also had a good year where he proved to be an capable scorer (you could easily argue that he had a better season than Wafer). Came off the Hawks bench (a team tht also made the second round tho in a weaker conference). And like Wafer, did not bring much else to the table. Like Wafer, no NBA-team is willing to throw more than a minimum contract as they are one-dimensional and known to have attitude problems.

Wafer is a little bit bigger and younger. But what makes him that much greater?

17. Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob Member

I'll take Wafer's potential. This was his first season to see a significant amount of playing time in the league.

Murray does have the slight edge statistically, but Wafer's 6 years younger, and has plenty of room to develop and mature.

If we are in a semi-rebuilding mode, as many believe, than why not take Wafer, the promising, young, uber-athletic guard?

18. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

The same thing that people claim makes Ariza better than Artest. If swapping those two players was a good move because of the age difference, how does it make sense to sign Flip over Von? Murray is older than Artest, and Wafer is younger than Ariza.

19. paul g

paul g Contributing Member

Lets go for Joe Smith. 6'10 Class act. Consistent

20. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I actually don't even think it is that. More then likely, despite being hot over here with the Houston fanbase, Wafer's skill set isn't that impressive for the money he and his people are asking for.

Not to mention everyone and their mama's are all trying tot make it look like they can do something in 2010 and as good as Wafer is, there is a reason he hasn't found a home before landing on the Houston bench.