1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Yahoo] Rockets don't want McGrady back, continue to try to trade him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Dec 3, 2009.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

uhh.. that's not going to happen. even if yao isn't fully ready, he's going to play at least 10-12 minutes and increase those minutes gradually until he is ready.

AND I BET YOU, that's how yao is going to start out next season. he'll play 10-15 minutes initially, then his workload will eventually go up.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Cap room is more use to use than what he is giving now.....it is a win win situation.

If we can't trade him, we negotiate a buyout at a much cheaper rate.....if we can, it will mean better assets coming in to the organization.

And if both sides just sit all year.....then we get cap space going forward.

It is FULL OF WIN !

DD

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Whether fair or not, that's the math that the Rockets have to live with. They didn't choose it, but that's what's before them.

4. bigreg

bigreg Member

This what I feel will happen. So while I agree with DD that he should be out until he is healthy, I don't believe that he will be. In fact, reports are already coming out that Yao is ahead of schedule and could possibly be healthy before the end of THIS season. Yeah, I see a DOUBLE STANDARD coming from over at Toyota Center REAL SOON....

5. t_mac1

i'm fine with the rockets' stance. and i understand why they do it.

all i'm saying is let tracy know about it so he's not clueless, and he's going to continue to wonder, and eventually he'll open his mouth (like he just did with his skillzlab).

i think the relationship b/t tmac and management is over. that's why i don't think tracy would feel offended if management said, "we don't intend having you playing for us ever again." then he'll suggest figuring out a way to buyout his contract.

we need to resolve this as painlessly as possible, so it won't get ugly in the public. however, i'm sure it's unavoidable.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh please, we all know now that it's not about him outperforming Ariza's weak efforts.

He's being "iso'd" by your own words. Has nothing to do with him being ready.

7. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

There is a difference that you guys are not talking about.

Yao is well liked by ALL of his teammates...

McGrady is not liked at all by most of his teammates as well as most of the people in the organization. That's on him. His act worn thin off the court and they are just tired of it.

They are still bitter with his what about me approach to everything. They still didn't like the fact that he stated he never played with superstars or great players. He still thinks he is the same player that came here 5 years ago.

8. t_mac1

tracy is 100% healthy knee-wise. he hasn't had a setback at all during his rehab (which has been intense) and he hasn't experienced any pain for months (according to feigen).

nobody coming back from injury can get back to a high level of play by just practicing. that's unrealistic. you can't get back your rhythm, consistency, the NBA pace with just practice.

yao will only play when his foot is healthy. it will be healthy next year. but again, he is going to be extremely rusty, lack that rhythm and consistency, and thus he won't play that many minutes to start out with. as he regains his rhythm and flow, his minutes will go up.

that's how you typically handle a player coming back from a serious injury, like what tracy and yao have gone through.

a perfect example is amare. the year after his microfracture, in the first month of the season, 5 of his first 6 games, he played BELOW 20 MINUTES. when he got his rhythm back, he played 30+.

that's why i don't think it's as simple as tracy can't beat out hte guys in front of him. he's not going to command his usual load straight off the bat. you gotta work him back slowly and maybe after 7-8 games, he'll be ready to do his thing. practice won't do any of that.

9. t_mac1

just to add, ariza said something to this nature after the 11/23 practice, "tracy just needs a couple of real game situations and he'll be back to his old self."

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

So o great one, you think the most scandelous corporation in the world is going to keep paying another company when the person in question is ready? I keep going back to the greivence and i'm going to keep going back to it. If it continues to play out, a grievece will be involved, the nba will bring in doctors along with the insurance company and the rockets will have to do something. The insurance company is not going to keep paying if the guy can pay.

DD, you're waiting on that list and that exactly my point about the whole situation and what people are missing. The rockets aren't getting any high end player for tracy's contract. Now if you consider Martin and nocioni or dunleavy and murphy high end, then go ahead. The "superstar" that you speak of have way better options than houston and you know it. I would rather let his contract expire and use the 7m or whatever they have on a player of quality and go that route. People have these dreams of grand proportions about getting this guy or that guy with the contract and its not happening. If its as bad as you blow it up, do what the pacers did to tinsley which wouldn't affect the insurance money that going to be questioned soon anyway.

11. Carl Herrera

But what if that's not the case-- what if they think exactly what they said: they'll play him again if the situation warrants it, if he proves he's physically back to, say, his 2007/2008 level AND he's able to fit in with the strategies Adelman wants to run? And it's just TMac not able to get it through his head how they can EVER doubt he's ready to do that.

Sometimes a guy's perception of the world gets distorted after spending years being "the man." Look at Iverson. It's not necessarily "his fault" but it's just a reality that affects basketball calculations that Adelman and Morey have to deal with.

12. t_mac1

if only it was that simple. like i said, clutch's source has proven to be more and more accurate by the day. and it says adelman does NOT want to play tmac.

13. Hball

Hball Member

Yeah that's very true , I don't think it would be a problem if it were yao trying to get back on the court, but I know t-mac was frustrated to say he's never played with superstar players because he's never been out of the first round and he's never really gotten much help come playoff time, while he notice's kobe and paul pierce are surrounded with all kinds of weapons.

14. Carl Herrera

It depends on the contract between the insurer and the team. If the contract give the insurer grounds to not pay, I'm sure the insurer will do EVERYTHING in its power not to pay. So, for example if the contract says insurer only pays if TMac is physically unable to play any basketball as judged by a doctor. You bet a doctor will be involved to do the check up. On the other hand, if the contract is simply based on a guy having a surgery that renders him unable to play, and then after that the insurer is obligated to pay until in the team's sole honest opinion that he's ready to compete , then it's a different game.

Insurance companies will do what they can not to pay a claim, but the contract may obligate them to pay neverthleless.

15. leebigez

To me, it doesn't matter since DD has all the answers. We will see and whatever happens, i'm a rockets fan. I've seen dream,moses, and others play in another uni so it doesn't bother me at all. Hell kenny was replaced by matt maloney of all people.

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

You are darned skippy I have all the answers...

:p

And now back to reality....everyone has their time, Dream had to go too.....now, IMO....Tmac needs to go.

As for the grievance, I would bet that it will indeed happen at some point....the insurance company would be stupid not to check up on it...

But Tmac has no case, none, he is being paid, the team is letting him practice, all they have to say is..."he is not good enough"....and they are saying exactly that...but are saying 'He is not healthy enough".......either way, Tmac has no outs....he is drawing dead.

And I love how "Shoot the messanger" is prevelant.......I am just speaking my opinion about what is going on...I can't help it if I am right all the danged time....it is such a burden.....lol (I kid, I kid - insert obligatory Dan Langhi comment here).

DD

#716 DaDakota, Dec 5, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  17. leebigez

He was tearing duhon a new one from preseason on and it ended a certain way. Its fine if you want to say he's in that class which i don't but like Durvasa said, i'll stay out of all talks on this subject until we see him playing or in another uniform.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Let's lay aside the non-basketball factors. Basketball-wise, what makes them or anyone think that whoever they bring in will make the team better then T-Mac would long term? The only way to know how TMac will benefit the team basketball-wise is to play him with the current team, just like they play Andersen and Budinger and Ariza. No?

Besides, it is awfully hard to convince other GMs how good T-Mac is unless they see him play after the surgery. I am thinking Morey has resigned to shopping T-Mac just as an expiring contract and no more. That's what I am disappointed about.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Growing up can be tough on kids.....

No you won't you can't....it is impossible for you....you know it, I know it, don't pretend.....

:grin:

DD

20. Carl Herrera

He didn't lose his spot due to injury alone.... it's injury plus being a douche that cost him his spot.

And it's probably not just last year either. TMac is what he is, he's acted like what he is for years. It was tolerated when he was playing hard and playing well-- often after being pushed and dragged along by Van Gundy, who seems to have deal with and tolerate McGrady better than Adelman does. It becomes more tolerable as his on-court contribution diminishes and his off-court drama increases. It's a combination.

By the way, you mentioned that we should credit TMac for having played with 1 dimensional offensive players. Well.. can he actually play with multi-dimenasional players with his ball stopping game? Him and Artest playing together was painful. Not they wouldn't actually fight for the ball-- they took turns, but they took turns without working together. It's one guy going 1 on 5 and then the other does the same thing.