1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Rockets guard Spanoulis could be headed back to Greece

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, May 25, 2007.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Next, Lucas will threaten to go back to the NBDL, where he was Rafer Alston.

2. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

hahaahhahah :D

3. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

Well...Technically, Span can't terminate his contract by himself. But if he doesnt want to play, why would the rockets want to keep paying him and keep his salary in the books?

So im guessing some kind of small buy out would be arranged. This would probably be paid by the euro team that will sign him.

He only has one guaranteed year left in his contract anyway...The 3rd one I think is an option...not sure if it's team or player though

4. two-sandwiches

I just figur if he signed the contract and he wants to get the most out of life by playing basketball, he should excel in the NBA!

IF he needs do somethings to make the team better, he SHOULD be doing it right now in the gyms with the highest talent in the world.

I believe he hasn't a legitimate chance so far but I feel like he should go with the rookie process and get more time on merit with the more forgiving coach he now has.

HOWEVER IMHO I feel he should be working NOW harder than he should be thinking about later.....which makes him a little bit too drama queen for me at this point.

GO AND PRACTICE VSPAN
    LIVE UP TO THE BEST OPPORTUNITY IN THE WORLD
    DON"T RUN AWAY NOW, MOST ROOKIE YEARS ARE LAME
    STOP MULLING (hopefully bot selfishly) and DO WHAT IT TAKES!

None of us have enough evidence to believe or not to believe in him, so I want him to have a better chance.....but from all that I can gather so far is he needs to WORK HARDER and do less analyzing.....thats our jobs I guess.

EITHER WAY LIFE GOES ON WITH OR WITHOUT HIM AND SO WILL THE ROCKETS.........good for us VSPAN, huh?

5. Barkley

Barkley Member

No suprise for me. Maybe vspan have not spoken yet to the coach. We'll se but if he goes it won't be suprise for me

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

If V-Span really does want to go back to Greece, and if the reason is because of his lack of playing time here, well...

That's exactly the kind of single-minded determination and fiery brand of leadership this team so desperately needs!!!

Right, DaDakota? ;)

Seriously, I hope the kid mans up and decides to give it another year. Maybe Adelman will see something in him that JVG didn't. If Adelman also doesn't play him, he can return to Greece knowing that he just wasn't good enough and not willing to work as hard as necessary to make it in the NBA.

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

JVG leaving and Adelman coming in is the best thing that can happen for Spanoulis. This is the same coach that saw enough of something to give Hedo Turkoglu significant minutes when he was a rook. I wouldn't be surprised, if we don't sign or trade for one, to see Spanoulis sharing starting point guard duties with Alston next year.

8. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Span, I wish you all the best if you decide to go. However, I really want you to stay.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Even if they bought out his whole contract it would still count against the salary cap.

The Rockets have no motivation to allow Span to do anything but play here.

They own his next 2 years....the 2nd being an option for the Rockets.

And if Span quits....**** him.

DD

#29 DaDakota, May 25, 2007
    Last edited: May 25, 2007
  10. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

He's set to star in a new reality tv series: Greece, You're the one that I want!

/lame, i know, have a nice long weekend.

11. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

it's a team option in which the Rockets will pick up after next season assuming Span plays like you and I think he will. ie 15 plus and productive min.

12. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

If I'm not mistaken, only the Buy-out amount counts against the salary cap.
    In this situation, Span would agree to a small buy out and ONLY that would count against the salary cap. Even is part of his contract is guaranteed, I think it can be lowered by mutual agreement.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

There is the possibility he agrees to $0 in a buyout situation. Technically this is the last year of his contract and in being in that situation they might be able to do that.

Otherwise if they can't get that then the Rockets would owe him around 1.6M since rookie salaries are guaranteed by 80% for "lack of skill".

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I don't actually recall, so you are saying he agrees to a small buyout, and that is all that counts against the cap?

I am not sure the NBA players association would allow a very small buyout.

Could be.....but if you are the Rockets and you think he can actually be something why would you agree to that?

DD

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

at least he isnt opposed to putting in the hard work and patience it takes to be a good nba player :rolleyes:

16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

some of you guys need to calm down and stop with the conclusions

its an article, speculation....we just have to wait and see what VSpans final decision is....

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Unless there's been a change to the CBA that I'm not aware of, this is not true. Jalen Rose was still on the Knicks cap for his full $16.9 million this year.

I think the only real question is whether V-Span can sign and play in Greece while under contract to the Rockets, and I don't believe he can.

Evan

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'm prertty sure that the rockets want billy to want to come back.

if he doesn't want to they will make him. that's a bad situation since we're dealing with a guy that gets whiney. he could become a distraction in that situation. however i believe that under adleman he will have a great chance to not only play but to start (if he proves himself this season).

if the rockets force him back he might just retire to get out of the contract.

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good point. You really seem to be fair and just...when it pertains to players. Too bad the same cant be said for coaches

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

There is a FIBA rule against this, IIRC