1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Rockets guard Spanoulis could be headed back to Greece

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, May 25, 2007.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=strocketspanoulis&prov=st&type=lgns

By Jeff Taylor Special to PA SportsTicker

Houston Rockets reserve point guard Vassilis Spanoulis is strongly considering a return to Euroleague champions Panathinaikos.

Sources close to the 24-year-old who failed to receive meaningful playing time as a rookie with the Houston Rockets, have told PA SportsTicker that Spanoulis wants to be in Athens again for personal and family reasons.

Spanoulis, who is now back in the Greek capital, had only good things to say about the Rockets in his blog that was published on the popular Greek website, www.sport24.gr.

"This year was a great exp erience for me," he wrote. "I keep only the positive things. The team supported me the whole year and people in Houston loved me and that was very important for me."

Those kind words aside, if Spanoulis' final decision is not to return to the NBA and the Rockets, the source said, his first choice in Europe is Panathinaikos where a three-year contract is likely.

Three teams in Spain's ACB, one in Russia and a second club in Greece are also prepared to offer Spanoulis a deal.

The 6-4 Greek guard was Panathinaikos' best player two seasons ago and a key man in the national side that upset the United States in the semifinals at the FIBA World Championship in Japan last summer.

He played in just 31 regular-season games and appeared in one playoff game for the Rockets. He averaged just 2.7 points during the regular season.

The arrivals of Spanoulis, and another Panathinaikos target in Nikos Zisis of Benetton Treviso, would create a logjam in the backcourt.

Dimtris Diamantidis, Milos Vujanic and Sani Becirovic are important players in the team while Tony Delk returned to America after the Greens' Euroleague win over CSKA Moscow earlier this month.

Two other Greeks are being monitored closely in NBA circles - CSKA Moscow's Euroleague MVP, Theo Papaloukas, and Pana's Final Four MVP, Diamantidis.

Diamantidis, the best defensive player in Europe for the past two years, has no interest in playing in the NBA but Papaloukas is drawing interest from the Phoenix Suns and Detroit Pistons, as well as the Atlanta Hawks.

A NBA club that wants to sign Papaloukas must clear two hurdles. It must convince him they have a lot of ambition and have chance of going far in the playoffs, and it must pay him at least the same amount of money he earns at CSKA which is thought to make him the highest-paid player in Europe.

Another Greek who has already been drafted, 6-99 iman mountain Sofoklis Schortsianitis of Olympiacos, has had a difficult year under new coach Pini Gershon and that could make the Los Angeles Clippers think twice before offering him a contract.

The 34th pick overall in the 2003 draft excelled last year in Europe and was a standout performer in the Greek national side at the FIBA.

2. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Take it easy Spanny. Too bad you came across assistant coach. See ya in the olympics.

3. two-sandwiches

Greece cannot give you a jumpshot vspan, might as well own to your responsibilities in Hou......you are turning into a big whiner. :eek:

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if he's not willing to work hard enough to prove himself here then we don't need him.

he has all the tools to earn serious minutes for RA. he should at least see what playing for a championship level coach is like before running back home.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nothing new in the article.

And, as I read the tea leaves and bones and consult my ouja board this is what I think is going to happen.

I think the Rockets are letting V-Span calm down from a very tough year for him, he was probably told by CD etc that he would play an important role and then when he got over, he got into JVG's dog house and things escalated from there.

So, V-Span goes to Morey and vents and then says he is thinking about going back to Greece.

Morey listens, says he understands it was a tough year, but that the team is going in a new direction and he is very much in their plans. Morey tells him that the new coach has a history of developing and playing European players, and V-Span listens...but is still madly frustrated.

V-Span leaves, goes back to Greece where he is loved, his old team says..."of course we would love to have him back". Rumors fly, the Rockets sit patiently by while all of this happens....

V-Span thinks........what does he want to do? The Rockets wait.....

Rick Adelman gives V-Span a call at some point and tells him that the slate is clean and that V-Span will have every chance to play this year.

IMHO, the Rockets are playing nice, but in reality, I don't think there is any way they let V-Span out of the contract he signed. He is on the books, and counts against the cap with a guaranteed contract, regardless of whether he likes it or not.

So, I believe the Rockets are hoping that V-Span gets over there, comes to his senses and comes back ready to give it another go, if not, I think the Rockets will force him to come back, and honor his contract.

This situation could get ugly, but hopefully V-Span is really committed to playing in the highest league, because if he quits.......well....let's just say I will not be on his side in that regard.

The Rockets always come first......he signed a contract.....he honors it....pretty simple to me.

DD

6. metalshred

metalshred Member

So he just wants attention, not basketball. He's not willing to prove himself or improve, why keep him in Houston, go home. I kinda liked span and wished he would be given some minutes in the next season, but if he really doesn't like the weather here no one will keep him. I'm losing my respect for him.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Again, none of these articles are saying V-span said he wants to go home, these are all just speculative.

DD

8. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

we should let him go back. if TMax was tuck in Europe, wouldnt you want him to come back to America? :D

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The writter really needs to be asking the Rockets if they intend to let V-Span out of his contract. It's not V-Spans choice...its the Rockets.

10. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

BOOOOOOOOOO

11. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

Not to kick a man when he's already dead, but VG really screwed things up by not giving Vspan a hard look during the season. What exactly did Rafer and Head do that proved to VG that we coulddn't use the services of Span??

BTW, those other Euros mentioned (Diamantidis, Papaloukas, Shorty) can all ball big time. Why are we not one of the clubs expressing "interest?"

12. Enron

Enron Member

I think he's just homesick. He needs to move some of his family here or hookup with the Greek Comet's player. His failure to become comfortable living in America may have been reflected in his poor game the whole time.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

maybe he needs a ba-ba

14. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

Nothing new...Just a rehash of what Span's manager originally said a while ago....Old news...

Here's an update:

After JVG was fired , any talk of Span moving back to greece DISAPPEAREDfrom greek press...

His manager 10 days or so ago said how he wanted to have an answer from panathinaikos within 2 days so he could start talks with the rockets about letting Span go, yadda yadda yadda...nothing hapenned after that

Instead Greek press is filled with all the positives that have been mentioned with regards to him staying in the NBA ...From how Adelman will use him more, Peja Stojakovic telling him he should stick around and be patient and how he can make it in the NBA, how the rockets management believes in him etc.

I'm 99% certain span is not going anywhere....

15. dookiester

dookiester Member

what exactly did vspan say in this article that makes him a whiner? was it "This year was a great experience for me," or maybe "I keep only the positive things. The team supported me the whole year and people in Houston loved me and that was very important for me."

16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

well

we'll see

If he does so, best wishes my man :( , you earn a team who will give you the playing time you need...

17. dookiester

dookiester Member

and on that note, im shocked people are so eager to see players WANT to leave the rockets. the last time i checked, we were lacking the guard department all year long...despite how you may feel about what vspan showed last year, everyone should be hoping he pans out and plays well next year, because our chances of landing a stud PG or SG by trade of FA are about as good as vspan making the allstar team next year. so you get to pick which version of wishful thinking you want to follow.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He may be under contract, but he has no duty to fulfill it. He can simply go back to his home country and say "screw you" to the Rockets. What are they going to do? They can't force him to be brought back to the United States and play for the team. He may not be able to play for another NBA team, but international teams aren't going to be ineligible to sign him because of a contract with the Rockets.

19. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

Speaking of which, Diamantidis would be JVGs IDEAL PG... Too bad he doesnt want to move to the NBA

Whoever picks up Papaloukas is gonna be one lucky club...However he is ridiculously expensive....I think he would consider the jump to the NBA for the same money he gets from CSKA or a bit more....But as I explained in an NBA dish thread, after calculating exchange rate, taxes, bonuses etc. An NBA team would need to fork out 5.2 mill dollars per year to give him the same amount of cash.... Im not sure any NBA teams will do that kind of deal for a non-NAB player....

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Thanks for mentioning this because this was my immediate reaction also. Can anybody here clarify the early termination options?