1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Yahoo] Rockets guard Spanoulis could be headed back to Greece

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, May 25, 2007.

1. rocketsmetalspd

VSpan will be back next year. He is signed and I am sure RA will convince him to come back and at least compete for spot. If RA sees something that JVG didn't see in VSpan I am sure VSpan will get some quality PT if not VSpan will be let go to pursue his Euroleague dreams.

2. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

I'm not positive either, I was looking at the CBA trying to make sense of it. It seems that at least in the off-season, if both parties (player and club) agree, he can be waived with no real financial cost...

The relevant part of the CBA faq is here:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#59
    and here:
    http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#60

Hope I'm reading this correctly.

I guess the only situation where the Rockets would agree to this would be if they were certain the player would not produce (lack of motivation, interest, didnt want to play in the first place)....

For example...Say the rockets did not go for the buy out and kept him for the next year and he pulled a Bonzi on the team (showed up out of shape, didnt make any effort, etc.)...Dont you think it wouldve been better to have agreed to a minimal buy out and get his salary off the books?

3. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Trade him for a 2nd round pick tomorrow.

4. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

hey

all I'm saying is that JVG buried himself

he had the chance to be a great coach and he came out as just what he is, a first round knockout!

JVG was given all he asked for, he could not bring in results and thats the reason he had to go..... not considering the headache he brought to many fans and the management :mad:

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i know the dance, dont need to keep reminding me.

vpsan and other bench scrubs and players get the benefit of the doubt but jvg did everthing wrong.

6. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

:D :D :D ... V-Span: Darling, you better go nooooooow before you see me cry! (Damn, I loved that song!)

7. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

As far as I can see, (look at the links i posted before), if there is a mutual agreement, the actual compensation can be waived completely....

8. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Would be sad if he leaves. Rockets would lose a star in the making. Thanks for ruining another draft pick JVG. :(

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Looks like Alex_jr is right. He could get a buy-out of $0 to make his impact on the cap disappear. Not that he had much of an impact on the cap in the first place. Of course, the Rockets don't have to agree to a buy-out. But, Spanoulis doesn't have to play either.

What I'm not clear on is whether FIBA would allow Spanoulis to change league's without the Rockets' consent. I suppose there might be a buy-out provision in his contract like European players have to keep them from going to the States.

In any case, I don't think it is up to the Rockets in the end, no matter how much DaDakota insists. He might be able to buy-out his own contract. If he can't, he can negotiate a buy-out with the Rockets. And, if they resist that, he can threaten to not play (it's just 1 more year, so he can easily afford that). Not that it would come to that, since the Rockets aren't going to force someone to stick around if they don't want to.

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

bbs.clutchfans.net Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    DaDakota
    5-11 SPOF from Austin
    Incoming
    The Will of Greece
    6-4 WRITER from Athens
    Change in board outlook: +Intelligent Discussion, -Revisionist History, -Annoyance.

bbs.panathinaikos.net Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    The Will of Greece
    6-4 WRITER from Athens
    Incoming
    DaDakota
    5-11 SPOF from Austin
    Change in board outlook: +Post Quantity, +Spanoulis Love, +"Next Tom Chambers" Predictions.

TRADE ACCEPTED

11. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

12. lyrix

lyrix Member

See that's one thing I don't like about NBA.

When it comes to getting players from other leagues, it's always like "we'll pay nothing to the player's former team, if there is a contract, they should be settled by the player and his team first, blah blah..." and in the mean time throw some nonsense like "if you really like the kid, you should set him free by letting him play in the 'BEST' leagues".

BTW, How much did Rockets pay to Shanghai Sharks to get Yao Ming??

Now if its' an exact opposite situation, like VSpan's, you will hear people say, no the Rocket should be compensated, or if you sign a contract, you sign a contract, wth, why can you set him free by letting him play in the league where he is loved most...

By all means, I hope VSpan stay; if not, i am glad Stern gets slapped in the face.

13. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Just like Bonzi talks about JVG, "Coach was great and I really appreciated him coming to me man to man and telling me I don't fit." Yeah Right!!

VSpan thinks he got shafted because CD told him he would play. I say let him go if he waives his contract and goes back to Greece but hell no if he wants to still get paid by the Rox and go back to Greece.

#53 tiger0330, May 25, 2007
    Last edited: May 25, 2007
  14. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

The Sharks get a percentage of everything Yao makes in the NBA, as I recall.

The Rockets have nothing to gain from buying VSpan out. It's not like the Rockets are NY.

A couple people mentioned the Rockets buying VSpan out of his contract. Why would they do that? I doubt the Rocket's are going to want to set precedent to let a player hold them hostage over such a small amount of money. I'd expect Houston to hold their ground, and make sure he didn't play anywhere for the next couple years, if he's going to be a quitter and ego driven, and not honor his contract. Otherwise, it encourages Euros to come over, and if they don't start and make management do what they want, have the team pay them to go play for someone else. That will just increase their value in Europe, having played for the NBA. If there's going to a be a buyout, it'll be with respect and it'll be the Euro team buying him out from the Rockets, just like we have to buy out other teams to bring guys into the NBA.

15. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

quoted so poeple will actually read this. thanks for the update. i would like vspan to stay and will be rooting for him to at least crack our the regular rotation. Needs alot of work in the summer, but hopefully adelman and the coaching staff will embrace him.

16. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

A-ha...But we're not talking about Span holding them hostage over ANY amount of money....

We are discussing the case in which Span has decided he wants to go back to Europe and doesnt want to play in the NBA anymore and does NOT want to be paid his remaining salary but simply to be allowed to leave....

We were discussing whether there is a scenario allowing this that would also not bother the Rockets. As far as I can tell from the CBA (links i provided above), the Rockets and Span are totally allowed to agree to even a 0% buyout and remove his salary from the cap...

However this doesnt sound right and as someone else mentioned, Jalen Rose was in the Knicks's cap for 16.9miill although his buyout was only 14.5mill....

However I am unable to find the relevant parts in the CBA and beginning to wonder whether this section was changed this year....

This discussion is purely academic regarding salary caps and restrictions and the CBA for me...I'm just grabbing a chance to learn more...

As far as I'm concerned I'm quite positive Span will stay...(read my initial post on this thread)

17. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Everybody wants V300 to stay, I don't see any reason for him not to stay. As for me, I really don't like V's agent. I think he's the one that's been the little devil who whispers in V's ears about leaving. This is just something I picked up after reading all of the V300 articles.

Kick V's agent back to Europe. :mad:

18. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

I don't know the rules, but the situations are very different. A player has to agree to the buyout number and there's no way rose or anyone would give up too much in a buyout. Rose got 14.5 mill from the knicks + whatever he signed for in phoenix. In vspan's case his contract is so small that if he really wanted to go back to greece, he could agree to a $0 buyout as he would make up the money left on his contract in greece.

19. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

You missed the point. I agree with you on this.

I'm wondering whether the CBA allows for the Rockets and Span to agree to a buyout (of 0$) an therefore his remaining salary NOT counting against the salary cap. In which case, you could have an "amicable" split : Span gets to leave if he wants, Rockets get his contract off the cap, everyone's happy.

As far as I can tell, that is allowed. The CBA faq from the NBPA, says that ONLY the buy out amount is included in the salary cap. However the Knicks seemed to have Rose's entire salary in their cap instead of the buyout amount...

I'm just trying to figure out what the rules are... :p

20. lyrix

lyrix Member

Well, I don't know where you got that information. Or if you just want to start a rumor. Stern said specifically NBA doesn't allow buying out contact from other leagues. NBA teams often use this as an excuse to steal talents from other countries w/o paying a penny.

And even if Yao had to give some thing to the Sharks or Chinese league, that's his money, coming out of his max, that Rockets will pay regardless if Yao needs to give the money to anyone else.

(btw, why I had to pay US tax for the job I took oversea?)

Yeah, right, when did this happen? I remember one year ago, people here are worrying about Vspan's team wouldn't let him go because the salary we gave Span was not high enough to cover the cost that if he had to buy out his own contract. His team was kind to let him ago and it's Rocket's turn this year and it's all for a sudden "business is business"?