1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Rockets don't want McGrady back, continue to try to trade him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Dec 3, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Rudy T = Vernon Maxwell?

DD

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Its not obvious. From what people are saying in this thread, it wouldn't matter even if he did give them reason to believe it. For me, that is very disappointing. I held out hopes that McGrady could come back and make a difference for the team, and the Rockets aren't even interested in trying it.

3. Seth

Seth Member

Not always durvasa, if the coach thinks that McGrady will take too long to integrate, or that he lacks some skills. The idea of integrating him migh appear a little impossible with a guy that has not shown many signs of respect for his coach and teamates. Maybe the choce is a valid one, but difficult, and being that the team is playing well without him, and the coach might think we are playing as well or better than with McGrady, then the safest choice is not to play him at all. Even if there is a slim chance he will embrace the coach, system and players, play within them, and not piss his teammates.

4. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

i have spent the last two years waiting for the day i would visit clutchfans and see the "tracy is done as a rocket" thread. i have to say, now that it's here, its not quite as exciting as i hoped. i mean, i am positively thrilled that i'll never have to watch that guy play a game as a rocket ever again, but at the same time, i wanted something more emphatic than this.

5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

You know what? So did I......I thought he would come into camp in shape and ready to play in a contract year.

Then I saw what the Rockets were doing, they are developing for when Yao gets back next year.

Now, we can argue that is a bad philosophy, and that is a legitimate discussion, but because they chose that path, I am going to support them wholeheartedly and I love the fact that the team plays with effort for 4 quarters, that is rare in the NBA these days.

So to me, Tracy is just a square peg in a round hole....

DD

6. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

you underestimate how uncommitted and poor of a teammate he is.

they are doing the right thing by trying to be rid of him asap.

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

This can't be the OFFICIAL thread until he is actually gone....gonna have to wait a bit longer for that.

Dec 15th is a significant date....lots of teams with buyers remorse will have players available to trade.

DD

8. bjshot

bjshot Member

'Winning now' is the future. Building a winner is the best way to develop a player and the team. There are so many teams and players with ton of talents and great stats but always be losers.

If you can win more now, then just do it. sacrificing today for future never works in NBA.

9. durvasa

You say this, and yet in the offseason you were screaming for the Rockets head on a platter because they didn't go after Vince Carter (a guy who openly quit on his team without even the excuse of an injury). How come all of a sudden its about player development?

Let's get real. This isn't about business, if what certain insiders are saying here is true. McGrady may be a difficult player to deal with, but the Rockets aren't going to get anything better for him in a trade so they just need to figure out how to make it work this year. Its a tremendous waste, and a disservice to fans who want this team to accomplish something this year, to not even attempt to make it work.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Leaked what about insurance? i guess a random report has said les was mad and we know les is a emotional owner and haven't heard a blip. When i brought up krause, his grand scheme was have a bunch of cap room and get another star. He had brand,miller,and artest and all he had to do is get another big name and it was on. Well, garnett didn't want to go there because of the way they did mj and no other star wanted ot go their either and they had money. I do agree guys want to win and get paid but right now, the rox cant offer either when those same top shelf guys can go to miami and play with wade or denver and play with carmello. I've said a million times, i think the show should move on and that includes shane and yao too. I'm not trying to lump them together, but when this team is really ready to win, those guys will be almost useless and taking a huge pull on the cap.

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Signed Tim Duncan, Hakeem Olajuwon, Ralph Samspon, Yao Ming..etc..etc..etc...

Yeah, planning for the future never works....

I mean Greg Popovich starting a 19 year old PG instead of getting Jason Kidd didn't work either.

Come on...where do you people get this stuff?

DD

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'm going to trust a "player's coach" (who is also a future HOFer) and a GM who has been nothing but class and professionalism since he joined the Rockets over a spoiled egomaniac who thinks regular season games are for getting in shape.

This team is obviously invested in winning as much as possible. There is no reason to believe that the coach, GM or owner would pass up making the team better simply because they are mad at the guy. I can understand holding him out if they are unsure how he will affect the team considering we all know he is gone soon. No need to experiment when there is no long term benefit but that is not the same thing as holding a 100% healthy and committed McGrady out of games.

The reports from practice are consistently that McGrady isn't ready to play. Even nice guys like Ariza and Battier are saying these types of things. Only McGrady claims he is ready and we all know the guy is a liar.

13. Rockets9495

Rockets9495 Contributing Member

exactly.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Just like i thought the rox shouldve traded rafer and given the keys over to brooks after his rookie yr. I think they should lay more chase and less shane. Shane had agreat game last night, but that 1 in 5 and we're wasting our time. To be fair DD, pop played the 19 yr old over keeping daiels who was recognized early as a career backup

15. durvasa

Commitment should not be an issue for a guy who's in a contract year, and who by all account busted his butt in the preceding several months to come back and perform well. NBA history has numerous examples of players who dogged it most years, but played terrific in their contract years.

As for being a good teammate -- you know what makes someone a good teammate? Winning. Was anyone complaining about McGrady as a teammate when they were making a great run for the playoffs in the second half of 2004/2005? What about towards the end of 2006/2007 season, when they reeled off 22 wins in a row?

Kobe Bryant was an awful teammate when his team is losing. Then the last couple years his team is winning, and all of a sudden he's buddy-buddy with his teammates.

Again, I hope the Rockets are smarter organizationally than what is being suggested in this thread. I really do. Don't let emotions and grudges get in the way of putting the best product on the floor.

16. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

the answer is yes. really.

17. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

I can't believe our organization is handling this situation without class.

T-mac is healthy and ready to play.

It's not like he is a Allen Iverson.

T-mac could contribute to our team in a positive way IMO.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You were right about Brooks, who's coming along nicely, with a few ups and downs (turnovers!), but I think Adelman is doing what you want with Chase. He's getting more minutes, getting confidence, getting better at defense (still a long way to go), playing in the 4th quarter... I think he'll get more and more minutes as the year goes on, if he produces. Coach A will deal with Shane by cutting his minutes. While he might go in a deal, he doesn't have to in order for Air Bud to develop. Adelman wants scoring on the court.

Man, I love watching this team play.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

They are doing exactly that, putting the best product on the floor now.

The guys that are most committed to playing hard on both ends of the floor and playing within the system.

You know I was right there with you on that....even have a thread titled "Brooks is the answer"......

DD

20. durvasa

Who, and when.