1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo!] Rumor: Josh Smith has Houston on his list?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 18pbr, Jun 21, 2011.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Dwight Howard's pals are top 10 players (Chris Paul).

2. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I wonder if he is using us as leverage

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

You know, if McHale and/or his assistants are clever enough, I think we can devise some sort of defensive scheme that can really work in Josh Smith.

The reason I say that is because Smith brings help defense and shot-blocking to a team that has none. Hayes and Scola are both much better at man-defense than help defense. Patterson has potential, but he's not a paint-protector at this point either. Jordan Hill just doesn't have a clue. And Thabeet is Thabeet.

Smith has that Robert Horry-esque presence about him that he can just fly to anywhere on the court. Which IMO would really help cover some of our deficiencies.

He is definitely a bit of a knucklehead. But I think having one knucklehead is fine when all your other players are pretty cerebral. Similar to how Wafer could succeed despite only making WTF plays both good and bad.

4. colts_1994

colts_1994 Member

Bring in detroit, we get 8th, josh smith

Detroit gets scola,14th

Atlanta gets, martin, budinger

5. t_mac1

So in one offseason, you trade your 2 best players, and Josh Smith is the best you can get?

6. colts_1994

colts_1994 Member

Throw in fillers in both trades and we have nice outlook going forward.

Kyle Lowry
    Marshon Brooks
    Josh Smith
    Patrick Patterson
    Sam Dalembert- via free agency

Role Players-lee, hayes, #23

7. colts_1994

colts_1994 Member

Smith is way better than Scola or Martin, u also pick up the 8th pick which could be Marhson Brooks, he could be Martin caliber easily down the road.

8. t_mac1

Please pass that something over to me if you do have it.

Smith IS a better defender than both of them combined, but his offense SUCKS. Nobody cares to guard Josh Smith outside of the restricted area of the paint because he can't shoot a lick. And you are going to trade your 2 best scorers? What do you want us to average? 80 points a game?

And unless a draft pick is a for sure, you don't know who is going to pan out, especially in this draft.

If you are going to trade your 2 best players, you better be assured us fans want someone who is a legit star to handle the load/anchor this team. Josh Smith AT BEST is a 3rd best player on a contender. He'll be a good piece that we would love to have though, but not as the main piece.

1 person likes this.
  9. CCorn

CCorn Member

If we get him to play SF yes.

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

coachbadlee are you signing up for multiple accounts?!

11. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

so is this a go to start a "Josh Smith to Houston" campaign...

this sounds oddly familiar...ugh..

12. colts_1994

colts_1994 Member

If we score 80 and the other team only scores 79, we will be in a good situation, look up Marhson Brooks, give him 2 seasons and he will have plenty of offense to give us, plus jsmith will def. give us a better chance for howard/paul or somebody else than martin and scola combined, besides defense wins championships

13. t_mac1

Dwight Howard wants to play with a dominant perimeter player, and Josh Smith stinks as a perimeter player.

Chris Paul wants to play with a dominant inside player, and Scola > Smith in terms of interior scoring.

14. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

how is his defense?

15. colts_1994

colts_1994 Member

Marshon Brooks can be that dominant perimeter player, nets howard, howard nets paul

Chris Paul
    Marshon Brooks
    Josh Smith
    Pat Patterson
    Dwight Howard

16. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Only if it was that easy.

17. colts_1994

colts_1994 Member

I no right, one can imagine though cant he?

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Better than Scola or Martin can definitely be debated. Being worth a package that has us sending out Martin AND Scola? That's absurd.

Scola: 17 and 8.5
    Martin: 23 ppg on 1.49 pps

Smith: 16 and 8.5, 2 blocks...but a scoring efficiency of 1.22 (poor)

Scola is somewhat expendable with Patterson behind him.
    Martin is somewhat expendable with Lee (and possibly Williams) behind him.

Ditching both, ditching your only two (incredibly) reliable scorers for a guy that very literally goes from 25 points one night to single digits the next is beyond foolish. And no, Marshon Brooks doesn't even things out. He's a gamble to pan out, let alone become a 6-5 Kobe Jr.

19. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I really like him at the 4 in stead of the 3.

So maybe we offer Scola, Hill, Miller, Bud, and #14 pick??

Then hope that someone like Singleton, Hamilton, or Honeycutt drops to 23 to replace Bud
    OR Go ahead and take Vucevic with 23 and replace Bud through free agency (hopefully option number 2)

Option 1:
    Hayes/Thabeet
    Smith/Patterson
    TWill/Rookie SF
    Martin/Lee
    Lowry/Dragic

OR

Option 2:
    Hayes/Vucevic or Thabeet
    Smith/Patterson
    Wilson Chandler/TWill
    Martin/Lee
    Lowry/Dragic

I think we can get a solid starting C down the line with either Thabeet or Vucevic. Id Love to sign wilson chandler but im not sure if its realistic???

Considering one of those young C's pan out... I think that team could compete in the West!

20. amaru

amaru Member

I would welcome J. Smith to Htown.....living in ATL i get to see alot of Hawks games. If he can play at the 3 he would be exactly what this team needs. Far better than Bud will ever be.

That being said, idk if we can get him here.......I would be surprised if we could.