1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[yahoo] Spirit Airlines to charge up to $45 for carry-ons

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by superden, Apr 6, 2010.

Tags:
  1. superden

superden Contributing Member

You gotta be kidding me.... I feel like flying exclusively Southwest and Jet Blue from here on out...

-----------------------------------

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100406/ap_on_bi_ge/us_carry_on_fee#mwpphu-container

MINNEAPOLIS – Spirit Airlines will charge as much as $45 each way for a carry-on bag, adding a fee that bigger airlines have yet to try.

The charge will apply to bags in the overhead bin. Personal items that fit under the seat will still be free. Spirit said it will add measuring devices at the gates to determine which carry-ons are free and which ones will incur the charge.

The new charge is $45 if paid at the gate, and $30 if paid in advance, and begins Aug. 1. Spirit said on Tuesday that it reduced its lowest fares by $40 on average, so most customers won't really pay more to fly.

Spirit also charges to check luggage.

Spirit CEO Ben Baldanza said having fewer carry-on bags will help empty the plane faster. He said the idea is to get customers to pay for individual things they want, while keeping the base fare low.

"The beauty of it is they will do what they think is best for them and will now have the choice," he said.

Spirit is based in Miramar, Fla., and most of its routes run through Fort Lauderdale to Latin America.

Even though it's a minor player, bigger airlines are likely to watch to see whether customers are willing to pay for carry-ons. None of the major carriers made any immediate changes to their fees on Tuesday morning.

Fees for checking bags on the big U.S. carriers got started in 2008. At first, many travelers thought they wouldn't last. But now all the big airlines except Southwest and JetBlue charge to check a bag on domestic flights.

2. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

They won't be the first.

3. Depressio

Err, wow. I meant to say: they won't be the last.

Tuesdays.

4. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

It would probably be cheaper to ship your stuff ahead of time via usps.

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

its going to be soon where it may be just cheaper to fly somewhere with just your wallet/purse and then just buy the clothes and things you need once you get there

1 person likes this.
  6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The government has to make a regulation act of some kind or these "fees" are going to continue to add up. This is just ridiculous.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If they are lowering ticket prices by $45 then this is ok.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

They're lowering them now to avoid a more serious backlash. Rest assured the rates will walk right back up. Loss leader.

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Who the f flys Spirit Airways?

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If I were running airlines, I would allow free checked baggage and charge for the 2nd carry on AND firmly enforce the size rule (i.e. the first carry on would have a maximum size of a briefcase that can hold a laptop). It would speed boarding up tremendously and open up the overheads.

11. Depressio

They'll add up as long as people pay for them. Eventually they'll get to a point where the demand decreases and additional fees become a revenue hit instead of a revenue boon. Right now, additional fees maximize the revenue, thus they'll keep being tacked on until their max revenue goes down (due to people leaving for Southwest or someone with fewer fees).

Regulations aren't necessary. Consumers will regulate the fees by not buying tickets.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

BULLET TRAINS!!!
    MORE BULLET TRAINS!!!

We're getting the fever and it can only be cured with HI SPEED RAIL!!!

Rocket River

13. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

B A G S F L Y F R E E!!!!

14. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Amtrak v2 ... The cost of these will never allow them to be self-sustaining

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i can see this what has annoyed me lately is how people have been bringing "carryons" that are bigger than the suitcase i checked in and it takes forever to get on and off a flight.

at least in my world a carryon is a backpack, briefcase, or a handbag or a very small roll along.

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

european?

[​IMG]

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

What about the people that have all carry-ons and no really big luggage? I guess its better to put all the stuff in one big suitcase and bring nothing into the plane.

$45 each way? So thats $90 right? Might as well leave with nothing and only pay the charge for stuff on the way back.

18. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Is it bad I've never even heard of this airline? :confused:

Are they international or something? I always fly continental since we live near a continental hub lol

19. Amber Lamps

Amber Lamps Member

What if you have a CHL?

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

"What's the deal with airline food?" :confused: