1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

yahoo speculation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by davidkconover, Jan 28, 2011.

1. davidkconover

davidkconover Member

Don't know if it is worth it's own tread and sorry if posted elsewhere, but...

The Houston Rockets will look to move at least one of their swingmen, including Shane Battier and Jared Jeffries. Yahoo! Sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-afterthebuzzer012811

I would think that both have value on a contender... but honestly there are times watching the ROX of late that I think they should both be in the rotation at the same time. Anything to help our defense.

2. thejav

thejav Member

Cool..yaos injury exception runs out in 3 days so morey has to do it soon...do trades happen on the weekends?

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Morey doesn't sleep...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XtztvaGN92A?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Why do you say that? The DPE could just expire on Monday, and Morey would still have until Feb. 24 to trade any of his wings.

Yes, trades can happen on the weekend. But don't hold your breath on anything happening with that Yao DPE.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If the DPE expires unused, it lowers the odds even further of a big deal for Melo going down.

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

It was always irrelevent to the deal. ANy deal for Melo will almost be on the last day as it would be a last consideration for the Nuggets. Get this the Nuggets will only deal Melo to the Rockets if NJ is offer is dead. Rumors are it is not and the Nuggets will wait to see.

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Not really, Ariza's T/E is still in play to pick up crappy contracts like Harrington's, not that I would make that trade.

8. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Lowers? I suppose. But not much.

As far as "purely financial assets" go, the Rockets will still have Yao's insurance-covered expiring contract and the $6.32M Ariza TPE. Those two assets are likely enough, when packaged with the requisite amount of young talent and/or picks that the Nuggets will demand, to at least get a competitive deal for Melo on the table.

And I hate to break it to you, but the Rockets are not getting Melo this weekend.

Basically, what OMR just said.

9. jopatmc

What's gonna happen is the Knicks are gonna make a push and once Melo sees them making moves for him, he's gonna balk at any deal with the Nets. The Nugs are going to be forced to either take the Knicks deal, take a rental deal, or let him walk. It's a big game of chicken.

10. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Sure. But a game that will not end over this weekend.

11. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Damn, didnt know the DPE expires already...It would be nice to pick up a big man for that if possible....

12. delta69er

delta69er Member

I love shane and though we never see much of JJ, he still plays with heart. However, these guys deserve to be on a contender at this point in their careers (I'm not too sure how old JJ is) and I hate to see such a nice guy like Shane waste his career with a team that's dangerously close to rebuilding mode right now. If he's traded, I hope he lands on a contender and we land some good talent.

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

It's a safe bet that a Jeffries + 3 million cash to Sacramento or TWolves contingent deal right before the deadline, barring needing his salary for a monster deal, is already in place.

14. jopatmc

Agreed. But, if Morey did take Harrington off the Nuggets hands with the DPE this weekend, that would be a very significant move that obviously means we are getting something else of value later, whether it be Melo or picks or AR and picks, but there would be something else waiting to drop if we indeed picked off Harrington or Birdman for nothing and cut Denver all that savings.

15. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I am one of Daryl Morey's biggest supporters. But even I would be calling for his head if he agreed to take on Al Harrington's contract with the DPE with only the "wink-wink promise" that he'd get Melo at the trade deadline.

What is the point for Denver not to just trade Melo at the same time?

The ONLY thing that could happen in the scenario that you laid out is that Morey and the Rockets get screwed.

NOT. GOING. TO. HAPPEN.

(Or, at least, if the Rockets get screwed at the trade deadline, it won't be under these circumstances.) ;)

16. Prince

Prince Member

There's also a new article today in my SI magazine about the Rockets being willing to trade Luis and Martin for Melo.

17. Prince

Prince Member

and it says they're willing to do it even without a guaranteed contract extension.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

See I think Morey would take on Harringtons contract "IF" and its a big if, Melo is willing to sign an extension. See the Major problem here is if Morey wants to know that ahead of time then he needs to communicate with Melo's agency and potentially Melo.

Thats when the trade leaks and all leverage goes out the window. Similar to the New Jersey deal, I believe it fell through because of Melo's agency getting involved. The media coverage created leverage for the Nuggets. Also time was on their side.

The Nuggets knew they could pull a "wait and see" approach at the last minute and then throw the bad contracts in the deal after the paperwork is ready to be signed at the last minute. They knew then knew that if that didn't work they could still get the proposed deal at the trade deadline in a split second.

The point here is that Morey probably would not communicate with Melo's agency to find out for sure if Melo would actually sign an extension because he wouldnt want to reveal his poker hand (His real FINAL offer) to loose leverage in the negotiations.

Morey has most likely put an offer out there that he thinks is competitive enough, one that the team can live without if Melo doesn't resign, one that he will not flip flop on to put the pressure on Nuggets, and not put pressure on himself to get the deal done by crippling the team with bad contracts for the future of the organization.

19. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Sneaky way to blow up the team if Melo doesn't resign, still wouldn't do it without Nene being included in the deal.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Not to sound like a douche but the idea of somebody in the know reporting that an opportunistic GM like Morey, armed with $14M in expiring contracts (between the two of them), just miiiight look to move those contracts isn't exactly groundbreaking type stuff.

1 person likes this.