1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] prediction on Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by SuperBeeKay, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

hey, thanks for asking: no new site, no plans for one. kind of enjoying not having the responsibility.

keith has one... in the bullseye, i believe...

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Kind of a strange way to make a point, given that it was only his second season. It' written as if Mario is in the middle of a long career coming off his greatest season. just thought it was strange.

3. Hey Now!

carr was someone else's mistake - kubiak merely inherited him. by most accounts, it was a condition for being hired.

i don't begrudge him for thinking he could salvage carr. again, the defending super bowl champions thought he was salvagale and this was after far more damning evidence than kubiak had back in 2006. he hadn't even wornthe gloves yet!

it didn't work out; he didn't let it drag out; little harm was done.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The defending Super Bowl champions thought he could be a backup.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Again, I'm not crucifying Kubiak for it, I think he just made a mistake.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

That was a pretty poor article imo. Started out mentioning how the team has made so many improvements...then BAM. 5 wins 11 loses. F that.

6. Landlord Landry

one game at a time. I say the Texans win on Sunday against Pitt.

7. stonecold999

stonecold999 Member

5-11 ???? How about 11-5??? this guys is giving no respect to the city of Houston..... :mad:

8. Landlord Landry

welcome to the rest of your cruel life.

9. Hey Now!

granted, but a back-up on a team with high expectations, placing him an injury away from being their starter. i mean, it's not like tim couch is bouncing around the league...

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't know that the quality of the team means anything.

Tom Brady's backup?
    Peyton Manning's backup?
    Ben Roth----'s backup?
    Drew Brees's backup?
    David Garrard's backup?
    Donovan McNabb's backup?
    Carson Palmer's backup?

There aren't many good backups going around. Tim Couch isn't in the league, but he was given a shot to make it back. He just couldn't do it. David Carr as a starter had shown that he was ineffective but that he was a warm body capable of making the occasional ok play. That's enough to keep a job as a backup in the NFL.

11. Hey Now!

let's not blow the initial point so far out of proportion that we lose sight of it. it happens a lot when carr is brought up...

carr was not kubiak's mistake - that's all i'm saying. everything he did with carr was defensible. but he didn't draft him, he didn't coach him his first four years, he didn't stubbornly hold on to him long after it was obvious he was a bust. and the one year he did have him, quite possibly, was because his hands were tied by his owner.

even if they weren't, and carr was here in 2006 based solely on kubiak's recommendation... there must be SOMETHING coaches see in the guy because two different regimes - good regimes with high expectations - have since signed him to deals.

i don't blame kubiak for anything with carr. by the time he was hired, carr had lost whatever he had; he was fried. BUT... it's not like we would have made the playoffs in '06, or he cost us some gigantic cap hit...

so to tie carr around kubiak's neck is wrong. i think he handled it about as well as he could.

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

In response to your useless misreading of my post, that's not what I'm looking at. To simply it for you: I continue to have reservations about Kubiak's penchant for going after players jettisoned by other teams because they couldn't play. So he brings them here, invests time and effort (actually he wastes time and effort) on them only to discover that they can't play.

Ahman Green actually showed that to him last year so instead of cutting his losses, Kubiak brings him back for an encore performance this season. Not being one to disappoint, Green promptly injures himself in the 1st preseason game and is not seen henceforth. So now they start out another season with a huge question mark for the running game again. It's almost as if they want their QBs to get killed because opposing teams have got to be looking at this licking their chops about ignoring the run.

Same thing with Reeves at CB. I live in Dallas and got to see him up close and personal and believe me, he is as bad as advertised. He was so bad, the Cowboys let him walk and then were forced to go out and acquire "PackRat" Jones and commence one of the most laughable PR campaigns on his behalf I have seen in years. But apparently Kubiak won't believe what he sees on film until the guy costs him a game or two or three. After all, he didn't exactly "light up" the preseason. Watching him out there brings back memories of the not so great Elvis "Toast" Patterson. And I won't even bother to mention Chris Brown at all because that is something that never should have happened at all. These kind of moves are baffling and do little to make me trust in Kubiak's judgement.

13. msn

msn Member

meh. One writer, rarely updated, blaaahhhh.

Really miss houstonprofootball.com (though I can certainly understand you guys enjoying the freedom).

14. msn

msn Member

Except that lots of franchises that resemble swiss cheese due to multitudinous, gaping holes in the "talent" or "depth" at various positions on the roster do the same thing. Had Kubiak inherited a roster like that of the Patriots, rest assured he wouldn't have to resort to bringing in jokers like Chris Brown and Roosevelt Colvin.

15. HillBoy

Yes he was. That's not in dispute. What concerns me was Kubiak's inability to see that Carr was done. Either he didn't see it at all which would raise a serious question about his ability as a coach or he did see it but was so supremely confident in his ability as a QB coach that he ignored the obvious and well, we all know how that worked out. No matter how many "fluff" articles they write about Schaub, it is still not certain that he is the guy as he and Rosenfels are virtually interchangeable at this point. That is the only problem I have with Kubiak. In all other respects, he appears to be quite decent as a head coach.

16. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I don't understand how the people I mentioned doesnt fit in the category in the players you named that failed..

So Kubiak spends time and scouts Mario and those players USING GOOD JUDGEMENT... but you say I misunderstood what your trying to say? Arent you just being a little dim?

17. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

^ stupid post got posted when I wasnt done.

So according to your thought process, you think that Matt Schaub should not be a quarterback because he was injured?

I understand how frsutrated people can get with ahman Green and his injury but there wasnt any Rb we could have signed this offseason (only one I could think of was Julius Jones)

18. HillBoy

Point taken but Kubiak willingly inherited a situation where he had to know going in that he had NO margin for error. There wouldn't have even been a job available here if the previous management along with the owner had not resembled a clown circus. That's why I strongly believe that he simply does not have the luxury of bringing in jokers who have failed elsewhere in the hope that they might, just might work out here. When you find yourself in the situation that he did with the Texans, you have to do it smarter and better than the other guy and not depend on the other guy making a mistake on a player.

19. HillBoy

Me being dim? Possibly (my wife would probably agree). But my point is that I see him making questionable decisions on questionable players for questionable reasons. And that gives me pause which is why I'm not totally sold on his judgement about such players.

20. Raven

Raven Member

If Kubiak thought Carr was a bust, you know who he probably would have drafted, so he made a one year mistake that kept him from making an even bigger mistake.

Can you imagine how devastating it would have been for the Texans to flush another top pick down the toilet.

Two number ones on two different quarterbacks who both turned out to be gigantic failures.

From that perspective, Kubiak's mistake was a gift from the football gods.