1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yahoo: Rockets have ‘growing belief’ that Harden may stay for full season, if not longer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Dec 24, 2020.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Sports are different though. Remember, Kobe wanted to play on the moon before playing again for the Lakers. He was willing to go anywhere else.

They surrounded him with talent and he changed his mind.

If Harden stays here for a year, finishes with a top seed, finishes in the WCF, he might decide that he was wrong about the organization and want to stay.

#81 JayGoogle, Dec 25, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    HP3, Patience and D-rock like this.
  2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If most everything lines up a particular way (very unlikely in my estimate), then sure, it could happen. But the biggest difference is that the Tilman Rockets organization is NOTHING akin to what the Jerry Buss Lakers organization was.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Harden's antics could prevent that from happening though. The team has the talent to shock a lot of people, but ONLY if Harden stops being a little b****....and I'm just not sure that's going to happen.

4. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

March 25th cant get here soon enough

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Maybe.

People were clowning on the Lakers FO too until they got Lebron and AD and started winning. If the Rockets continue to win, even in spite of Tilman, let's say Silas turns out to be a HOF level coach and Stone is a good GM, Tilman won't become the clown of an owner. I think Tilman has flaws to be sure but as of right now today I don't think he's the 'worst owner ever' maybe time will prove that.

winning simply changes perspectives. As a great coach once said, it's the best deodorant.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, he ain't making it easier that's for sure. I think he's going to play as usual if he gets on the court though because guys like that can't help themselves. They are too competitive.

Patience likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I have no doubts about him when he's on the court, I just don't know how often he's going to be on it with the way he keeps breaking the rules in order to play with his friends instead of being a professional.

JayGoogle likes this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Getting Lebron had almost nothing to do with the Lakers organization and almost everything to do with being in Los Angeles.

Nook, glynch and justtxyank like this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chris Broussard
    @Jontro

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

See, that doesn't matter. People aren't clowning on the Laker's front office anymore. It doesn't matter if the owner is a bad owner, they lucked into a situation that worked for them.

It's sort of like how Jerry Jones was once this great owner that could win superbowls until he isn't anymore and his team is often a laughing stock. Turns out he lucked into a good situation and now without a good GM and Coach he seems often clueless about how to manage his team.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I felt that way about CPee3.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

It matters because Tilman's team isn't in LA, and isn't nearly as likely to attract a Lebron level player like Jerry Buss did.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

People always say that but history doesn't really bear it out. The Lakers attract players more because of their history rather than just playing in LA. Proof. Look at the Knicks. The Rockets have actually attracted more superstar players than the New York Knicks have over the past...I don't know...decades or so? Also the Clippers. People forget Kobe was openly trashing the organization, he was willing to go to Utah....

The Lakers are like the Yankees, they are like Barcelona, they play in a nice spot to be sure but they also have a history that this is where you go when you want to win championships.

Even still, we're talking about right now. Right now Tilman (on paper) has a team that could surprise a lot of people. If this team makes a deep run why would Harden run to leave to Portland or another team? Especially if doing so guts said team to acquire him?

All I'm saying is if the Rockets win Tilman's reputation will change. If Silas and Stone can build a winning culture then players will come and respect will be given.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Trade his ass to OKC for the picks and swaps back .... so we can take the Astro's route , tank it up and get some young players with years of team control and reasonable contracts.

Tanking doesn't work as well in the NBA but it would be better than the current cluster f@ck.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

When he was traded to Blazers, they went to WCF the following season.

Quitten was an absolute ass but Rockets were long in the tooth and short on talent, especially their bench.

Patience likes this.
  16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I can agree with this.

Glad you brought up the Knicks. A prime example of a team with a location advantage being undone by a terrible owner.

D-rock and JayGoogle like this.
  17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Corrected for you.

jim1961 likes this.
  18. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

The problem is what Harden doesn’t care about is he will get his money no matter where he goes, The Rockets as an organization is a billion dollar corporation that will suffer greatly if he leaves. The fans of course who invest in this team suffer as well. The franchise would truly be screwed for the forceable future.

With our luck, I’m sure we will not be one of the lucky ones who transition with ease from one star player to the other such Dallas from Dirk to Luca, San Antonio from Robinson to Duncan, or even recently New Orleans from Anthony Davis to Zion.

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

He can do a Durant and go to one of the previous year's Finals teams or preferably the actual champion and then be celebrated as a great player and champion and half the folks who have wanted to trade him for picks for years will be celebrating his praise.

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Who knows Tillman might "Shut Up and Listen" and learn that he can't be a successful sports team owner by getting his rocks off by being heavy handed or saying: "You're fired" to Hall of Famer players, coaches and GM's

D-rock likes this.