1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Rockets don't want McGrady back, continue to try to trade him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Dec 3, 2009.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
    56 minutes ago

Houston: The Rockets continue to offer Tracy McGrady(notes) in a trade, but that will be a difficult proposition considering he’s the highest-paid player in the league ($23.2 million) and no one has seen him play in nine months. Houston seems willing to take back a longer-term contract for McGrady, but most executives believe his high salary makes it hard to put together a package.

Rockets GM Daryl Morey and coach Rick Adelman don’t want McGrady back with the team, and have insisted that he isn’t physically ready to return to the lineup. McGrady would love a trade, but knows he must start playing again for it to be possible.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...F?slug=aw-tradebuzz120309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

2. RocketMania1991

Why are we so against playing Mcgrady. This team is handling this situation horribly. You aren't going to get anything for him so let the man finish out his year and work hard to get a contract next year.

1 person likes this.
  3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I doubt teams don't want him and his expiring contract )that could be partially paid by insurance). The problem is putting together a package that works from a talent/personnel standpoint as well as making sure the numbers work.

Playing him won't do much for his value one way or another. Teams looking to deal for him are doing it for the money and not to rent a player who may or may not still be able to contribute.

4. tmacyao111

tmacyao111 Member

if we take on a longer term contract for him that will be just dumb. That would be Morey's first bad move.

5. halfling131

halfling131 Member

Don't see what's wrong with letting him get like 10 min a game for a few games... especially in situations such as the Thunder game where cook / taylor are in. Tmac without any knees is at least as good as taylor...

6. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

A longer term contract right before 2010 free agency? I dont believe it. Keep it moving

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Les needs to pull a bud at this point and force them to play him. Look at what happened when vy played.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Nothing in the article surprises me except the Rockets being willing to take back a longer-term contract. I think they would only do that IF they get under the luxury tax (need to save about $4 million in salary this year, and they always do make the move to get them under the LT) OR they get a significant rotation player as part of the deal. There has to be some incentive to deal him (Les' pocketbook or an improved roster) when you're taking back a longer-term contract, otherwise you just let T-Mac walk and work with the opening.

2 people like this.
  9. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

It depends on what longer term contract. If we can get a disgruntled superstar on a bad team or some young solid starters/role players that matches Tmac's salary, then you do it cause you could solidify the future of the Rockets for the next decade or so.

10. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

I'm guessing it's not for Bosh

11. timacmania03

timacmania03 Member

wow this is getting ugly

why is this team handling the situation like this

give the man a chance this is horrible

12. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

no kidding... that has shades of the pippen trade to portland :mad:

kill me now.

13. amaru

amaru Member

Its starting to look like the Rockets are done w/ Tracy.

But he won't get you any talent unless people see him play.

14. Rockets9495

Rockets9495 Contributing Member

I am sure you know how to handle the situation better then they do :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The guy quit on the team last year and took countless games off throughout his career because of "injuries"

The players, staff , coaches etc... ALL saw this. He has become the running joke for the organization for at leat the past year if not longer.

SEE THE LIGHT people.

1 person likes this.
  15. hoyarocketsfan

While I would be wary of a multi-year deal, this idea that we can't possible do one because of this summer's free agency is just silly.

Who do you think we are getting this offseason????

If we could get someone good (Monta ellis for example) through a trade, why wouldn't we do it?

Morey isn't stupid. Any trade he makes is going to get us a better player than he thinks we can get this summer.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Has Wojnarowski been wrong in any of his reporting regarding the Rockets?

He seems to be the most credible news source for our team.

17. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I really don't give a **** anymore. They are handling this situation horribly. Do something with him because the man wants to play, if he's not going to be able to do that here... ship him some where else and let us all get on with our lives.

I'm so tired of this.

18. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

whoa....MOREY

WHAT R U DOING???????!!!

LET THE MAN PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Get him off the team.

Not because I don't like him, but because I would like to move on one way or another.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Anybody who thinks we'll settle for a Pippen for bunch of middle of the pack Portland role players type of trade doesn't know Morey very well or doesn't give him enough credit. Morey will get value if he does trade Tmac.