1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo!] Rumor: Josh Smith has Houston on his list?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 18pbr, Jun 21, 2011.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Interesting, the problem as Gater correctly pointed out is contract size, one of the dowfalls of being frugal is not having large enough contracts to trade for Max or near Max players.

Too bad we could not get him for Yao at the trade deadline.

DD

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, that's just like, your opinion, man...

1 person likes this.
  3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Thabeet and Miller are expirings along with Hill. We've got plenty of contracts.

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:confused:

Josh Smith makes 11.7m right now. The outgoing salaries would need to be 9.28m. You could do something like Brad Miller, Jordan Hill, and Terence Williams + the #14.

Don't know if that's enough, but that'd give the Hawks a salary dump plus some upside. There's no reason to have Scola, Smith, and Patterson, though.

5. Prince

Prince Member

Agreed, but with McHale? :D

6. herro

herro Member

He does kinda tie the room together though....

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

For years I've been trying to highlight the huge Achilles Heel of $Ball. Without big contracts, you can't get big contracts. Yes...Kelvin Cato's max contract was a bad signing. However, no Cato...no McGrady as Francis and Mobely were barely half the needed amount.

Or...no Kwame...no Pau. No Pau...no Marc. No Kwame expiring...no Z-Bo.

Frugality is not without a downside.

BTW, current CBA won't allow you to trade a player with an expiring contract. That's the reason you don't see Yao + 14 discussed. (Coon FAQ #88).

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

NIKE -
    Seriously my friend? Miller, Hill, Williams and 14 in a so-so draft? Miller can't play until January, Hill wouldn't start for ATL, Williams is extremely unproven commodity and 14 is TDB. They get no starters in your scenario.

If you think a salary dump is the best offer ATL would receive for Smith? We'll just have to agree to disagree.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Yeah, that's why talent is what gets deals done, not whether we have bad/big contracts or not.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I usually disagree with everything he says but he's right regarding the Shawn Marion comparison. Unless, of course, he's not referring to Marion in his prime.

I probably don't need to remind you how valuable and indispensable Marion was to those SSOL Phoenix teams. Sure, he got paid like a top tier player and struggled to create his own offense (so he took some flack), but at the end of the day here's a guy that plays two-way basketball, hustles and collects every garbage bucket, rebound or loose ball that there is.

In the right situation, I can see Josh Smith flourishing in such a role as well. He definitely has a better post game and shot blocking than Marion ever did, though. Which is a definitely a plus. But as far as demeanor and instincts go, Josh is never going to be a one or two guy. Trust me, I follow the Hawks as closely as a follow the Rockets.

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

nathan8: 1

clutchfans: 0

1 person likes this.
  12. Classic

Classic Member

I actually like that line up of

Hayes
    PPat
    Smith
    Kmart
    Lowry

That's a lot of versatility in the front court though I'd prefer an Andrew Bogut type C-if there's one available. The problem is, I don't know if that front court survives a grind it out half court game in the post season.

13. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

Hes not coming here ...were not getting anyone good. Were in for a few seasons of mediocrity - suck.

14. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Scola + miller + #14 for Smith.

Make it happen Morey.

15. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Scola + Miller + Terence Williams works on the trade checker, even with Scola's BYC status until July 1st. If you throw in pick 14 as well, is that enough?

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

That's more than enough.

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I'm not so sure of that. Scola + 14 + having to pay worthless Brad Miller this year?

Question for those smarter than me (everyone): Trading for Josh Smith on draft night -- do you use his 2010-2011 salary or 2011-12 salary?

#57 LongTimeFan, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

too bad he isn't a Center.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Thabeet $5 mil
    Miller $5 mil(for expiring purposes $6 mil due to buyout clause for next year)
    Dragic $2 mil
    Carroll $1 mil

These are just "expiring contracts". One that you can mix and match with "real" players to give to Atlanta.

I don't want to sound mean, but a 5th grader who can pass his math class can mix and match Rockets salaries to fit with Josh Smith's $11 mil(+/- 15%). If you can't do it, you should go back to grade school and work on your basic math.

20. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

Why do we want another PF? If anything, J smoove has been disappointing as of lately. With his athleticism you think he could get to the rim more. I cringe every time he takes a shot.