1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo! Sports] Ex-Laker's Huge Blunder

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ShutURBiG!, Jul 3, 2009.

1. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-artestkobe070309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I think this is downright outrageous. When we blew out the Lakers in the playoffs, it was all of our "lottery" players doing the work, because Ron Artest barely contributed.

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Houston doesn't get respect, but to all holy hell we respect our players.

Good luck Lakers, I'll be busy rooting for LeBron.

3. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

I have a good feeling Artest will be a cancer to the Lakers. There is NO WAY his playing style fits with them.

4. Strawman

Strawman Member

ROFLROFLROFL

Artest is hitting his 30's too fool.

5. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

I still think we should have signed Artest for 3 years at his current rate and we could have used the MLE for Wafer or Gortat. I'm not liking the moves we've made so far in free agency.

6. MandM's

MandM's Member

artest will take the to another level defensively...the lakers just got better.

Ariza will be good on the rockets but the rockets will be bad. i agree with this guy...another player on another team..huge screw up focusing on this guy over artest.

now losing gotat rockets are screwed'

lotto!

7. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

I'm starting to think that this so reputible Yahoo sports writer Wojerjoski or whatever the Hell his name is really doesn't like the Rockets or Loves seeing us in pain ! To this day he is the only writer to really come out and say what he did about Yao and the other writers just followed. Now he writes this article and he doesn't know if the Rockets are headed to Lottery Land what is he a fortune teller ? I wouldn't want anything more than for the Rockets to prove all the media wrong :mad:

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Talk about being in for a surprise.

9. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

"lottery land" > lala land

10. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Yea my thoughts exactly, unless Artest loses some weight he won't be chansing quick 2 guards anymore.

11. alethios

alethios Member

This guy is an *$$! I would love nothing more than to see Fakers self-destruct with their new dramatic addition.

I imagine that Jerry Buss will be pleading with Jackson to coach full-time so he can keep some control over the Ron-ron's quirks.

You know, Ariza is a role player and damn good at it, but we're definitely in a re-building year without Yao and Tracy. If we had both healthy (I forgot what that looks like), this Ariza deal would make perfect sense.

But we have to believe in Rockets management to make the right decisions even if that's accepting a tank year to get us to a trade-worthy year (2010) and get some real star power for this team again.

Happy 4th of July to all the Clutchfans out there!

12. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I like being the underdogs ... :) ... and glad Ariza is on board.

Artest is probably in a better place too, and with Yao and TMac out, will probably get his ring there sooner. I personally liked Artest here, and thought he brought some toughness we needed, gave us flexibility, and an asset on both sides of the ball, which is hard to find. I love how much he loved Houston, too, and was proud of him being here. Of course, he probably brought drama behind the scenes that made things more challenging for the coaches, the ball would stop with him sometimes, and he really didn't play all that well in stretches. But, he was a signficant asset here, IMHO, and I actually hoped we'd keep him, if nothing else, as a player asset.

I'd have liked to get something back for Artest, but, it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't some backroom stuff going on where Houston and LA let each other "have" the other player through MLEs. Artest would have been insulted and developed an attitude if HOU had offered him the same deal he's excited about getting in LA. Ariza was insulted by the same deal from LA, that he's excited about from HOU. Sometimes, people have to switch teams, and this is a good example of everyone winning. Both teams got happy players cheaper.

I'm happy about these transactions. Ariza has some serious upside, and we just got younger, with less health concerns, and with less drama, and greater flexibility for other trades this off-season.

Now if we can just get a good center somewhere ... too bad Gortat didn't work out, although I have a feeling the Magic will match, and we wouldn't have gotten him anyway.

#12 Sherlock, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't understand why Ariza would take the same money and go to Houston? If it is just about a dumbass agent wanting respect and guiding his client elsewhere, then I could see the "huge blunder" tag at play. But, if you read into Ariza's comments, then it comes across as he is wanting a bigger role and more playing time...or a switch to another challenge. So, I'm not ready to just chalk up this move to respect as much as Ariza wanting a change. Apparently, it's not all "milk the Lakers for as many rings as I can with Kobe and Gasol" mentality with Ariza. Nobody can deny that the Lakers are faves going into next season. If rings is all it is about to Ariza, then he wouldn't leave. Good to see there is more to it in Ariza's mind.

#13 Surfguy, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  14. supdudes

supdudes Member

I hope both team benefit from this. Honestly this guy's attitude pisses me off- I was and am not a big fan of hypes, I only see good or bad potential but always give the benefit of the doubt.

I agree with Ariza's belief that he can become a star on his own because he has great potential. In all fairness though, the Lakers, in the short term, benefit big. But seeing as how the Rockets in this shape, I would have to say they are taking the lesser of the two risks. :cool:

15. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Moronic article.

He got offered MLE for christ sake not like the Lakers were going to make hima true pimp moneymaker with a large deal.

Ariza has won a ring and he saw the oppurtunity to play with a team where he might option 1 or 2 considering Yao is out for the season.

As for the Lakers, Ron is great when he is neutred, good luck trying to keep his ego happy alongside the prima donna of the NBA.

16. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

Let me get this straight, I love it. When Artest was on the Rockets, he was one of our best players, better than Tmac, one of the best defenders in the league, a tru warrior, tough, and "he got us into the second round". And it was "cool" when he laughed at Tmac (his teammate!) for getting hung on the rim due to a severly injured knee issue.

Now that he's on the Lakers, he's going to be a cancer, his shooting percentage is horrendous, he jacks up too many shots, his defense is declining, he's getting old, he's a thug, and he'll ruin their chemistry.

LOL This bbs is hilarous.h

17. ROCKCITY

ROCKCITY Member

Ron couldn't even guard Brandon Roy, and Roy isn't even quick.

And what's up with this guy bashing Ariza?
    Young players like Ariza have the chance to become stars given the opportunity. Look at Rudy Gay for example.

Ariza was never given the opportunity to even start till halfway throughout this season. He never started for the Knicks nor the Magic. He's never been on a team where he was the best player either. Now given the Rockets current situation, he could possibly turn out to be the best player on the starting line up.

I hope Ariza plays with a chip on his shoulder, and prove these mofos wrong. Laker fans need to get over Ariza and show some respect. And since when has Ron gotten this much attention other than the incident in Detriot? I don't recall him getting this much media attention going to Houston. Screw LA.

18. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

F the lakers and their stupid fans. Rockets came within one game of beating LA in the playoffs last year without Yao and without TMac.

Watch out LA. We are coming after you!

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Who cares what this guy says? It's up to Ariza to make the best out of this opportunity. Joe Johnson got better when he went to Atlanta, away from Phoenix. Ariza is not in the same league,but if he works hard,he might become a better overall player. That in someways is just as important as being an NBA champion.

20. jae713

jae713 Member

Is he talking about the same overrated defense of Artest. Did he not see Roy torch Ron in the 1st round and then again by Kobe in the 2nd round.