1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Yahoo] Rockets have inquired about Marcin Gortat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You're right that you have to give something. I just can't see them moving Lee. Maybe someone else that I like. ;)

2. gah

gah Member

I am no scout but I think it's a stretch to call Gortat a better player than Chandler, in potential? maybe, but Chandler has been given the credit of improving that Dallas team from a MacGradyesque playoff appearance to a team poised for a deeper playoff run. Last year Mavs at this stage were a joke (they obviously improved after the Butler trade) this year you have to count them among serious contenders. Chandler anchoring that defense has been the difference.

If Gortat is really better than Chandler then he is the best commodity out there. For me, acquiring Gortat would be a gamble, one I would be willing to take if the trade comes at a low price.

3. gah

gah Member

I am disappointed in Chase (like everybody else) the problem with him is that he gets abused at both positions, SGs expose him with their quickness (he can't stay in front of Tractor Traylor) and SFs abuse him with their strength (I’ve seen PGs send HIM flying off of a collision)

4. anchel

anchel Member

Last year he played better defense next to Ariza/Battier. As SG, at least he can compensate quickness with size and jump, he can give them space and contest more shots, and won't get abused near the basket, and will help you more at rebounding. Overall I see him more confortable as SG, but is an opinion.

5. anchel

anchel Member

-lack of- quickness

6. Houston_Rockets

The "Polish Hammer" is the most underrated C in the league, he could easily be a 10M player right now if there wasn´t a man called Superman. I say this simply based on the average salary of a true centers in this league (not ONLY based on skill). He is/can be better/as efficient as:

Tyson Chandler
    Haywood
    Camby
    Okafor
    Andris Biedrins (This guy could be a beast but doesn´t have the mental toughness, and isn´t aggressive down there)
    Kaman

You will probably question this list, but for me, all of them have similar or lower OVERALL skill then Gortat, or the ones that have more skill aren´t as efficient as Gortat is, because they lack the ability to use the physical gifts God gave them (and all of them have higher salary then him).

For me a center has to be physical, has to put his body on the line, has to understand when to do hard fouls, be intelligent when using contact, because if they aren´t they will be a foul machine.

They have to contest shots, they have to be quick when going for the boards, or simply setting screens. Gortat is a tall, quick, strong Center, and isn´t afraid of anyone, this is what you need down there.

I think Gortat can be a steal, but if Morey only gives Orlando Battier/Jeffries/any TE, there is going to be some other team giving more for the "Polish Hammer", IMO

(the LT can be a problem if we continue to be a losing team)

PeAcE

7. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Sources say Orlando has talked to a number of teams and could be planning two separate deals. Trading for Arenas may just be the start.

One source says Gilbert Arenas to Orlando is done with an announcement expected tomorrow and debut on Monday. Still no word who Wizards get.

http://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA

TWO separate deals and apparently Gortat isn't going to Washington in the Arenas deal...Gortat coming to Houston?

8. gah

gah Member

That is a good observation, though you would need to avoid putting him on the Kobes of the world. This might end up being the biggest reason Chase becomes a career bench player.

9. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I would have to say Morey must be pushing it very hard since Yao might be forever done and Gortat is a quick plug in.

10. vick

vick Member

Some teams have layup drills on us. I am tired of teams geting 50 points in the paint. Houston needs someone like Gortat, so i say go for it Morey. :mad:

11. Houston_Rockets

And just to put a video to prove my point:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KJk8_9ARfJU?fs=1&amp;hl=pt_PT"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KJk8_9ARfJU?fs=1&amp;hl=pt_PT" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

He doesn´t back down, and has the quickness to keep up with LBJ and protect the rim (on 1v1 D as opposed to help side defense), against probably the most difficult guy to contest when that close to the basket.

And offensively he just does this:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/35ii8L5uxkc?fs=1&amp;hl=pt_PT"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/35ii8L5uxkc?fs=1&amp;hl=pt_PT" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

BOOMSHAKALAKA

PeAcE

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I would gladly give up Jeffries for Gortat. Maybe even Battier since he is probably gone after this year anyway. But no picks though. Big men that can walk and chew gum get $5M a yr so I don't see how he is overpaid.

13. RX2012

RX2012 Member

I would love this guy, but would hate to give up battier for it.
    hopefully morey can work something out to where we can get gortat for free in a 4 team trade without anyone noticing.

14. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Gortat for the MLE as your starting center is a bargain in my opinion, i hope they get it, the defense from the starting unit would change the second he started

15. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

If Morey can pull this off i'll give him a merit. Williams and Gortat is two solid pieces. They become more physical with these 2.

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

17. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand why people underrate Gortat so much on this board. He might not be an elite center, but he isn't some "plug-in" either. Think about how many great centers there really are in the league. All I can think of is Dwight Howard. There is those right behind him like Brook Lopez, Roy Hibbert, and such, but quite frankly, after that there aren't many good center left in this league. Gortat, has always been a solid player and when given starters minutes he has always produced and even did a great job as temporary replacement for Dwight.

I'm all for getting Gortat on this team and hopefully Morey makes it happen because he would be an awesome player to be put into our Center slot. Not just a temporary solution either but a good long term solution.

19. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

http://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA

20. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

This is good news but hope nothing more than Battier or Hill/Budinger are given up for him. He isnt worth more than Battier. If you ask me thats a even trade that benefits both. They get a expiring contract and veteran who can help lock down the Kobes of the league in the playoffs about as skilled as Gortat and better for their team and we get size. Straight up equal trade since Battier is a starter? Kind of they get a better player until Gortat is proven through playing time.